I stayed at this cottage for three days with my husband, father in law and mother in law. When we arrived on the first day, we were met there by the owner and his neighbour Tom, whom we were told to contact if we had any issues. We complained that we could smell propane from the propane stove, but were told that it was normal and that we could smell it because we were from the “city”. A few of us had headaches that night and were forced to keep all the windows open despite the cold temperature and rain that day and night. The stove was fixed the following day and we were told by Tom that they had in fact tried to fix that stove on 3 occasions prior to that, but had downplayed the issue the day before.
The next day, Tom came to the cottage and took apart the barbecue which he said he needed to fix. He did not have the parts for the bbq, so said he would get a spare bbq from his friend Darren. At this same time, the water pump broke, leaving no water to the cottage. Tom and Darren came back to deliver the bbq and spent another three hours there fixing the water pump. Another friend of Tom’s was also there. During this time, Darren appeared to be intoxicated, was rude, and sat down with us, making the situation extremely uncomfortable. At one point, my father in law was de-boning steaks for our dinner and Darren asked to take the scraps home for his cat. This cottage was advertised to be secluded and private, but we had several people there each day, making the situation very uncomfortable.
On our third day there, the water pump broke again and the toilet would not flush as water was not being pumped to the cottage. The water heater seemed to be flooding, but Tom told us this was “normal”. We made it a point to leave the cottage for several hours to allow the water pump to be fixed again. Needless to say, there was poor water pressure and only cold water for the whole time we were there. We were also given inconsistent information from Tom in regards to the water pump. He told us that the back-up generator had to be running in order for there to be enough pressure for the water to be heated. Tom also mentioned that he had been meaning to fix the water pump for some time.
On our last day at the cottage, we were awoken by loud alarm very early in the morning. The alarm was loud and was coming from the water heater room. We packed up and left as soon as possible that day.
For the three days that we stayed there, one thing went wrong after another (the propane stove, the water pump, the water heater). The worst experience was feeling uncomfortable with strangers (one of whom was intoxicated) hanging around the cottage for several hours at a time. After our trip, I contacted the owner to express my concerns and ask for a partial refund, but he refused, stating that we had the opportunity to complain at the time and did not. We came from approximately 5 hours away, so had we lived any closer we would have left. Furthermore, the cottage was messy and filthy and we left it in a cleaner state than when we arrived. Garbage was left in the cottage and all around the fire pit. In the coat room with the bunk beds, there were mouse droppings.
The cottage is off the grid and is advertised as running off solar panels and propane. There was only one small solar panel that was enough to recharge cell phones. There were limited appliances and we had to request a microwave be brought in. In order to run the microwave, we had to turn on the “back up” generator.
I would NOT recommend staying at this cottage.