“Wonderful Evening”

Ranked #1 of 1 Georgetown B&B and Inns
Cranbrook, Canada
“Wonderful Evening”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

My wife and I had a truly wonderful evening in the Historic Georgetown Inn. The inn itself is remarkably well kept and full of history, yet its charm is that it truly has the warmth and feel of a living home. Our room was spacious and had lovely windows and access to a large second floor deck. The location was perfect as it is in the centre of town and I had an easy 5 minute walk to the dock for a great lobster fishing experience the next morning (be sure to ask them about it). But better than the physical surroundings was the fantastic hospitality ..... in a matter of minutes we felt like family and we thoroughly enjoyed our conversations with all the staff. And the best of all was definitely the food ..... our best meal in PEI and believe me, all of our meals in PEI were great. If you can't spend a night in Georgetown, at least go there for dinner ..... you won't regret it!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
BC
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We booked online months in advance for a particular room which we were assured via more than one email confirmation was ours. I emailed a couple of weeks prior to arrival to confirm reserv ation but did not get any response from the owners. Upon our arrival - we were early - the owner Joel said they were not ready for us and suggested some places for us to go to kill some time but also at that time alluded to there being a mixup with our room and that the Rose Room would not be available to us. We came back at check in time only to be told that they double booked our room because we only used the internet and the other person PHONED (!?) so he made us some offer to move up to the 3rd floor (dungeon). We looked at the 3 claustrophobic rooms up there and declined the offer. We moved on to other accommodations in the area which were very nice. We will never book with the Georgetown Inn again nor will we ever recommend it to anyone we know. We thought we were taking care of things by booking so early and getting several confirmations, but I guess the phone trumps the internet in this establishment!
We have travelled extensively around the world, booking accommodations via internet, and have never had this happen before. The owner, Joel, also seemed to be quite non-chalant about the whole deal which really ticked me off.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed at the Georgetown Historic Inn for 3 nights. Dawn was the most charming and perfect hostess, her husband Joel seemed pre-occupied and was not overly friendly, but he can really cook. The food was amazing. Robyn, our server, was very knowledgeable and sweet. The rooms are beautifully decorated and soundproof. We stayed in the suite and a little fridge would have been welcomed. The room is certainly large enough for it. The wi-fi did not work from my laptop, but there is a PC for guests to use, however, it did not work either the first evening. I did check my laptop in a parking lot of another hotel and had no problems getting reception, so I know it wasn't my computer.
Georgetown is a sleepy little town, but there is a theatre across the road and one night there were people dining at the Inn before going to a show.
I would definitely stay at the Inn again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yegob
kirstenhug
Reviewed February 20, 2010

My husband and I are Islanders who were looking for a "night away". We booked their Romance Package in the Captain's Room.
When we arrived the room was spacious, clean and ready, complete with Champagne and some tasty treats which would foreshadow our meals to come.
Dinner was a gourmet experience, both Dawn and Joel were friendly and eager to provide us with exceptional service.
Breakfast was as fantastic as supper was the night before..creative, tasty and wonderfully presented.
The Romance package, which included the room, gift basket, champagne, dinner voucher and breakfast was an incredible value.
This was an ideal getaway!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed October 20, 2009

When we were checking in Joel was very preoccupied and not a typical warm and welcoming inn owner (we're from the Napa Valley in CA -- lots of B & B's). The place was virtually empty on a Sunday afternoon and when we asked if we could switch rooms to the 2nd floor instead of the 3rd floor, $15 more. It would have been good business practice, since they were empty for him to let us switch at no extra charge... When my husband inquired about dinner at the inn, he asked if I could possibly have dinner in the room because I was suffering from a bad cold. The waitress went to the kitchen to ask the owner if this was okay and Dawn came out with her hands on her hips and very rudely said "absolutely not!!!" We had no choice but to eat in the dinning room, the food was good. The breakfast the next day was very good. When we packed up and came downstairs, there was no one to be found. But, this seemed typical for this particular B & B and didn't surprise us. It's too bad they don't quite seem to get it!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Markham, ON
Reviewed September 23, 2009

My husband and I arrived at the Georgetown Inn on 18 Sep 2009, our 10 year wedding anniversary. We were on a "golf package" our first round was to be the following day and the forecast was rain, Dawn greeted us and quickly took care of chaning our tee time to accomodate the weather. Our room, The Heritage Room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The Inn was full, however outside of meeting the other guests in the parlor or the dining area, we never heard them. Dawn & Joel as well as the other Inn staff were great. They were accomodating, friendly and helpful, right down to when we were to head out and we had a flat tire, Joel pumped us up and away we went.
The dining experience was out of this world. Breakfast was included in our stay and each morning we were given choices of 4 or 5 different hot meals.My husband and I chose different items so we could try more and we were never disappointed.
We ate at the Inn both evenings having amazing meals. Our second evening, we tried the "Trust Me" option off the menu. Joel needed at least 3 hours before the meal to prepare. We spoke to him about things we enjoyed and thing we did not. Joel prepared a 6 course meal that was up there with the best meals I have ever eaten. Dawn, who is opera trained, serenaded on the piano with some show tunes and a tune she herself wrote about Georgetown. The Inn the staff and the owners a treasure, you will be missing out if you don't at least stop in for dinner!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jaqohrts
Toronto
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I had the Oyster trio and the Lobster Pot Pie while my companion had the Sesame Encrusted Scallops and the Halibut. The appetizers were quite good, and their bread was fantastic.; but I found the Lobster Pot Pie rather boring --- the peas and carrots were too traditional and the sauce did not have much flavour. My friends fish was somewhat dry, but the potatoes were amazing. Our servers were very nice, but I found the female owner rather rude and unwelcoming.

We did not stay at the Inn, but it looked very nice.

I am rating it poorly because the owners behaviour made me really uncomfortable and it spoiled my evening.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Rodd Crowbush Golf & Beach Resort
Johnson Shore Inn
Johnson Shore Inn
#1 of 1 in Hermanville
Lanes Riverhouse Inn & Cottages

Been to Georgetown Historic Inn? Share your experiences!