“the mountain high Lamb”
Review of Camp David Ranch

Camp David Ranch
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“the mountain high Lamb”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Camp David Ranch in Santiago, Dominican Republic, is a Restaurant site in the Hill of Gurabo, with a nice view of the cibao Valley, which Cristopher Colombus says " las tierras mas bellas que ojos humanos hayan visto " ( The most beatiful land the human eyes had seing) But its not only the landscape is also his excellent food, specially the lamb .And also the are a small collection of the old car, included various car the belonged to the Dictator Trujillo. Camp David is a great experience.

• Visited June 2012

Puerto Plata, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
“Now, you need to bring a credit card or 10'000 security deposit!”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Over the past 5 years I have been at the Camp David Ranch Hotel quite a few times, with mixed but generally fair results. The hotel used to have a competitive rate around USD 50.oo for a double room.
The views are as described by others breath taking and the hotel offers a welcome retreat from the noise, buzz and smog of the city at a manageable distance (IF you have a vehicle) after a day of business in Santiago. The restaurant tries hard to be upper scale... yet the quality of the food/cuisine may not always be at par with the price... still, I've often chosen to have my evening meal at the hotel restaurant enjoying the show of the glitter of the city in the dark bellow.

Usually, I call in, a day or so ago and make my reservation without any formalities or having to use a credit card. This time, too, only that the price quoted was a about 50% higher than usually (RD$ 2880/USD 74 instead of the usual $50).

I had three small children with me (which I indicated I would at time of my phone reservation) when we checked inn in the late afternoon. First I was asked for RD$ 3200.oo for the room, which was immediately corrected when I mentioned that I had been given a lower rate (apparently a summer "special 10% discount") and then I was asked for my credit card. I indicated I was going to pay cash in advance as always, but I was told I would still need a credit card (mind you, some of the rooms DO have a mini bar fridge, but they are empty except for two complimentary water bottles). An argument of "WHY" ensued and the lady at the front desk could only insist that it was hotel policy and had the misfortune to tell me that it's ALWAYS been like that (NOT true, it's NEVER been asked before!). I demanded to see a director. First I was told there was nobody else to talk to. I would HAVE to sign on a voucher with a RD$6000.oo debit on it which would be refunded should I check out and "no towels or bedding would be missing" (no kidding). I must admit, I started to feel offended and impatient.
Finally, a Lady which I had to ask several times about her whole name was called in: Mrs. Nicol Bermudez (there is a well known Bermudez family in Santiago which has a Rum brand). She claimed first to be the director and eventually to be the owner.
I was again told that this policy, because they've had problems with people who left without doing a proper check out had been in place for YEARS. I again countered that I had been at the hotel less than a year ago and that this had NOT been the case. She corrected, stating that it had been put in place about a year ago (now that she remembered). I refused to give my credit card and offered to leave RD$ 6000 in cash as a security deposit but with protest. She then stated, that if I did not like it, she preferred we'd rather NOT stay at the hotel (it was evening, we had a reservation and I had 3 children with me, I was not going to search for a hotel NOW!).
Anyways, I repeated I would leave the deposit in CASH. So, the said that if it was cash, it was the hotel's policy to ask for RD$10'000!!!
I about had it, but since I had the money on me, I did it. Asked for a receipt on which I demanded that the RATE would be written down too. Since it was a security deposit for the INVENTORY of the room, I asked to HAVE an INVENTORY as I would not like to have an other argument next morning upon check out on how many towels and pillow there may have been! They found THAT ridiculous but I insisted.
It was again suggested that I might rather find an other hotel and mentioned that ALL hotels do that. I told them no, that I am a frequent guest at Hotel Jaragua and Barcelo in Santo Domingo and that while they all ASK if one would LIKE to open a voucher for in-Hotel consumptions, they would not condition access to a room on accepting to surrender you card to them. Mrs. Bermudez told me that it was NOT true, that I could NOT get a room at those hotels without giving a credit card or cash guarantee (beyond paying the full room rate in advance)... so, essentially I was a liar... which I did not take very well after she had lied to me about the time at which their little policy had been put in place.

Unless they change their attitude, I must say, I will NOT go back to Hotel Camp David Ranch.
I am sorry, I might miss the place and the tranquility, but I can not accept their way of receiving guests.

... Jean-David SAUSER

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank Jean David S
MIAMI
“This place has one of the best views in Santiago after the Monumento!”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Is a beautiful place to visit! A must see! It comes with a price... To get there is an adventure but you will get there asking questions! BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU EAT there! Seriously! They do not have the best service! but other than that is worth the view!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank RiveraSanchez
New York City, New York
“Great food”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Good food quality, very expensive. The best view of Santiago city.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank Franciellis
Miami, Florida
“Nice View, service???”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This is a must go place in Santiago, they have the best view in town, but service is not excellent, specially if you go there on a busy night.
Food is ok but could be better for the price, is more to go and have a couple of drinks and enjoy the view, because is nice.
Still a good place to go but do not expect the best cuisine!!!

• Visited May 2011