“It's like Diner Dash the game in real life”
Review of Waterside cafe

Waterside cafe
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Lochcarron
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
UK
“It's like Diner Dash the game in real life”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We visited the Waterside Cafe one Sunday in July. It was the only cafe open but seemed well frequented so we went in. We had stopped there late last year for a coffee (we were the only people in) and found the waitress very friendly so thought nothing of stopping for a meal.

We arrived minutes before 2 other groups did. One sat outside and the other sat at a table inside as we did.

After 10 minutes we decided to leave as no-one had taken an order from us. But the chef / waitress appeared at our table so we thought we might as well order. We should have gone with our first instincts.

The way it seems to work in this cafe is like the game Diner Dash where you get more points for completing the same task several times before moving on to the next one. So the young waiter and waitress took to clearing tables, then serving food and then took the orders. We were last to have our order taken even though we were first to arrive. Our drinks arrive 5 minutes later. After a further 40 minute wait we were about to ask for a bill when the other tables were server their food. Our's then arrived.

My partner had asked for a venison burger. To speed up it's cooking they had split it in half, cooked it and placed it in the bun. he said the chips were delicious though.
I ordered a prawn baked potato. The prawns were lovely king prawns with just the right amount of sauce, however I don't know what kind of potato it was, but it wasn't designed for baking. It had the consistency of fluff and was very difficult to eat.
I refused to order another drink (even though we weren't asked if we wanted another one) as I had finished the first one 30 mins before the food arrived. This is a ruse to make you buy more drinks that a lot of places use and I usually ask for my drink to arrive at the same time as my food.

While we were eating one couple left without having the dessert that they had ordered because the waitress had forgotten about it and they didn't want to wait any longer.

To save time waiting for the bill to arrive I went up to the counter to pay. the bill appeared to be more than I had anticipated so I questioned it to be told that the burger didn't come with chips and since we had ordered them as 'burger and chips' we were charged for an extra portion of chips. Not very clear on the menu.

All in all a waste of an hour and a half. I know food has to be cooked fresh but the whole experience was frustrating.

• Visited July 2011