“A beautiful cool vibe that left us rejuventaed and happy for weeks”

Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Reviewed January 20, 2010

This was our first visit to Jamaica as we have previously gone all-inclusive in Mauritius. We arrived at Jakes having first spent a week in Port Antonio. The entrance was for us the start of the whole delightful experience, unassuming and discrete. Through to the foyer we were greeted by smiles and promptly shown to Mussels our villa for 7 heavenly nights. As we walked through the front door of the villa we were greeted by a large lounge space and then as the facing doors were opened we all squealed with delight at the most amazing vista and view of the Sea. The children ran exploring the whole villa whilst we stepped outside and gazed in awe at our sofas and tables and chairs and separate sunning deck – such space! There was even a double hammock underneath 2 almond trees. The girls 11 and 13 had the twin room and my 16 year old daughter and I couldn’t decide between the 2 spacious main bedrooms. Eventually my husband helped by saying we could have the one nearest the hammock and she could have the one with the outside shower - Perfect.

The first night we drank Dougie's famous "dark and stormy’s" laughing in our hammock, gazing up at the stars and repeating to ourselves how lucky we were.

We had the most amazing relaxing and special time as a family and as a couple. The children loved the saltwater pool, eating take away pizza from Jack Sprats, arts and crafts with Ronda, and dancing to drumming by local twins.

We visited the Black River, The Pelican Bar, Appleton Estates and YS Falls and all are to be recommended as tours through the hotel. We also visited the local doctor when my eldest daughter had an ear infection, we waited in the queue with the locals and then she was treated with the exact antibiotics as if we had been at home. Staff at the hotel collected her prescription for eardrops from Black River and hotel staff and locals looked us after very well indeed.

I had the most incredible massage in the SPA Pavilion overlooking the sea and promptly booked my husband in for his first massage ever whilst I returned for a fabulous coffee scrub.

The day before we arrived my husband had called to see if we could renew our vows and of course this was no problem.

On a warm and windy day we stood as a family (including Blackie) on the wedding pavilion and the local Preacher took us through our traditional promises and vows and blessed us. Blackie kept us company throughout our stay at Jakes and we enjoyed her company very much.

The five of us had breakfast together or at different times and there was always a superb choice.

We had lunch sometimes in the restaurant or Jack Sprats and mostly ate dinner at Jakes. The food was varied, tasty and unhurried we had romantic candle lit moments and once we even ate takeaway pizza in bed!

We were lucky enough to have a peep at an Octopussy ocean front room and it seemed as gloriously romantic and chic as they say. If we didn't have the children I would definitely want to stay in one!

Jamaica is the most beautiful magical country with a powerful feeling (like Tintagel in Cornwall). I recommend seeing as much of the country as you can and then relaxing at Jakes to let the sounds of the sea soothe, relax and rejuvenate

We kept our holiday feeling for a long time when we got back to the UK and I cannot wait to return

Explore Jamaica then relax at Jakes - its magical!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank beckytony

Reviewed December 30, 2009

We had a fabulous stay at Jake's in early December. The food and service were great and the people in Treasure Beach are just as friendly as everyone says. There are several "peddlers" who wander around town, some of them can be a bit pushy, but they are also very nice. My husband and I are always sympathetic to people in other countries trying to make a living, so we came home with some nice crafts :). We also took a great boat ride to the Pelican Bar with Flash (he is not connected with the hotel, but you'll probably see him around town.) The food and especially the drinks at Jake's are pretty expensive... About 250J for a beer. Everything at Jack Sprat's (right next to the hotel) is much more affordable... beers around 180J and pina coladas for around 350. Both restaurants are delicious. Try the fish tea, garlic lobster and lobster pizza at Jack Sprat's. Be sure to go by Alex's shop, just to the right as you walk out of Jake's. He has Red Stripe or Heineken for 150 that you can take back to your room fridge, and he is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. We stayed in Cockles Down (deluxe oceanview) which was fabulous, about 10 feet from the water with a good amount of shade most of the day on the front porch. The room itself is very small, but there is plenty of outdoor space which is all you really need. There are tons of mosquitos, so bring bug spray and use your citronella candles that the hotel provides. If you walk about 15 minutes east of Jake's there are a few little coves that are great for swimming and usually deserted.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2009

We had 3 nights at Jake's after a fortnight traveling all over Jamaica. We were sad not to have had more time.
The hotel has a uniquely friendly family atmosphere with professional service. Locals are in and out eating or having a drink at Dougie's wonderful bar and there is a real sense that the hotel is at the center of the small community.
The rooms are all individual bungalows designed by Sally Henzell with exotic colours and imaginative detailing. Sally comes from the world of film and you can see the creativity in every turn. Rooms all have a CD player and DVD player and you are free to borrow music and films from a library in Reception.
The gardens are beautifully maintained and designed with imagination, bringing the whole thing together.
Food is delicious. The menu changes every day and if you feel like a change, pop down to Jack Sprats at the end of the property for pizzas and a great seafood menu.
There are a number of activities available which can be booked in REception. We took a boat for a morning and went down to snorkel on Bob Marley reef, returning via the Pelican Bar (a little bar built in the middle of the sea on a sand bar - cold Red Stripes available). We also both had wonderful treatments in the Driftwood Spa.
The kids loved the pool, the excursions, snorkeling right in front of the hotel and the home-made banana ice cream.
If you're looking for a big all-inclusive with day-time and night-time entertainment - don't come to Treasure Beach. If you want genuine relaxation and a unique island experience - book now.
Did I mention Dougie and his bar?

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2009

My wife and I have just returned from what may have been the best vacation we've ever had, at the unparalleled Jake's. We've been fortunate enough to have traveled to some pretty amazing locations all over the world, and have to tell you that there's something magical going on at Jake's. It's the kind of place we're going to keep going back to. It's the kind of spot you want to keep to yourself, yet you want to share with those friends of yours who you know will "get it" right away. The staff are tremendous, lovely folks. The food is excellent. The rooms are great. (Ours was "Cockles Down".....a small but well balanced room with doors that open right onto the ocean. Lovely wood floors and a nice breeze.) The music that floats through the restaurant is perfect. All details are classy yet maintain a natural edge. The spot is raw and beautiful....this is not Sandals, and if you're looking for a sanitized experience keep on looking. If you seek a place that has effortless soul, funk, and elegance, look no further. Thank you, our new friends! We'll see you very very soon! xo Nathan / Nina , New York City

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nato1989
Reviewed November 4, 2009

I stayed at Jake's for a week with my wife, brother-in-law and his wife, and sister and her friend...we lived in Mussels, a great little seaside house with an amazing verandah 10' from the ocean. It's safe to say I consider the house my home away from home. This was our third time there and it gets better each time. We were there the first time in 2002 for our honeymoon and returned last year...and booked this year's trip before leaving last year. Things have gotten better with each visit. The thing I love most about Jake's is that I don't think of it as a resort or hotel...it's more like a cluster of beach cottages where we stay with friends and family - it' not too "overdone" or touristy...it's perfect!
Jake's is not for everyone though...if you're looking for a lot of people, nightlife, shopping, etc, etc, it's not for you. If you're looking for rest and relaxation, separation from the constraints of everyday life, a laid-back vibe, a chance to meet real Jamaicans, and what I consider a true Jamaica experience WAY off the beaten path, then it may just be perfect for you. This is no "disney" vacation and can't even be compared with any of the all-inclusives because it's so much different. I'll gladly return every year and look forward to each and every return trip.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I've been going to Jamaica for nearly 10 years and Jakes for the past 8 years. I love everything about it. I have stayed at least a dozen times probably more. The staff is excellent, the food fantastic, and the views to die for. You want the true Jamaican vibe this is your place. I'm a solo traveler and find this place respects my privacy and is always looking after me even when I'm unaware. I couldn't live without this place to run to! The sunsets, the boat rides, the steam fish, the beautiful Jamaican spirit resides at Jakes. The owners are lovely and there are ton of activities if you want or just hang at the salt water pool and meet tons of VERY interesting folks. It is truly a taste you will savor long after you leave, and you will want to come again and again. The SPA is excellent..outside if you like and the ladies rock it!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Swetlipsca
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Our week at Jakes was fantastic, couldnt have been better. We stayed in Abalone2 and had blackie the dog for company for most of the week. We went mostly to photograph the wildlife and were not disappointed, the Black river crocs came and posed for us. With humming birds flitting around at breakfast and frogs and hermit crabs at night by our room , we got some great pics. The food was as we had hoped , with authentic Jamaican fare on the menu. All the staff were great and ready to chat , they seemed to love their work, and who wouldnt at such a charming place. I want to go back now!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Sunset Resort & Villas
Sunset Resort & Villas
#3 of 5 in Treasure Beach
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!