“Best Lobster”
Review of Ryer Lobsters

Ryer Lobsters
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Ryer's Retail store is situated on the shore of St. Margaret's Bay. Offering fresh Live only Nova Scotia Lobsters, mussels and oysters.We are open daily from 10:00am until 5:00pm Closed on Wednesday's
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We ate at Ryer's on a drippy, foggy day. The lobster brightened the day considerably. We were 3 people, each getting a small one, and we agreed this was one of the best meals. Initially we had hoped to get lobster rolls and when we asked if they were served there were given directions to a restaurant down the way. So we headed off but then decided that a whole lobster would be better and were sooo glad that we came back. We paid by weight plus $1 each for cooking, cracking, butter and utinsils. So tasty and fun. I noticed that some reviews mentioned poor customer service but we found, on the contrary, very friendly people at work. Later in our trip I mentioned the price to some folks and they said that it was very reasonable. And we knew the lobsters were good and fresh, as the UPS man came to pick up many boxes to be delivered elsewhere, maybe for other restaurants.

Ryer R, Manager at Ryer Lobsters, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Thank you for writing this review, also for turning around and joining us at Ryer's for a fresh cooked Nova Scotia Lobster. You really can't go wrong when you have the benefit of fresh seafood at your door step We always love sharing this experience with our customers. And yes I usually have some Lobster to eat during the day never get tired of it.
We ship to individual customers homes using UPS or FedEx. Many of these orders are to customers that were on vacation in Nova Scotia, found us and now want lobsters shipped home.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed at Ocean stone Resort and Ryer Lobsters is next door. The food is good and the service is very friendly. Overall - good value !

1  Thank Vassil D

Thank you for writing this review. We have always tried to provide fresh caught, fresh cooked Nova Scotia lobster at a reasonable price. We really appreciate all of our customers and enjoy having them leave feeling that they got good value for their money

Thanks

Reviewed July 24, 2014

If you want fresh lobster with no fuss or pomp about it, you should try Ryer's. Great pricing for lobster, and if you eat there they give you all you need--melted butter, plates, a large bin for the lobster and shells, lobster utensils, and a bib (but really why bother?). The lobster is also properly cut to make shelling a breeze. This little detail is not to be overlooked. There's even a hand washing station with soap for after you're done! Never seen this at a lobster pound before.

All in all, Ryer's is minimalist, and it's great. Just about eating lobster.

Definitely a better bet than the Sou-Wester, trust me. Sou-Wester is a tourist trap at it's worst!

A few gripes, and the reasons it's not a 5 star review, are as follows:
-The staff can be rather terse. Not un-polite, just blunt. This didn't bother me but I can see it getting to more sensitive types.
-They won't cook up a new lobster for you after 4:10-ish, so if you arrive late you have to eat what's already cooked. And what's already cooked has been sitting around in residual heat and can be overcooked. And overcooked seafood is bad seafood. This has happened to me and I was not able to enjoy my meal.

Thank you for taking the time and writing your review of Ryer's Lobster Pound. I appreciate the points that you have pointed out in your review. It is great that you enjoyed your fresh cooked Nova Scotia Lobster, sorry I am not sure if we provided you with a good experience or that you received an over cooked lobster. As we are a lobster pound and hours of operation are from
10:00am to 5:00pm we put the last cooking on at 4:15pm so the lobsters are out and picked up by 5:00
Thanks Again and hope you will drop by Ryer's again if ever back to Nova Scotia.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

The owner is very rude! My daughterwas in the car crying with an older brother. Me & hubby just trying to finish our food to get going. Owner was not happy because my daughter is loud and bothering some of his customer. He even told me that in NS a child is not suppose to be left unattended in the car. We have the same rule in Ontario. We are a tourist in your province and also a paying customer. You try to ask us to leave because of a crying child. You give us a very bad impression of people of Nova Scotia!!!

6  Thank Despit23
Ryer R, Manager at Ryer Lobsters, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

I am very sorry that you felt the need to write this very negative review on trip adviser. Yesterday afternoon your daughter who appeared to be around 3 years old was in the back seat of your SUV crying for approx. 10 minutes before one of our other guests approached me an asked if I could do something about the child in distress crying in the SUV. I took my time and finally walked out to your table and asked if this child was yours and you told me she was. I ask that you try and stop her from crying as she was upsetting other guests. At this time you yelled that she was being taught a lesson, I again ask you to try and have her stop, I returned to the building.
You then approached me and started yelling at me about asking you to have your daughter stop crying. You accused me of being very rude and that I asked you and your husband to leave. This is totally wrong at no time did I ask you to leave. I was so upset with the attitude you displayed in front of my other guests that I was totally in shocked. When you finally returned to you SUV several customers came forward and thanked me for speaking to you.

Yes in deed you were a paying customer as all the other customers that where here when this incident happened. To them I apologize that they had to be part of this very negative experience

Reviewed July 17, 2014

To be honest, it can be admitted that this is a great authentic experience one must visit before leaving Nova Scotia. The seafood, whether it be lobster mussels or oysters, is fresh and pure. Situated right on the water perched over the rocky shore, in proximity to Peggys Cove, give yourselves 2 thumbs up for that. However thats all that got you a 2/5 rating.
Customer service wise, Ryers Lobster is horrid. First visit in 2013 was okay. Second visit a year later, we ordered a lobster per person and oysters. With the oysters, we were asked if we wanted any condiments, of which we requested for tabasco and lemon. We were given a good chunk of the lemon, and a tiny almost empty tabasco bottle... no issue yet. The issue is that the lady (possibly Dave's wife) began to question how much tabasco we had consumed midway through our meal. We had already eaten our oysters, and we were now beginning on the lobsters. The lady became visibly irritated that we were using tabasco on the lobsters as well as the oysters. She made a rather big deal out of how the tabasco was only to be paired with oysters. When we asked how this was such a big issue to her, she snatched away the tiny tabasco bottle from our table, rudely. Finally, on our third visit (be grateful we came again. It was for your great seafood and definitely not for your overreactions) we had another ordeal, this time with plates. We ordered mussels, however we did not order a lobster for each person in our party since we'd all be sharing anyways. Since there were 4 lobsters, we were given 4 normal plates. The 5th person was given but a miniscule dessert plate that would barely fit a lobster tail. We asked the same tabasco-concerned lady for an additional plate, and this question immediately took us to her defensive side. She was rather annoyed at the question and told us we had to make do with the plates we were given. When we asked her politely a second time, she became even more annoyed. We thought, maybe they ran out of the large plates, but we couldnt come to any conclusions because the lady was simply refusing without any reasoning. Later on, we noticed a pile of large plates on the counter, that seemed open for anyone to take. So I took one, thinking it was no big deal. Near the end of our meal, we went back into the shack to get some more mussels when the lady noticed all of us and began snapping about us stealing from her. She yelled at me to get out of her sight and stop bothering her. Apparently, my taking of one extra plate was a major concern and based on what the lady told us, appqrently this was a major loss of her profits. Apparently, satisfying her customers demands is also a major loss of her time, and something she doesnt enjoy doing. Ill appologize if I offended her in any way, but I still cannot justify how unprofessional and rude her reaction was to merely a plate. Ive never seen an eating establishment make such a huge fuss about a plate. Most restaurants and food courts are glad to offer an extra plate or spoon or etc, but not here. Here, one is yelled at for asking. And here, if one dares to take a plate without permission, they will be accused of theft and robbery, as I was. One last comment, is a light french accent really that troubling to understand, or is that just you judging your customers and selectively listening to only those who do not bother you about plates and tabasco. A suggestion for you: your prices are really good, so if you could provide plates and tabasco without such a fuss then raise your rates $0.50 per pound to compensate for the loss of profits with the plates, we really would not mind. At least with that $0.50 increase, we'd be treated a slight bit kinder.

6  Thank R_26C

I am truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to Ryer's Pound. As this is not your first visit you may have noticed a few changes. We have always tried to provide our customers with an enjoyable eating experience at a very reasonable price. We operate on a very small budget at one point we even provided free coffee but going through 4 pots a day plus milk, cream, cups, sugar and some people taking 3-4 cups we could not afford doing this any longer. We also provided free saltwater toffee put again because people abused this some taking whole hands full we have stopped. We tried providing customers have free lemons when requested with their lobster to only have the lemon come back and have to be thrown out. We trust our customers for paying their bills but have had 8 customers leave without paying. We have had 4 expensive oyster knives taken as well as 3 expensive oyster gloves. Each lobster is served on a platter if additional persons are eating we provide an 8 3/4" additional plate at no charge, The tabasco is for the oysters. It may seem to some people that we have a problem serving our customers and that we have an issue providing additional platters and tabasco in actual fact we are trying very hard to hold our prices at a reasonable affordable level even with all these additional costs. I do appreciate your concerns and look forward to serving you in the future when you are visiting Nova Scotia