“We got engaged here - very romantic!”
Review of Oceanstone Resort

Oceanstone Resort
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We wanted to go away for a romantic weekend as we were living apart at the time due to work. Imagine my surprise when I was proposed to at sunrise!! It was amazing and wonderful and a very lovely spot for it to happen. The 'cabins' are really lovely and the staff were amazing. Being so close to the beach and having such privacy and peace was greatly appreciated.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
lizzie m, Owner at Oceanstone Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Congratulations ! We are so happy to hear that you had such a great visit and a wonderful surprise of the engagement ! We hope to see you back sometime to celebrate.

Thanks again for the wonderful note and Congrats !

There are newer reviews for Oceanstone Resort

Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I just spent the weekend at Oceanstone in the Grey owl cottage. We wanted a relaxing,romantic weekend and we got much more.
The cottage is warm and inviting with personal touches throughout. Whimsical little nautical touches everywhere. It contains everything you need:dishes,cutlery,pots and pans,coffee maker,coffee,creamers,iron,ironing board,fan,wood for the woodstove,matches,etc. It has electric heat,but we made fires for the ambiance.
The bed is the most comfortable I have slept in, in a long time. The shower is strong and has lots of hot water.
The view is beyond amazing! The ocean is right out your back door,steps from the deck,with lots of beautiful sand. We spent most of our time walking the beach and watching the fishermen pull in and set their lobster traps. You can lie in bed and just soak up the amazing views. The sunset was to die for! There are outdoor fire pits and chairs for the summer.
The entire propery is magical with lights and sparkling lights in the trees.
We had a plate of chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us-what a nice touch! Perfect spot to unwind and have a woderful weekend! We will be back!

Room Tip: Grey owl is the cottage usually chosen for honeymoons or in our case...a romantic weekend.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I enjoyed Oceanstone for the fresh air and surf sounds that aid one to sleep, the greenery and cute paths. The unit was old fashioned with wide plank floors ( seemed to be laminate that looked very antique and very suitable), white painted walls and bedframe, quite Country, homey. The curtains do not fill out enough, so I felt the sides of the curtains exposed one putting on pajamas to anyone unlucky enough to pass by the deck. Particularly true of the window in the door!

I enjoyed the deck each unit gets, with some Adirondack chairs and a table, climbing raspberries and little plants. Some gorgeous mornings there. A deep bubbling tub was luscious before bed.

The unit had a kitchen that was extremely well appointed with expensive!! pots and utensils. And coffee and sugar and strainers etc etc. very handy. Loved the wooden fish on the wall. silly fish. A Nova Scotia folk art that fit there perfectly.

The food was expensive but fairly interesting. There were few choices, which is hard when you have food sensitivities. The cutlery was weird and very unbalanced and would hardly stay in my hand, too avante garde to be enjoyable or practical. The napkins are scented strongly with dryer sheet chemical, which is not appetizing and quite unnecessary. The view from the restaurant is gorgeous.

The staff at the front are all sweet and provided me with extra help on quite a few things. The restaurant staff needs work, ignoring me when there were all of four other customers there, giving me mistaken information about the tip being included (it was not, so I stiffed the subsequent servers accidentally), not checking on my needs.

I was quite content there but it is not five stars. A pretty cute four stars. The price was high for that, even so. The lawn and beach are tiny and I could get a bit stir-crazy if it were a longer trip. No fitness centre, bikes to rent, no pool. Four days was just right, for reading, listening to surf, hitting Peggys Cove, toodling up and down the coastline, which has a LOT going for it!. The location is close to town, very convenient.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Heather M
lizzie m, General Manager at Oceanstone Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Hi there
I am so glad that you enjoyed the Hollyhock suite and were able to listen to the surf !

We are actually looking into changing the cutlery at the restaurant. We have also introduced a new winter menu which is delicious - let me know if you are in the area again i'd love for you to try the chili or the dragon breath french onion soup.

Hope to see you out again soon - we do have lots of great ideas for Phase two of our renovations, and the pool, spa/ fitness centre are for sure on the plan at some point soon.

Thanks again for visiting and your comments - hope to see you soon

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our wedding at Oceanstone at the end of August and we could not be happier about the facility and the service. Everything was perfect right down to the minor details. We had multiple guests come up to us and thank us for choosing this resort for our wedding!

The wedding coordinator Lizzie is so wonderful and was there to help with anything we asked. She even helped us put out our center pieces and set up the reception area the day before the wedding. The day of the wedding she kept popping in to visit us girls while we were getting ready and offering to help. During the wedding one of our guests had a small child with him and Lizzie noticed that he had to leave during the meal to put her to sleep. Lizzie had his meal sent to his room for him and saved his dessert for when he came back to the dinner. That is just one example of the care and attention that the staff put towards the guests.

The resort is beautiful and very well maintained. They have just done an upgrade and the main lodge (where our reception was) is so beautiful and elegant that we hardly had to put any decorations out. The cottages that we stayed in are so wonderful and I've never slept in a more comfortable bed. I wanted to take the comforter home with me!
There are fire pits outside the cottages and the resort supplies the firewood. We were lucky enough that a large portion of our guests were able to stay at the resort with us for a few nights and we were able to have bonfires on the beach with them. The staff also let us use the common area outside to have a lobster boil the day after the wedding. It was so nice to be able to have everyone together like that and not crammed in our cottage.

I am so thankful that we found this resort for our wedding and we can't wait to go back for our first anniversary!

Room Tip: The cottages are worth the money! Steps from the ocean and so beautiful
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank chelletravels
lizzie m, Owner at Oceanstone Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Hi there

Thanks so much for the amazing comments and story ! It was so wonderful to get to know the two of you and meet your family and friends. I just loved it .... looking forward to keeping in touch

Chat soon and thank you again

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were fortunate enough to stay at the Oceanstone for a friends wedding the last week of August 2012. Having never been to the east coast of Canada before we could not have asked for a better destination or stay. We flew into Halifax from Toronto and rented a car to travel to the resort. We found the Halifax airport easy to negotiate and luggage retrieval quick and easy to get on the way. The drive to the resort from the airport was about 45 minutes in length and a scenic drive at that. Directions were easy to follow and the resort easy to find.

CHECK IN: We arrived several hours early of the 3:00pm check-in and decided to roll the dice on an early check-in. At the office we were greeted by a friendly young lady who welcomed us and checked to see if our room was ready. It was a welcomed surprise after an early morning flight when we were told it was and that we could check in right away.

ROOM: We had a suite (#2) atop the Rhubarb restaurant located at the front of the property that affords a beautiful view from your deck of the grounds and water. These rooms are new and very well appointed with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The room and bathroom were very clean but smaller than some other comparable rooms/suites we have stayed in. There is no phone or air conditioning however it was quite comfortable at night with the windows open. There is a common area outside your room with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker should you require it.

PROPERTY/GROUNDS: The grounds are well kept and easy to navigate to get to the different cottages and rooms on the property. The wedding was held on the grounds and the wedding service completed with a spectacular backdrop view of the water and cove area. After the ceremony guests were moved to the the main building for the dinner and dance. The meal was fantastic and the staff did an excellent job in putting it all together. It was a great day for all!!

FOOD: As previously mentioned the food served at the wedding was excellent and have no complainants about it nor did we hear any the entire time we were there from the 60 or so people in attendance for the wedding. We did eat breakfast at the Rhubarb restaurant and also chose to drive around the area and sample some of the local restaurants as well. We found the portions, price and quality all comparable. A must is to travel a short distance down the road to "Ryer's" a local favorite for fresh lobster and have them boil it for you in sea water prior to taking it back to Oceanstone to eat. It was by far the best lobster we have ever had.

STAFF: I would be remiss if I did not mention the staff at the resort who are friendly, approachable and willing to provide direction and advice on places to visit and eat. At the wedding we attended one of the guests seated with us had to return to their cottage for child care and was going to miss the dinner service. Without hesitation the staff had the meal delivered to the room for them. Impressive service to say the least!!

Overall a great property and a great stay and we would not hesitate to recommend this resort to family and friends. As we were not in Nova Scotia nearly as long as we wanted too we are already making plans for a return trip which will definitely include the Oceanstone Seaside Resort.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We came to this quaint, charming little inn to attend my husband's cousin's wedding. What a wonderful venue for a wedding. We stayed in one of the standard rooms and while it was a bit small, it was well appointed and clean. The cottages are really where you want to stay as they have the wonderful views, kitchens, and are larger overall. The venue is just beautiful. The wedding was great and the food from the Rhubarb restaurant was fabulous. The appetizers were delicious. We had a great time. The only downside we had the entire weekend was dinner up at the Rhubarb restaurant the last night there. We have no complaints about the food, it was great but the waiter and his service left everything to be desired. One of the worst waiters I've ever seen.

Room Tip: Cottages have great views. Basically, any room on the property is wonderful.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I, along with my in-laws, spent a fabulous night at Oceanstone earlier this summer. We had the Captain's House cottage, situated on the water with its own private beach access and fire pit.

The cottage was quaint, beautifully appointed and spotless. Maybe the best sleep I've had outside of my own home! We ate dinner ate the property's restaurant "Rhubarb" and were thoroughly pleased. Certain to impress your pickiest "foodie" friends.

I would highly recommend this location for a couple's weekend getaway just as easily as a Family's summer cottage rental. Literally minutes from Peggy's Cove and an easy drive to Halifax for entertainment during the day.

Room Tip: Ask for oceanfront! Worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Clifty Cove Motel
#1 of 1 in Indian Harbour
Big Lake Lodge
#1 of 1 in Big Lake

Been to Oceanstone Resort? Share your experiences!