“Excellent breakfast and acceptable rooms”

Hodelpa Centro Plaza Hotel
Panama City
“Excellent breakfast and acceptable rooms”
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I ended up here by mistake, as I thought that I was getting booked, on the Internet, at the other Hodelpa in town (the one near TGI Fridays), where I usually stay.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised despite my mistake. Here are the pros and cons:

<< PROS >>
- Awesome complementary breakfast served on a restaurant on the top floor with an bright, inspiring view of Santiago. This certainly has the right ambiance to get your day off to a good start
- Hotel staff is very courteous and friendly. "Buenos dias" and "Buenas noches" were phrases that I never missed from the staff there
- Conveniently located in the middle of town
- Great exercise room

<<CONS>>
- Not a place to walk around at night. If you like to go out for a stroll after dark, this is not the place for you.
- The lighting in the room was a bit depressing. With some help from an interior designer, however, they could be tweaked to perfection
- Hot water did take some time to reach my room (maybe because it was at the top floor?). Leaving the water on for almost 5 minutes (waiting for the hot water to come through) made me feel like an environmental criminal.

In summary, not a bad place to stay at all.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Lat-Am-Road-Warrior

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York, NY
Reviewed July 22, 2009

This hotel is so posh in the middle of an urban mess. We were in Santiago (not my favorite city) to visit relatives of the hubbster. I was so relieved every time we walked back into that airconditioned, clean, and elegant hotel. The bed was soft, the fridge was full of sodas and snacks and the internet was quick as lightning (and FREE). This hotel seems like it would be a great place for business people to have meetings as well.This hotel is awesome and you feel so right at home after fighting your way through the crowed streets, stench of dead meat, and plethora of dirt.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Gemelicious
New York
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Stayed 2 nights in May 2009. This hotel is located not far from the monument. You enter this hotel on Calle Mella, near the corner of Calle de Sol. Calle de Sol is a busy street with restaurants and shops. Location of this hotel is good. Clean hotel, friendly staff. I had a room on the top floor (maybe 6th floor). There is a small gym and the Vista restaurant on that floor. My room was non-smoking, most of the hotel appeared to be non smoking. I believe most casinos, restaurants and bars are now non smoking in Santiago, as well as in Santo Domingo. The room I had, there were many windows, about half the room had windows. Small room, clean. Wifi reception throughout the hotel. Breakfast buffet was included, which was in the Vista restaurant.

I was told that as a guest of the Hodelpa Centro Plaza that I could use the swimming pool at the Hodelpa El Gran Almirante, which I did on most days. From Hodepla Centro Plaza to El Gran Almirante Hotel was about a ten minute car ride.

Very friendly and helpful people in Santiago, I got lost numerous times driving and many people were more than willing to help me.

I ate at the Fridays Restaurant adjacent to the El Gran Almirante Hotel, very nice waitress, very clean restaurant. There is a small box on each table, whereby you can press a button and the waitress receives a signal on her wristband that signals her to come over to your table.

I also ate at Kuka Maraca restaurant which sits facing the monument. Smoking is allowed in this restaurant on the second floor. The waiters there dress like cowboys with cowboy hats, chaps and holsters with pistols. Food was good.

Hodelpa Centro Plaza has a parking area adjacent to the hotel with security. There is a door from the lobby that goes into a small casino. Across the street from the Hodelpa Centro Plaza is another casino, which I believe is associated with the Hotel Aloha del Sol. The Hotel Aloha del Sol is up the block from Hodelpa Centro Plaza on Calle de Sol.

Santiago is my favorite big city in Dominican Republic. Usually courteous and friendly people. Usually no terrible traffic, not like in Santo Domingo. Most service personnel in the hotels and restaurants do a good job, usually very friendly and cheerful.

I have stayed at the Hodelpa El Gran Almirante in the past and my room at the El Gran Almirante was nicer, but El Gran Almirante is more expensive.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank NY_Oak
Washington DC
Reviewed June 16, 2009

This hotel charged for nights not stayed by everyone in our party. Make sure you keep receipts. This seems to be a common practice with foreign travelers.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Charlotte NC
Reviewed February 6, 2009

A very comfortable stay at a very nice hotel. The pictures do the place no justice. Very modern amenities and the hotel staff was way above par. The staff greeted me at the door and Senor Juan was especially helpful with advice about where to go and what to do. Hotel is within walking distance of shopping, tourist attractions and restaurants but if you need a taxi there is always one available right out front. I will stay there anytime I am in Santiago.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2007

Stayed here 1 night (Feb 17th). Didn't find much to do in Santiago when I ventured outside of the hotel, but it was worth the walk around the town.
I only stayed here thinking my flight would be late and I'd miss the last bus to head to Sosua for my next hotel near the beach. 110 USD was a little much for my wallet though the hotel was very comfortable. The included buffet-style breakfast along with an omlette-making station was very nice. The restaurant on the 6th floor gave nice views.
The walls of my room were thin. I could hear near everything being said in rooms next to mine. The power constantly flickered which I counted on being on part of a caribbean island. The bed and bathroom were very comfortable. My 6th floor room didn't have a balcony nor opening windows though I noticed and include here a picture of the lower floors with balconies.
I didn't venture into the casino though it sure had security present.
Between the lack of things to do in this town, the high cost of the room, the high cost of the taxi rides from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the Caribe Tours bus depot, I don't plan to stay in Santiago again.

• Liked — Free internet computers & restaurant with wonderful breakfast on 6th floor
  • Disliked — Didn't find much to see/do nearby hotel
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
NYC
Reviewed August 20, 2006

Stayed there 2 nights. Hotel staff very friendly. Free breakfast was a total surprise to us and was superb! I am one who absolutely HATES hidden charges. The minibar is provided with a list of prices in case you wish to consume something. I don't have a problem paying for anything, just tell me UPFRONT how much it will cost me. Parking was available free. They also give you 2 complimentary drinks from the bar and a free car wash. The only negative thing to report is that the casino attracts locals at night and if you are street smart , you can see some of the local ladies in search of "tourist companionship". They are somewhat discreet but I knew what they were up to.
Overall, I was pleased and I would definitely stay here again if needed.

• Liked — nice, clean hotel. free non-continental breakfast
  • Disliked — locals gather around the casino during nights
  • Tips/Secrets — yes, take advantage of the free stuff!!!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank rayguzman