“A great value!”
Review of Calibishie Lodges

Calibishie Lodges
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Calibishie
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I have had repeated visits to Dominica (8 years!) and have always chosen to stay at Calibishie Lodges. We just returned from a 14 day stay at the Lodges. Peter and Lystra were very helpful and accomodating. The food at the Bamboo Restaurant is fresh, healthy & tasty. Lystra made certain that the chef kept my wheat-free dietary needs in mind. The apartments are clean and spacious with wonderful views off the balconies. My husband and I have brought different friends - couples, singles, seniors and young adults - with us on 6 of our 8 previous visits because we love the island of Dominica and want to share it with as many others as possible. Everyone still raves about their visits to the island of Calibishie. The community of Calibishie is a warm and welcoming. People remember us from our previous visits. We think of it as our second home. Calibishie Lodges is just a short walk to the village of Calibishie yet removed enough to have quiet and privacy from the immediate village. I recommend Calibishie Lodges to as many others as possible.

Room Tip: Both the apartments and the lodges have great views. Stay at the lodges to be closer to the restaura...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DominicaGirl

Reviewed January 5, 2013

After spending two weeks at Calibishie Lodges in Dominica,meeting the owners Peter and Lystra,it was a warm,exciting,friendly adventure. The staff was friendly,the food was tasty and I'm ready to visit there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank carol h
Reviewed December 20, 2012

It was a lovely place yes. But there is NO security in the sea view appartments. There are some minor security features, but having bars on the upstairs windows, and not the main floor is just one of the unsafe things about this place. In addition to the owners at the time (Peter and Lystra) telling patrons that unsafe locations were completely safe, they did nothing to calm my fears when I told them someone was walking around my unit at night all night long. I was terrified. I asked if we could review the tapes as there are very few people that would hurt me, but they existed, that's when I found out that despite the stickers informaing us that there were security cameras, there were none. When I asked about our internet connection being restored the owner tried to extort more money from me. There are no telecoms from the rooms to the house, and the internet is worse then if I were stealing my neighbours and they knew. My fears of someone attacking me or simply breaking in fell on deaf ears when I told the owners. I told the cops,and they arranged for nightly cruises by my place since the owners weren't ensuring I was safe. To let you know how real the danger to me (a small female) was, the main house got robbed within a week. Dominica is a wonderful place, stay a night then stay with a local. The locals are warm and protective and will tell you of the dangerous places and tend to keep you very very safe. Trust your gut. I would not stay there again. Too inconsiderate and snobs to boot. well one is. the other is nice, it's unfortunate but true. (I was on a couples trip, but the incident was when my partner was off island and the owners knew it)

Room Tip: Get one on the upper level, If you can get a two bedroom do, the patio is private then. If you go...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DougJ76
Calibishie-lodges, Owner at Calibishie Lodges, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Unstable Gut
Strange but true- booked for 1 month and stayed for 3 months- in what is described as ‘unsafe’, then absconded owing us $2,500.00. The problems started when she (the small female) was left by her husband who had to return to Canada for work, leaving her on her own. No fault but hell, fury, and woman scorned? Generally very agitated… paranoid? and had an enormous row with management. After that, (last 22days) nothing we could do would please them and they complained about everything. A local patrol was at management and a local initiative instigated because of another incident in the area and then because (small female) complained that she had a local stalker in the village. We encourage our guests to be sensible, Calibishie, like Dominica is very safe but like anywhere has had its incidents.
By all means trust your gut but only if it is safe to do so – and read all the other reviews.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our guests for their kind and generous comments over time and in the future.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I spent 7days at the Calibishie lodges Dominica i cannot say anything but GREAT the owners Peter and Lystra and the staff were quite friendly and informative, the food was very tasty, when you visit try the natural fruit smoothies I had a pine apple smoothy SWEET.

Room Tip: All the rooms at the lodges are great The SUN DANCE SUITS is beautiful i stayed there
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cheryl N
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Upon arrival, we were immediately overwhelmed by the beauty of this nature island. Dominica is very much suited for adventurous travellers and people are very friendly to assist you in any way. We stayed in Calibishie Lodges for our honeymoon, and it truly was a brillliant experience. Peter and Lystra are fantastic people and very eager to learn you everything you need to know to discover Dominica, from taking the local bus to exploring Chaudière pool! Our appartment was very clean and quiet. Dinner and breakfast at Bamboo restaurant were delicious. Dominica is really a beautiful island with stunning nature. Also, nearby there is an excellent spot at Pointe Baptiste where you can chill out on the beach whilst enjoying a housemade Rum Punch.
For future travelling in Dominica, we will not hesitate to book another stay at Calibishie Lodges!
GC

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

At about 6 pm we learned that American Airlines had cancelled our 2 pm flight. The planeload of people scrambled to find places to stay, my wife and I and our friend found Calibishie Lodges. Note that my wife and I own a home in Dominica, love this island and its people, but getting our car back, traveling across the island again and then coming back was not an option. Calabishie Lodges was quite gracious to everyone who needed an emergency room. It's a lovely spot, and quite a charming place. Our room was small (but we had way to many bags because of the nature of our trip, and who wants to stay inside anyway). When we finally got to the Lodges, we dumped our bags and spent more than an hour in the pool cooling off. We finally came out and had a late (past hours) quite nice dinner. American once again screwed up the next morning, didn't tell us they had booked a special flight at 9 am. Only by chance did we find out. The owner scrambled, found a friend on this Sunday morning who graciously picked us up and drove us to the airport. American Airlines finally did something right and held the plane for us. We've never stayed over on the north side of Dominica, but plan to spend at least one night the next time we're back. We want to explore this beautiful part of our second home.

Room Tip: The island and ocean views are stunning. It looks like rooms toward the right as you face the proper...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Daniel J
Reviewed August 2, 2012

It has been a while since I stayed here (November 2008). Stayed for about 3 nights and 1 nights more later on during the trip before flying out of Dominica. It is in a great location on the edge of the village of Calibishie. Rooms are clean and large and we had a great view over the mountains, village and the ocean further away. The Belgian owners are extremely friendly and make your stay here much more pleasant. They can inform you about things to do and see in the surrounding area. The food (both breakfast as well as dinner) is fantastic as well. And the price is just right and fantastic value!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calibishie
Calibishie Cove
Fort Young Hotel
#1 of 7 in Roseau
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Calibishie Lodges? Share your experiences!