“Youth hostel in disguise..but wait the food isnt bad!”
Review of Lochcarron Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lochcarron
Lochcarron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lochcarron
Reviewed September 11, 2009

A beautiful area and location. Hotel needs a good clean carpets, windows etc filthy. Smells damp in the bedroom we had.

Family owned and little clue about the hotleier business. When checking out the receptionist had her head on the table asleep and her 'boyfriend' checked us out. It wasnt too early only 9am.

on a positive the waitress who alos worked behind the bar was friendly and welcoming. A local lass too. Nice to hear a Scottish accent in this beautiful part of the country. Authenticity resumed! The way of the world.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 26, 2009

Dated is a good description of this hotel and, as per the previous reviews, it doesn't smell too great (I suspect it's the owner's dog). We were lucky in that we had a room at the far end from the bar so it was fairly peaceful and comfortable, just all very tired looking. We were also told specifically where to sit (or else) by the breakfast waitress but she did at least have a Scottish accent! Sitting in the bar the night before was very pleasant and the smoked haddock omelette was delicious.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This hotel has lovely views of the loch, but is dated and dirty. My first impressions were that the carpets needed cleaning and that the hotel smelt peculiar. On being shown to my room, my concerns increased. The fixtures and furnishings were dated, the room was hot and the cleaning was not of the standard I would expect. The dining room has been tastefully refurbished, but my microwaved food arrived in 5 minutes and was not appetising. That night I had an appalling night's sleep. My room was directly over the bar and the noise continued until 1.30am. Coupled with an uncomfortable bed and a stuffy room, it was not conducive to sleep. The next day my room had a cursory service - the bed was made, but the sink wasn't cleaned and the toiletries which were insufficient on arrival had still not been replaced. Unable to face a second sleepless night, I checked out and moved elsewhere. This was the worst hotel I stayed in during the course of a 2 week stay in Scotland. Don't stay here unless you like late evenings in the bar and are not particular about cleanliness.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Just got back from a whistle stop tour of the highlands which included a 2 night stay in the Lochcarron Hotel, which was booked by my partner. On the long journey to Lochcarron we were delighted with the wonderful scenery, and beautiful houses and villages on the way. So on arrival at the hotel we were a little disappointed to find the hotel looked in need of renovation, and in the stairs and corridor upstairs the carpets and walls were filthy, and it stunk of rancid cooking oil. Decoration in the corridor includes the electrics on full view, along with a toilet with the door left wide open which looked like it had been plumbed with rejects from Steptoe’s yard. The bedroom itself wasn’t as dirty as the outside corridor but the windowsills hadn’t been cleaned and the ensuite bathroom was awful – an 80’s dark grey suite. The toilet seat had been replaced at some time as it was a different colour and didn’t fit properly. My partner advised me not to look under the taps on the sink as he knows I have an aversion to dirt! There were also some ‘hairs’ by the toilet which were there when we arrived – i.e. not ours! The shower head was also in need of a good clean.

The smells in the corridor varied during the day depending on what was being cooked in the kitchen but all were very strong and ranged from curry to fish and chips in addition to the ever present cooking oil smell.

The room was very, very hot and the bed had a 13 tog quilt on.

Judging by our experiences so far we decided not to eat in the hotel and we journeyed over the mountain to the excellent Applecross Inn instead. However, breakfast at the Lochcarron was nice enough, although it took a while for someone to come and take our order on the first day, and we weren’t allowed to sit by the window for whatever reason. A hoover was out in the dining room during breakfast on full view – I know its picky but its not very professional or aesthetically pleasing is it?

Overall we were disappointed, however, we thought, it was cheap and cheerful so we didn’t mind too much. When we came to pay the bill however, the price which my Partner thought was price per room per night turned out to be price per person per night. In other words, the bill was double what we were expecting – £80 per night for a substandard hotel. I was so shocked I didn’t say anything, and spent the rest of the day cross with myself for not complaining.

In short the Lochcarron Hotel is an excellent example of why to check Tripadvisor before you leave rather than after. There are other B&Bs in Lochcarron that look clean and well maintained – my advice is stop there instead, or make the trek to the Applecross Inn (if you can get a room there!)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Pluses
Comfortable Bed
Good Breakfast
Great view to front

Negatives
Aged, dirty bathroom
Room smelt of oil boiler below
Dirty armchair
Ugly view to rear

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank TediWarrior
Reviewed June 5, 2009

My wife and I arrived at Lochcarron Hotel last sunday evening around 7.00 pm very tired after long journey and booked B & B at a cost of £75.00 for overnight B & B. I accepted the rear view room as they said it was the only room available and we did not wish to travel any further to find other accomodation. We went straight down to Restaurant and had meal. Having had fabulous tasting haddock fish in the Orkney islands my wife ordered haddock which was half the size of what we were expecting and was tasteless. We reported to the waitress the fact that the bath in our room had not been cleaned (room 5) it had three different tide marks on the bath. Her response was i will send my mother up to clean it. on returning to our room after a walk this had been accomplished.
We then noticed that the ensuite door would not close there had been movement in the room and the door needed to be taken off and plained.
The toilet pedestal had not been seated properly and had a list to starboard and the toilet seat was free moving which made it impossible to sit-on without falling-off.
The room was extremely hot owing to the beautiful weather there were no net curtains on the windows which meant people walking on the footpath at the rear of the hotel were able to look into the room. i assume the bedroom is above the kitchen as the heat was unbearable and neither my wife and i were able to sleep properly.
The room was full of dust and dirt, and a trailing socket was being used which had not been safety tested. The room should have been taken out of service and not allowed to be used for guests accomodation.

At breakfast any guests who tried to sit at tables in the window area were severely repremanded by the waitress and directed to the dancefloor area of the room with a wooden floor, which was extemely noisy each time anyone moved to obtain cereals and preserves etc.

In conclusion i reported all my concerns to the waitress who was behind the Bar when i was paying the Bill and she showed no concern whatsoever to my complaints. We spent 12 days in Scotland and the Orkney islands and stayed at some superb accomodation. My bill was £112 for an overnight stay in Lochcarron, this is an idylic setting, and spoiled by this family run establishment.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2009

No real negatives for this hotel except that it was strange to be in a remote Highland village Hotel and barely a local accent to be heard! It appeared to be owned/run by an extended family who, I would guess, are relatively new to the hospitality industry. They were eager to please but the little 'professional' touches were missing. But the room was clean, if somewhat sparse and the food was good in quality and value. The location of the hotel is first class for those who want to explore the real North West Highlands of Scotland. I would recommend this hotel to a friend - but would also add that they should not expect too much!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochcarron
Kinlochewe Hotel
Hotel Eilean Iarmain
Kyle Hotel
Kyle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Kyle of Lochalsh

Been to Lochcarron Hotel? Share your experiences!