“Different, delicious, delightful, well worth a visit...or three”

Del Amitri Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Annan
Cuisines: Scottish, Contemporary, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our son-in-law trained under chef Martin Avey years back and had nothing but compliments for him, so we had been meaning to visit his Del Amitri restaurant in Annan for a while now. We can highly recommend it as the food was very different to what you'd find elsewhere, beautifully presented and not expensive for such great quality using fresh local produce. We paid roughly £50 for three courses for two people including soft drinks and it was well worth it. My husband started with a "presse of chicken poached in truffles with leek vinaigrette" which was very tasty. The leek vinaigrette really suited the chicken dish. I had cream of cauliflower soup with crumbled blue goat's cheese and curry oil which was also delicious. I love cheese, but goat's and blue are my least favourites and yet, the flavours weren't too overpowering in amongst the cauli soup. For mains, my husband and I both chose the same dish - veal wrapped in ham with rosti since veal is not often to be found on menus locally. This was quite a rich dish which came with beautifully cooked carrots and red cabbage and a swish of roasted garlic puree on the plate - lots of strong flavours which all complemented each other nicely. When we moved on to the desserts, I chose a rhubarb panacotta which was wonderfully light and tasty while hubby opted for a frozen white chocolate parfait with griotte cherries and kirsch ice cream. As it was my birthday, he kindly allowed me to share a wee bit with him - delicious. The service at the restaurant was excellent and friendly without being at all intrusive. We visited on a Tuesday evening and counted about 15 diners which we imagine must show how popular the restaurant is for a small town like Annan early in the week. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend Del Amitri from the point of view of its food, service, location (upstairs with a lovely view out over the town centre), its decor and its use of local produce. Top marks !!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We eat here fairly regularly as we cannot find another restaurant of this caliber in Dumfriesshire. The food is freshly prepared, always beautifully cooked and presented and the front of house staff are helpful and knowledgeable. I've never had a bad meal or could say anything negative about the establishment. Reasonably priced with a good deal on the cinema package and always a beautiful selection of cheeses and good wines.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Very happy I took the recommendation from friends and finally made a reservation at Del Amitri's. Having lived in Annan for three years I regret not having been sooner, the food was as much a pleasure to eat as to look at.
My starter of ham terrine was very flavoursome and was complimented perfectly by the piccalilli purée. Main course of cod and crushed potatoes was certainly delicious, however when the pork belly ordered by others at the table I realised I had missed out on a treat. Finally the cheese board was a fine selection of local flavours. My compliments to the chef.

Service was good, attentive but not overly so allowing a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere.

A great place that certainly deserves the good reputation that it has.
We are planning to return, as soon as possible on the next special occasion, birthday, or any other night I can justify.

1  Thank Obc1986
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have visited Del Amitri 3 times now and have been very impressed each time. The thought behind each meal, the presentation and the above all the taste have always been exceptional in our view. The folk of Annan and surrounds are truly lucky to have such talented and motivated people running a restaurant sourcing local produce and making it available at such reasonable prices, you would pay twice as much in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds and London for inferior fare.

The staff and service are always first class and the town should be justly proud of Del Amitri, there is nothing in either Dumfries or Carlisle to match.

On our latest visit I had the wood pigeon breast, wrapped in black pudding, it was heavenly and all six in our party enjoyed every course.

My party were also at Del Amitri and sat close to the table of four who I believe offered a rather unflattering review of this restaurant. For what its worth I can confirm that the atmosphere in the restaurant was perfect and there was no hint of additional noise, it was a Saturday night and most tables were enjoying the food and their knight out, its tough to please everybody.

Del Amitri gives you a rich culinary experience at a very reasonable price.

We will be back.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Four of us went for a meal on a Saturday night. Two tables of six nearby were occupied by extremely loud people so much so that we had to shout at each other to be heard, not my idea of an enjoyable meal. My wife and I both had a starter of crab and smoked scallop which was tasteless. We both agreed that the main courses we had were too rich and over the top and we did not have a sweet as they all looked too rich also.
The next day both my wife and myself were ill but my sister and her partner who had different starters were fine and had really enjoyed their meal. So, I will middle rate the restaurant, we were probably just unlucky.

Lisa A, Owner at Del Amitri Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your evening with us on Saturday. Regarding the 2 other tables either side of you being slightly loud, I apologise for any inconvenience caused. We would have addressed this on the evening if asked, as we aim to make sure all our customers enjoy their experience at our Restaurant.
Also Martin (Chef) was sorry to hear you did not enjoy your starters of the crab and smoked scallop, also that you were unwell. All our dishes are freshly prepared and sourced, the dishes for each evening are freshly prepared that day. This dish has been on the menu for that week, and we have not had any other issues. We try to offer a selection of dishes to suit all tastes and palates, some dishes are lighter where some are of a richer consistancy. The menu changes on a weekly basis, we noted that the rest of your party enjoyed their meal with us. Therefore we hope that you may visit us again, and we can meet you expectations on all levels and have a very enjoyable experience. Thank you for your comments, we do welcome all opinions.