“best years ever”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Bend
Pinery Provincial Park
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Every year my family and my sons hockey team and their families would book campsites in Burlie and the dunes we loved it and now that my son has grown and has his own family we still go to the Pinery an stay for a week every summer. its great I could not have one complaint ever the flea market, Grand Bend's entertainment, the tours through the park and even the outdoor theater were all super great and we never got a bad site they were always beautiful and the management very helpful.

Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank mopsey626

Reviewed February 25, 2010

Love the Pinery. Have been camping there since I was a kid (over 20 years). Don't think the washrooms and showers have ever been cleaned! Great beach though.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tdot99
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I was really excited about taking my family camping here. I use to head up to Grand Bend from my hometown of Port Huron, and I really love this area. First and foremost, It was really easy to reserve a campsite on-line - but I'm not sure the pictures gave me an understanding of how the Park looked - ambiguous pictures of wildlife and trees - beautiful pictures but not very descriptive of the park and its unique attributes.

The nature here is beautiful. Tall pines nestled on the shores of Lake Huron. I was really exited as we began our drive to our campsite in Burley (various names for different areas of the park). The drive was long and remote - beautiful scenic drive that took a good 10 minutes. However, I couldn't believe what I saw upon arrival to the "remote" campsites. These sites were literally on top of each other. Our site specifically was adjacent on all sides to neighbors and the sparse trees and brush in-between didn't do enough to warrant a "remote" rating, unless you consider parking in Central Park as "remote." My disappointment waned as I finished setting up camp and headed to the beach. It was a good 3-5 minute walk, and as we ascended to the top of the dune, the beauty of Lake Huron hit me. It was a hot day, so I ran to the water and took the most refreshing swim EVER!

The first night we were kept up ALL night by extremely loud kids (late teens early 20's) that were obviously drunk - yelled and screamed until about 8 am. It was very disturbing, and all our camping neighbors were very upset - I was PISSED. My anger however, wasn't directed at the kids, it was directed at the park management that NEVER did a drive-by the whole night. Extremely disappointed. We (about 5-7 campsites) registered a complaint and found out that they had been warned the previous night. I was so pissed that these kids weren't kicked out. Lots of people packed up and left. We stayed the night but I made damn sure that I had assurances form the park ranger that this would not happen a second night. I think the Ranger went to visit their site, and I'm not sure what he said but didn't hear a peep the whole night.

All-in-all the kids had a great time. We went for bike rides, and swam the whole time. The beach is beautiful - mostly soft sand, but some smooth stones that were bright red, yellow, green - lots of colors. We saw Cormorants, Tit-mice, Nuthatches, and lots of black squirrels.

I would come here again, but don't put up with any crap. They have yellow phones to use if campers are breaking rules - use it.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
13  Thank RedWingRob
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Took a last minute site at the Pinery this week, there were very few left available in the park. After a quick and friendly check in by the teenage staff we went to our site - 629 in Riverside 3, which didn't look very promising being a fairly open pull through right across from the washroom, but it was pretty much all there was. The park was apparently packed, but surprisingly, you would hardly tell. We had been there late last fall, and I thought I would really notice a difference this time, but really I didn't. Our site turned out to be fairly decent, with trees on 2 sides, and we blocked off the other sides with our tent and car. There was a really nice little path down to the river right across the road, and the kids fished there a number of times. The new washrooms and showers were GREAT!!!! They weren't spotless, but they weren't filthy like I have heard reports of. And no line-ups either, ever actually. I had no problems getting in a shower at 8:30 a.m., and only ever saw one or two people waiting. I like the new way of putting all the showers on the end instead of inside the washrooms. We bought wood from the woodlot, and it was actually dry and decent! We saw no racoons ever (although we always keep our food in the car), but we did have 2 friendly chipmunks and a beautiful pair of cardinals on our site. I thought it would be noisy, especially near the washroom, but after about 11:00, it was really quiet. The only exception was our next door neighbour who apparently only had one volume setting rather it was 12:30 noon, or midnight - when I heard him telling his wife, (and half the campground) that he was a night person. Although I heard him again at 7:00 a.m. shouting about who wanted french toast and bacon, so apparently he was a morning person too ;-). We went to the beach twice, and found the comfort station there clean, and the beach clean, and not overly crowded. The kids loved building with all the driftwood. We rented a canoe and a kayak, and there was only a short line there as well. We were only able to get our site for the one night, so after we packed up, we found a day use spot on the river, and the kids fished a bit and caught some catfish. They also spotted a huge snapping turtle. All in all, a fantastic trip. As we were leaving, the kids were asking when we could go back and stay longer.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank canadianmom2three
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed at the Pinery in the first weekend of June. We booked two adjacent sites in Burley campground. The drive to Burley itself is a stunning site. A winding road that twists its way down to the campground under a canopy of trees. It truly felt like we were on our own in the wilderness for a while.

Whilst setting up I took my son (3 yrs) for a wee walk to explore. We found the wooden staircase to the the beach on Lake Huron and were astonished at the beautiful view. Sunset was like a whole other world with a pink and purple sky and the waves crashing to the shore. Of course, vigilance is necessary on the walk with the young ones but it is completely worth it.

3 days is not enough time to take in all this park has to offer. We had the chance to to take the 'Cedar Trail'. ( Look out for the creepy demon tree!) There were many other walking and biking trails as well as bike and canoe rentals. Fishing as well, though there were no catches in our group. A well-stocked store and snack bar are also available but buy your firewood up the street (at the Shiver Shakes? place) as it's the best deal in the area. Also there are no gas stations open late ANYWHERE nearby so fill-up in the daytime if necessary.

The bathrooms were clean and the showers are free. We never had any wait time but I imagine there would be in the mid-summer when the park is at full capacity. Our site was spacious and well-shaded as well. The racoons are very bold here. One cheeky rascal came up and stole my friends chocolate bar whilst we were sitting right beside it next to the fire. Lock everything in your car at night. I do mean lock, I'm convinced these little guys could handle a car door no problem.

All in all, a great trip and we would all definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank villagevagabond
Reviewed October 12, 2007

Grand Bend:Pinery Provincial Park
Date:October 12, 2007
Reviewer: Second year Travel and Tourism student of Humber Amber Hopkins

We just returned from a weekend trip from the every talked about Pinery Provincial Park. The fall season is a great time to go. The fall colours are so beautiful! The best part of going this time of year, is there are no line ups and you are free to use the park at your own leisure.There are some people in the park if you like to join them in a campfire as we did on our first night. As we learned very quickly buying the wood from the park was a mistake, due to it would not burn. The firewood we bought from the pinery just smoked us out of the campsite and it did not burn at all! (I was not a happy
camper!). This is how we met our new friends, where we learned were to buy firewood.Going outside of the park there is one well established place that wil take care of you. Later that night when we
returned to our campsite the little bandits tried to attacked our cooler, but our lock was better than them. The next day we enjoyed a long walk down some of the parks trails. Our favorite was the trail that took you along the Ausable river it displayed a nice variety of wild life. We are looking forward to another trip to the park durning
the winter.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank amsterdam1721
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Great park for nature lovers! We went tent camping July 6-8 in the Riverside 4 campground. Most of the sites were close together with some trees for privacy, but there were a few heavily treed areas where privacy was excellent. The chipmunks were rustling around in the woods around us all day and night.

The camp store is great if you need a french fry fix, and the ice cream was appreciated during the hottest day of the year!

I would rate the Pinery #1 for activites (walking trails, bike rentals & paths, and canoe/waterbike/paddle boat rentals, nice beach).
We normally camp at Port Burwell provincial park where I feel the washroom facilities are nicer. They did their best at the Pinery at keeping the washrooms clean, but there were only 2 showers for our entire section! I waited in line for an hour for the women's shower (at 6pm), but it was well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
#7 of 8 in Grand Bend
Bee 'n Bee Bed 'n Breakfast
Bee 'n Bee Bed 'n Breakfast
#2 of 11 in Grand Bend

Been to Pinery Provincial Park? Share your experiences!