“South Vancouver Island Lodge for Special Occasions & Gatherings”

Honeymoon Bay Lodge & Retreat
Vancouver Island, Canada
“South Vancouver Island Lodge for Special Occasions & Gatherings”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

If you are looking for a peaceful and romantic get-away for renewal of spirit and vitality, Honeymoon Bay Lodge and Retreat is the place to go. It is less than an hour's drive from Duncan and en route you might even see Roosevelt elk. The staff are very accommodating and their friendly and helpful manner along with delicious meals add to the pleasure of one's stay. Having the tax and gratuities included in the packet price is a bonus. A variety of spa treatments are to be enjoyed along with the salt water hot tub, infra-red sauna, and attractive grounds. From the moment we arrived a feeling of tranquility and peace prevailed and we are determined to return in the near future.

Room Tip: If mobility is a problem, you might want to be closer to the entrance, the dining room, and the beau...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Val D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Honeymoon Bay Lodge and Retreat Centre is a gem of a place to stay for many good reasons. Having spent many weekends there on retreats, my fiancée and I decided to use the resort for our June 2012 wedding. Right from the beginning stages of planning the food, the reception and the ceremony itself, Honeymoon Bay staff were helpful, flexible, and consistently cheerful about everything. The resort also orchestrated up to a three day stay for many of our out of town guests. I’m delighted to say: the food for both the rehearsal dinner and the reception the following day was spectacular(thanks to chef Kevin and staff!), the logistics of the ceremony, refreshments to follow and of course, the dinner and dancing afterwards, all worked smoothly. Kudos to all the staff at Honeymoon Bay Lodge and Retreat!
Somae Claire O, Duncan, BC.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Victoria, BC
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I attended a retreat weekend here, and I have already booked for next year! I can't wait to come back and be pampered in such a beautiful place. I felt completely catered to by the small staff, whom I got to know by name during my stay. The relaxed, holistic atmosphere inspired my creative juices, which was the purpose of my retreat. The space was intimate and very adequate, both the event room and the accommodations. My room included a microwave, fridge and sink. The bathtub was deep and roomy. The view from my room was a grassy field on the edge of a forest with misty clouds above the treetops, mostly obscuring the hills surrounding the valley in which we were nestled. The hills must obscure cell signals, as I had sporadic ability to send and receive calls or texts. (Not a bad feature for a retreat, however.) I was never able to get an Internet connection on my mobile phone or laptop, though I had been provided access to the free Wi-fi. Again, this wasn't essential for me this time and likely would have distracted me from my purpose for being there.

Amidst the natural beauty of the lodge's setting, there is a gift shop with a variety of offerings and price ranges, many by local artisans. The hallways are lined with local framed artwork and photography suited to many tastes and all available for sale. Like a gallery, the collections include the artists' bios, adding to the intimacy the resort invites. I resisted buying anything, but I plan to return with my husband for a weekend getaway in the near future and plan to choose a few pieces together to enjoy in our home and to remind us of this uplifting little piece of paradise.

It appears that the lodge is designed mostly for group events and is not available without prior booking. Solos and couples could attend only when another group is already booked. Otherwise, the place is not operating. While I was there, we shared the place with one other small group, and we rarely interacted. The grounds are extensive, including a charming labyrinth for a personal spiritual walk, though signs indoors warn of wildlife in the area, so I didn't stroll too far.

Esthetic and bodywork services were available, and I enjoyed a 30-minute massage during my weekend of renewal. Others I was with partook of manicures, pedicures, a hot stone massage and a lymphatic drainage massage. I wish I could have stayed longer and enjoyed a few other services on offer. I ended my days with a soak in the salt-water hot tub in a courtyard enclosure.

The bed was super comfortable, but I didn't sleep that well because of the fan. It appeared to have no lower setting other than "off" that would make the closed window drapes stop billowing over my bed next to it. Though the outdoor temperature was below freezing during my stay, I chose to leave the heater/cooler off through the night because of the annoying fan on its lowest setting. My room was, according to the thermometer on the controls, 52 degrees F in the morning! Thank goodness for a hot ceiling lamp in the bathroom and the plush robe provided with my room. The room warmed up quickly when I reset the heater with the fan on "high."

I haven't even mentioned the food, which was generous, inventive, delicious and 100 percent personalized! Kevin is a talented chef, and his meals were fabulous and filling. He was able to accommodate a good number of individual diets and food preferences to a "T" (all of which were provided to him in advance with our booking) without compromising the presentation or the dining experience.

I had a bit of trouble finding Honeymoon Bay Lodge and Retreat, even in daylight and with more than one sign. It is very secluded, though not far from civilization, in the form of the quaint communities of Honeymoon Bay and Lake Cowichan. Especially without connections to the outside world, it was the perfect location for a getaway and a change of pace. There are neither TVs nor phones in the rooms, inviting a short walk to the front desk for gracious, attentive service. The lodge is a two-hour drive from Victoria on Vancouver Island.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Heather W
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed at this lodge for 3 nights with a group for a business trip to Lake Cowichan and we pretty well had the place to ourselves. The staff were great, very accommodating and made us feel very welcome. This accommodation is approximately 10-15 minutes from Lake Cowichan on a narrow, winding road. The nearest restaurants, stores, etc. are in Lake Cowichan.

The rooms were clean and comfortable with a small fridge and coffee maker. However, since it is billed as a "retreat", there are no televisions or telephones in the rooms. I rated the sleep quality as poor because I couldn't get a decent night's sleep. The heaters in the rooms are those electric wall mounted combination A/C & heating units. They are all incredibly noisy and wake you up every time they come on, so you either turn it off and freeze (it was winter) or wake up every 30 minutes or so. My advice: bundle up and unplug the heater. Pretty well everyone in our group had a similar story.

There is a common kitchen with an oven/stove, toaster, etc.

There is a common lounge area with couches, a flat screen TV (somewhat limited channels), dvd player and stereo with ipod dock.

There is a reasonably well equipped gym. There is also a hot tub and IR sauna.

There is free wireless internet in the entire facility.

The facility arranged for a chef to come in one night to cook a meal for the group. The food was great.

The restless nights really contributed to the average rating here. Otherwise, it was a great experience. Also, this was a business trip, so my impression of the facility is coloured as such; we basically spent a few hours relaxing after work and slept at the facility (did not use all of the amenities).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SirCanuck
Victoria
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Well this is my first time having a Honeymoon Bay Retreat Experience and it sure won't be my last. The Retreat Center is a warm inviting place to come. The rooms are great, beds are to die for and just alright great room. The facilities altogether are just wonderful. I am here for a scrapbooking retreat and our crop room is comfortable and bright. The food service is really to die for, Kevin you are an awesome chef. We have had a great variety and justs really top quality food. I just had a massage experience and that was totally relaxing and Chris was just great. It is so nice to receive the kind of massage you want, he totally does have magic fingers. All around the staff have been great, totally friendly and helpful and always a smile on their faces. Overall the weekend has been great and I would highly recommend it to everyone. I will be back for sure.

Room Tip: I think any room would be a great room. Very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I have been here before for an Easter getaway and was very impressed with the massage from Chris, the food and service efficient yet calm...I jumped at the chance of doing retreat here and am currently enjoying the privilege of being here again.Amazingly calming and centering for me...retreating in style! thank you...will be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I recently had the opportunity to take a group of colleges for a weekend getaway. We stayed at the Honeymoon Bay Lodge & Retreat center because of the excellent rates and beautiful location and setting.

We were terribly impressed with the quality of service, food, facilities and general atmosphere. The staff worked above their call of duty to provide the finest care and comfort for our group. The facilities resemble a 4 star hotel set next to a forest and lake.

I have no reservations recommended this facility for any leisure and business getaways!

Thanks Honeymoon Bay staff!

Brian Wismath & Vox Humana

Crown House Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 5 in Lake Cowichan
Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay
Beaver Lake Resort and Campground
Beaver Lake Resort and Campgroun...
#11 of 12 in Lake Cowichan
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Honeymoon Bay Lodge & Retreat? Share your experiences!