“Over Priced and in Need of Repair”

Hodelpa Gran Almirante Hotel & Casino
vancouver
“Over Priced and in Need of Repair”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in December 2013 for 5 nights we were a group of 12 and had 4 rooms al together. The rooms are large and well decorated the hotel itself is decent with a very nice pool and lobby area. But the hallways are in need of major repair carpet and paint things like that. We found the price very high because the price we received when we booked was not including the locals taxes of 28% which they never informed us where not included it was a huge shock when we checked out and they price was all of a sudden 28 % higher. The staff was nice and accommodating.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank munecap
hoteleshodelpa, Ecommerce Coordinator at Hodelpa Gran Almirante Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Mr. Mencap

Thank you for choosing Hodelpa Hotels during you visit to Santiago. We are still in the process of renovating our property to enhance our guest experiences but certainly would like to apologize on behalf of the Hodelpa family for these details. We will be mending our carpets and painting the walls as we go along.
About the non inclusive tax on the room rate we have made a point to highlighting this information on our webpage as well as online travel agencies, but will certainly appreciate the name of the website where you reserved to make sure the information is stated .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2014

One of the cleanest nicest places to stay in Santiago. Hotel comes w/ a prestige like no other. I stayed here a few times w/ my husband and every time it has been great. We stayed on the top floor which you need a key to get up to. So for privacy this was great. I would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Try to stay on the top floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Betty G
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed here in early January for business. While all the staff was very friendly, the hotel was not. It's rundown generally. The bed linens and carpeting were old. There were strange smells in the hallways. The layout of the hotel is strange. The pool area is ok. The restaurant is ok as well.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank bizwoman
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We came here in the beginning of this month (January) 2014. I came with my girlfriend, I was here for business, and it was the prelude to our puerto plata vacation. The service was exceptional from the friendly staff at the front desk, to the maids and the bartenders.The prices per night range from $170 US to $220 for the room we stayed in at the imperial club on the 5th floor. I would highly recommend staying on the 5th floor at the imperial club. You can actually save money because breakfast is free, they have free snacks and free beer wine etc in the floor at a certain hour... We more than made up for the extra cost per night with the amount of food and beer we took.

Otherwise they have a very nice pool area that overlooks the city and mountain of Santiago. There is a pool bar and cabana style beds surrounding the Infiniti pool.

It's a great place to come back to if you're here on business, it feels like your on vacation at a resort in the middle of the city.

-PK

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Perry K
Brasileia, AC
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Other than the hotel staff there are only two things half-way descent about Hodelpa in Santiago, D.R. Those things are: 1. The pool area. 2. The 5th floor rooms. Any other aspect is so entirely substandard it does not warrant much of a review. However, I will explain ....

For those who have read my other reviews you know that I am not one to indiscriminately write something negative. In fact, I take great pride in providing a fair and accurate accounting of the people and places I review -- I'd suppose I feel an obligation to accuracy.

I have stayed at this property many, many times over the years. I have been lucky to have stayed on the 5th floor each time, except this last trip during which I was exposed to the reality of the Hodelpa -- it's a dump!

I suppose, much like going to Cancun and staying in a fancy hotel on the beach, or going to Panama and staying in a luxurious high rise condo above all the shanty towns in the distance; a stay at Hodelpa in Santiago, D.R. where you only see the pool and 5th floor rooms is the equivalent of running with the bulls in Pamplona if you were to wear blinders and never know the bulls existed. Everything seems great as long as you don't check under the hood, ... or sleep on a floor other than 5.

Hodelpa offers excellent service from well trained and attentive staff, but the hotel property is one of the worst I have seen (in it's class / price point) in any part of the world with the exception of the 5th floor rooms and the pool area. A quick walk down the fire stairs from your room to the lobby, or a stop on the second, or third floors will immediately enlighten you. Here you will be treated to a waft of insecticide which is sprayed daily through the halls, along with mildew ridden carpets, flaky plaster, all kinds of "buzzing" "humming" and grinding sounds coming from florescent light ballasts, motor pumps, a/c units, or some other combination of poor utilities management. Will somebody please call the Super!

The little things in hotels are the things that make the difference between ok, good and great; or in the case of Hotelpa, it is the difference between acceptable and dump. Leaky toilets, leaky faucets, buzzing light ballasts, noisy refrigerators, loud air conditioning, poor shower stalls that leak shower water all over the high gloss porcelain floor making the bathroom both slippery, uncomfortable and unsafe, horrible room service menu, poor to not functioning WiFi, and on, and on, .... These are the things that make an average property, very, very sub-par. Do yourself a favor and stay at another hotel.

Room Tip: Fifth floor or bust!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank S G
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My stay was very short, as I was accompanying my fiance on her layover, so I didn't get to make much use of the hotel's amenities, but I did get to use the pool. I loved the atmosphere by the pool. Thecanopy beds were very comfortable, the view of Santiago is nice and the pool is very clean. The room was spacious and clean and I didn't have a problem with the wifi. There wasn't much to do in the area as far as I could tell, but I wasn't there for that long, so who knows. We ended up grabbing a bite to eat at T.G.I.Friday's, which is right next to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cory P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely loved my stay! I was there for business! The Internet worked perfectly! The staff was friendly and professional! The breakfast buffet was delicious! I used the pool and gym! I would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013