“Truly lovely!”
Review of Fearnoch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torrin
Fearnoch
Ranked #2 of 2 Torrin B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Having stayed at Fearnoch in the past, I can only say that our experiances of our stay were wonderful and our hosts Rosa and Alan were attentive, friendly and very accommodating. Upon visiting in August as friends, our family were treated to a lovely dinner, warmth and fine whisky that even the Mother in law broke an improving smile, which is no mean feat. Now to our goodbye breakfast that Rosa so kindly prepared for our journey home to Wales. It was as usual, INCREDIBLE!!! I would go as far to comment that this is probably the best breakfast I have ever had the pleasure to have and it was and always has been beautifully prepared by Rosa and to which is the same breakfast that all guests can look forward to. Torrin is such a beautiful place on the Isle and this B&B is at the very best of anyone's visit.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank otisthedog75

Reviewed August 24, 2010

We arrived at 21.45pm giving a warm hello but the reply was 'shhhh, I've got other guests here'. This was then followed by criticism over the place I had parked the car whilst I tried to ensure that if other guests were to arrive they could fit their car in.
4 sheets of A4 then followed. One each for registration and one each for breakfast. The paperwork when I went overland from China to Vietnam was less intrusive and friendlier.
The room was £70, had paper thin walls but had no en suite, no TV and no kettle facilities, although all were available elsewhere.
I wandered into the kitchen in the morning to get a mug of water and was loudly scolded; 'Get out of here, no one ever comes into my kitchen.' I apologised and was told I was a health hazard. I didn't have any shoes on as these had been commanded off by the notice by the front door and glare of the owner.
The midges were very bad and the garden had a large gas midge-collector in the garden which was not turned on.
The guest house is 25 minutes (owners info) from an evening place to eat so it is not possible to have a drink with dinner.
This is in a nice setting, but so is all of Skye, but all the rules and the intimidating atmosphere in the place does not means a relaxing or pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
15  Thank thetravelleraaa
MaryRoseTorrin, Owner at Fearnoch, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2010

This review is this person's second attempt to launch an attack on us here at Fearnoch. The first review was removed because it contravened tripadvisor's own guidelines. It should never have been printed. This version is not any better.

To summarize this person's stay in our home, it was a late booking made by telephone. The only room available was the twin room with private bathroom, which is immediately opposite the bedroom. This was explained to him and he agreed that it would meet his requirements. He never asked about televisions in the rooms at the time of booking. We do not know of any B&B in th locality which has TV sets in the bedrooms.

They arrived late, well outside our normal check in time. We do try to accommodate late arrivals but we also do expect them to consider the comfort of other guests, several of whom had on that evening already retired to bed. I felt obliged to mention this fact as it would have been unfair on the sleeping guests to have them disturbed.

The review writer was accompanied by a female companion, who was never introduced to me properly except by name. I still do not know whether she was wife, partner, daughter or niece.

Our guest lounge has a large (42") new plasma screen TV, which most guests find adequate if they feel like viewing. People who come to Skye enjoy mainly outdoor pursuits such as walking and enjoying the magnificent scenery. If their main wish is to watch TV, they would be better off in their own homes. Additionally, everyone is aware that the pesky midge is a problem in Western Scotland particularly during the summer months. If they present too great a problem to an individual, they should have avoided the West of Scotland. Whilst at Fearnoch, they never asked for any advice re the midges or indeed commented on the little blighters. They have never been a problem indoors and, in fact this year, have been less troublesome generally for much of the summer. The recent severe winter may have caused some reduction in their numbers!

The comments abot paperwork are outrageous as we have one very short form for registration. This is normal practice in every establishment throughout the world, and is required in our country.

The individual breakfast menus allow guests to make choices from an comprehensive list of dishes available for breakfast, and ensures that guests actually get what they wish. Most guests like the choice it gives them. The system is universally used by most good service providers.

My reaction to this guests's appearance inside the kitchen itself , not at the door, was based on several facts, firstly common decency. He was partially clad in basically a towel and this offended my sensibilities. It was not a pretty sight! Secondly, I am obliged, as a food provider to maintain certain standards in the food preparation area. Therefore persons not actively involved in this occupation must be excluded. I requested that he leave the kitchen - that is all. I most certainly did not speak to him in the manner he has described in the review.

It is unfortunate that yet again we find ourselves accepting people who do not appear to have any concept of the nature of B&B. They pay what is essentially a small amount of money - (incidentally the price he stated included a very varied and substantial breakfast as well as the use of a guest lounge). Most B&B do not have this facility. Maybe he should only stay in hotels in the future. Their impersonal nature would probably suit him better and he could watch TV all night.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Spent three days @ Fearnoch this July and enjoyed ourselves. Breakfast with fresh fruit, great coffee, homemade bread ...you can't beat it. At first, I was a little concerned about location but after driving the road a few times, it's not a problem. You zip in to Broadford within 10 minutes or less if you drive like a local. We were able to tour the island with no problem from this central location. When we left, it was only a 20 minute drive to Armadale to connect to the Mallaig ferry. Location also gives you access to Egol if you want to hike or try one of the cruise trips. (15 minute drive) Hiking galore right from the door and also @ Egol. We did a 1/2 day hike south along the coast from Egol. The views up the sound were stunning. What I won't forget about our stay was Rosa's hospitality and warm stories which I found fascinating. Great spot and wonderful island,

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MMacDad
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Last month I decided to pay a return visit to the Isle of Skye and without hesitation stayed once again with Rosa & ALan at the Fearnoch B&B where I had previously visited as a solo traveller.some years back. This time my two older teenage children came with me and we were welcomed with open arms. We planned to spend the few days there walking and Alan gave us lots of tips and Rosa sent us off each day with a packed lunch, what more could you ask for !!

My son has some special dietery requirements which we pointed out to Rosa ahead of time and this special request was handled beautifully and at no point did he lose out as Rosa accommodated his individual menu and he didn't miss out on the wonderful breakfasts etc

Like the last time the rooms were spotless and most comfortable.

Fearnoch is set in a beautiful location and it is extremely peaceful. If you want to get away from it all this is the place to stay.

Rosa and Alan we will be back !! Thank you once again for making our recent trip so memorable and we look forward very much to our next one, this time we won't leave it as long.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank LovesTennis
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We have stayed at Fearnoch in Torrin on several occasions over the past years. The fact that we are frequent visitors says it all. One could not find a more welcoming and enjoyable B & B. Rosa and Alan are great hosts and always take an active interest in the plans of all guests, ensuring that they get top-notch advice on places to visit, the best eating establishments etc. In effect they do their utmost to ensure that staying there is a very enjoyable experiance, a joy to return to at the end of a day's walking, sight-seeing.
We are forced to wander what an earth the two most recent reviews are all about. They cannot have stayed at Fearnoch because their comments bear no resemblance to the Fearnoch we know. May be they do not understand the concept of B & B. A little care and consideration is always appreciated and in our experiance, owners respond to this.
The breakfasts at Fearnoch are to die for with a large choice including fresh fruit yoghurts and a wonderful porridge. We cannot wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank davegrumps
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I would not recommend this place to anyone. We did not feel welcomed into this B&B. We were greeted by the owner who asked us to remove our shoes outside the house and to be careful of not scratching the walls. She also scolded my brother so many times- no talking after 10, not to look into the mirror too close, not to touch her walls and so on. We were in constant fear of scratching the walls and of talking too loudly. I enjoyed visiting Skye but not staying in this B&B.

• Stayed: June 2010
8  Thank NurEdinburgh
MaryRoseTorrin, Owner at Fearnoch, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

I will try and address the points raised in the order thay have been raised. This was a family from Malaysia, parents, grown up daughter just qualified from university in Edinburgh and a 9 year old brother. The parents were utterly charming. Their only fault was that the young boy was never corrected or chastized. In my opinion, the boy was allowed to do as he pleased with no attempt by either the parents or sister to modify his behaviour at any time.

I most certainly did not request that they remove their outdoor shoes outside the house. I invited them in and requested that they do this when they were in the entrance hallway. I request this of all guests. Our own family members always remove outdoor shoes as soon as we enter the house. The guests had just been walking on the adjacent hillside which is always wet and muddy so it was also an attempt to keep our recently refurbished house in good order for all guests.

As regards the incident in the dining room. I observed the boy to get up from the dining table during breakfast and run his tongue up and down the surface of a large ornamental mirror which hangs on the dining room wall. In my opinion, this was somewhat bizarre behaviour. The parents and sister said nothing, so it was left to me to point out that this behaviour was inappropriate, particularly as other guests were present.

I did on a single occasion at the beginning of the visit point out that dragging a bag along the wall surface wasn't acceptable. I observed this happening. Also on a single occasion after 11pm at night. I knocked on the bedroom door and asked that the talking which could be heard clearly by everyone in the house should cease to allow others to get some sleep. This is requested in any establishment that I have ever stayed in. Noise after 11pm at night is not tolerated. Most people appreciate the peace and quiet that we offer and are more than willing to accommodate the wishes of other guests.

The son of the family never stopped talking from the moment that he woke in the morning until he went to sleep at night. His voice was to be heard at all times whenever he was in the house. It is a great shame that some control over his behaviour was not exerted by either his parents or his sister.

We are grateful that the many guests we have the pleasure to welcome to our home in Skye are very mindful and appreciative of the ambience that we try to create here at Fearnoch. Mostly our guests understand that it is our home and we delight in sharing it with them. Nur and her family made it a far from relaxing few days for us. We hope that others will continue to visit us here. Our many friends around the world will agree with us and hopefully come to visit again to share our little bit of Heaven.

Reviewed May 30, 2010

stunningly situated with montain views from every window of the guest lounge flooded with evening light with its wonderfully comfy sofas. . A delighfully warm welcome from Rosa and Alan, a superb evening meal of fresh local salmon followed by an evening watching the sun set.
Scrupulously clean- recently renovated and extremely comfortable. Kind hosts who helped us plan our next few days with some excellent travel and eating tips-
We loved Fearnoch

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank geraldineoLondon

Been to Fearnoch? Share your experiences!