“stop over during trip”

Ranked #9 of 10 Restaurants in Calibishie
Sugar Mtn, NC, USA
“stop over during trip”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

nice but in more in town the food was good and close to other options within walking distance.

Visited May 2011

Morin Heights, Canada
“Great Owner Great staff great places”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Thanks to Chris & Linda! Food Is excellent. staff are taking care of you! second time here and i will be back again and again!

• Visited June 2011
Fredericton, Canada
“Wonderful stay!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I stayed at the Apartments for 10 days. Chris and Linda were helpful everyday when I was looking for something to do for the day. The food in the restaurant was good. I didn't find it over priced, it was always tasty! The apartment was clean and the linens were changed twice a week. Very secure apartments as well! Not that you feel uneasy in Dominica, but you never know.
I do plan on going back there someday, as I was backpacking the Caribbean by myself the first time. Calibishie is a small town, friendly locals, and a beautiful place to relax and get away form everything.

• Visited May 2011
Asheville, NC
“Better options in Calabishie”
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We ate at the Calabishie Lodges the first night in Dominica at their Bamboo Restaurant. It has a pretty good atmosphere and their drinks were quite good. However, the food itself was overpriced Dominican fare. I had the blue marlin, which was too dry. Also, it took forever for us to get our server to pay attention to us. I finally had to just get up and ask to pay the bill because nobody came to our table. It wasn't a terrible experience, but I think there are better places to eat in Calabishie such as Glenda's Atlantic View that also cost less.

Reston, Virginia
“Raw chicken, surly unapologetic owners, overpriced deceptive location”
Reviewed June 20, 2009

We were fortunate enough NOT to stay at the Calibishie Lodges for the simple reason that it is located right on the main road through the village, perched on the side of a steep hill climb at the edge of town. Just while eating dinner there, listening to the roar of motorcycles and trucks grinding gears would not make for a pleasant stay in Dominica. Perhaps the view from the rooms' balconies were better, but you could see nothing but trees from the pool/bar/restaurant area. People come to the north end of the island to get away from the third world noise and traffic of Roseau and that was definitely a buzz kill at this location. With limited dining options in Calibishie we opted for dinner there one night and had a terrible experience. Without a doubt the most expensive menu on the island (including the dismal offerings of the Fort Young Hotel restaurants), the meal began with an incorrect drinks order (dark rum vs. clear rum) and degenerated from there. My chicken dish arrived and as I began to eat it, the meat got pinker until I discovered that half of the chicken breast was RAW. I called the owner over and quietly pointed this out. Not saying a word, he removed the plate and brought the remaining chicken back cut into pieces and presented with some more salad, etc. Not a word of apology, no reassurance that it shouldn't have happened, no offer to reduce the bill, provide a free drink or dessert, just a surly return of the offending remainder recooked. Perhaps this is a cultural disconnect, I think the owners are Dutch/German/Belgian (?) but that kind of service/attitude is unacceptable by first worlders running a tourist operation anywhere. And then after paying the bill, he has the unmitigated audacity to say "Thank you, come again" as we were leaving. To which I replied loudly for all to hear, "Don't worry, we won't be back. I just hope I don't get sick from the raw chicken." His reply, "I don't think that will happen." And my parting shot was, "If I do, I'll make sure to come back and vomit in your pool!" Needless to say, I did suffer some intestinal distress that evening, nothing that an imodium couldn't cure which was not debilitating the next day.