“Would not come back to the Pinery”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Bend
Pinery Provincial Park
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We recently came back from 3 days camping at Pinery Provincial Park in Ontario with friends. The water looks very pretty and the sunsets were beautiful but the water was ice cold and murky. Also, the beach (at Burley campground) was swarming with biting little flies! We couldn't sit still for a minute without being bitten by these vicious little things that were everywhere on the beach. Sadly, I couldn't swim or relax on the beach. Also to get to the beach, you need to climb up a tall staircase and to a platform and then climb all the way down.

Surprisingly, there were not many mosquitos at our campsite. The washrooms at the comfort stations were clean and well stocked with toilet paper. However, I think I saw a tick on our picnic table. I didn't know what it was at first until I came home and Googled it. Beware of ticks if you go there. We will not be coming back here.

6  Thank Travelgirl H
There are newer reviews for Pinery Provincial Park

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Once again, Pinery didn't disappoint. The beach is beautiful and hard to beat. The water is shallow and sandy (no rocks to step on!) and great for small children. Many of the comfort stations have been re-done in the past few years. We found them to be clean and well maintained. You are bound to have a great time if you follow some simple tips:

1. Try to go during the week. We were there during the busiest time of summer and the loop we were in was absolutely quiet after it got dark.

2. If you have a tent, choose Burley campground. It is for tents and smaller trailers with no electrical hookups. It offers more space between sites and has easy beach access.

3.. When choosing a site, look at the pictures on the reservations site and try to choose a site on the outside of the loop, rather than in the middle. The sites in the middle are smaller, closer together and hence less private.

4. Watch out for poison ivy! Its everywhere! Especially in shady areas.

5. Watch for ticks! We found 3 on our most recent visit. Two on our beach towels (at the beach) and one in our tent. Thankfully they were not the type that transmits Lyme Disease but both can be found. Do a tick check on each other every night! A tick must be attached for 24 hours in order to transmit the disease.

6. Get cheap firewood and ice on Hwy. 21 instead of the park store or woodlot. You can get both at Shivers and Shakes.

7. Don't drink and drive! OPP was doing a ride program inside the park on a weekday evening.

9  Thank WoodYukon
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have been to The Pinary on a couple of occasions and have enjoyed it. The Sauble River is outstanding to paddle (especially in a kayak) and the beaches are truly grand. The sites, like in all provincial parks, range from outstanding to poor. There is, of course, no water or sewer service at any of the sites in the Ontario Parks but with a little planning you can get around that pretty easily. The camp store is well stocked and they have both bike and canoe rentals available. There is a small restaurant, and although I didn't eat there, the food looked fine (standard fare, hotdogs, hamburgers etc). There are nice cycling paths around the park as well as several hiking trails. It is close to Grand Bend if beach towns are your thing...here is the caveat to the whole thing...COCKROACHES!

I have been camping all my life and have been to just about every provincial park within 4 hours of Toronto (and more) and I have never run into this problem. I just spent two nights at the Pinary and low and behold there they were. We had to go over everything with a fine toothed comb before packing it away, and even then, I managed to find 2 in the bed of my pick up and one in a stroller when I got home! That being said, I will not be returning to the park.

6  Thank RichardV1967
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Pinery has the best beaches in Ontario. The water is shallow and safe for small kids. Beaches and dunes are beautiful. There's activities for kids, fishing, canoe and bike rental, hiking and biking trails, welcome center with displays, etc.. Most of the facilities were updated within 2-3 years within the campgrounds. Best of all, there's almost no bugs. Grand Bend, which is the closest town, has variety of food and entertainment choices for all. The sunset is also beautiful and can be enjoyed within the park or at the Grand Bend beach. I would recommend this place to anyone with small kids. If you want peace and quiet this might not be a place for you.

P.S. The home made Ice Cream at Best's are the best ever.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank rafcio53
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in the Riverside campground and the noise at night on both Friday and Saturday was unbelievable! There were partiers making noise late into the night (2-3 am) and park rangers were no where to be found. Very upsetting to a family of 6 trying to enjoy a pleasant weekend of campfires and sleeping in the tent. One man actually got angry enough on Saturday night that he shouted at the top of his lungs for everyone to "Be quiet! BE QUIET!" at around midnight. Thank you shouting man! I was able to fall asleep after that.

The beach was amazing and saved the visit at least a little bit.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank AnneRintala
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Campground was very clean, (def want to wear flip flops in the shower though) staff was great, river and beaches were beautiful! Was very confusing navigating around the park, spent a lot of time getting lost and just trying to figure out how to get to places. So much to do in the park! We stayed in riverside def less crowed then the other areas which was nice! A raccoon ruined one of our nights by not leaving us alone so be prepared for that, but raccoons are part of camping. Overall we had lots of fun and will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank hillthepill
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went here a year ago with 5 friends. Had a good time.

We liked the beach, it was nice. Nothing like Grand Bend obviously, but it is nice to see a natural beach. I liked our site, if I were you though, I would book a site on the outside of the circles. The sites are sometimes around a circular road of sorts, the ones inside the circle seem to have less privacy than the ones on the other side of the road.

*Be careful*
The rent-a-cop camp security seem to always have a hand on their fine books, so look out for them. I walked acrossed the street to a buddies campsite with an open beer, and they came running from a mile away ha. An even better store, my co-workers 80 year old parents nearly got a ticket for having a glass of wine during dinner over the long weekend, I found that funny.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
#7 of 8 in Grand Bend
Bee 'n Bee Bed 'n Breakfast
Bee 'n Bee Bed 'n Breakfast
#2 of 11 in Grand Bend

Been to Pinery Provincial Park? Share your experiences!