“Food Fantastic”

Allargue Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Strathdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We didn't overnight here but stopped for a lunch when we were in the area recently and had very good food so a place worth remembering if you're in this neck of the woods.

We both went for the burger, which was handmade, and the chips - again handmade - were really delicious. The chips were just how we like them: crisp and with good old fashioned taste, which often escapes the mass produced frozen ones.

The chap who was working couldn't have been nicer and obviously enjoys what he does. Very attentive but not intrusive.

I imagine this place would be fantastic mid summer when you can sit out and enjoy the views and I'm sure a great place, in the evenings, during winter when the bar's busy.

A little tired in places but I think it does have character...the bathrooms however would benefit with a makeover as they were pretty basic and could have done with a clean.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Allargue Arms Hotel

Reviewed April 20, 2013

An ideal location for those into their outdoor pursuits,walking,fishing the upper Don,sightseeing etc.Euan is always friendly ,helpful towards guests and offers value accommodation & good food & beer. Euans steaks are to die for,you wont leave disappointed.After a hearty breakfast,why not visit the nearby Corgarff Castle or a walk into the Cairngorms.Would also make an ideal base for a short skiing holiday.Would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Was expecting better for the money. Hallway smelled of wet dog, room was freezing, not very friendly but perfectly placed for the Lecht. Qudos to the guy that did breakfast in the morning, he was friendly and food was good. Apart from that, i personally won't be staying there again, but as you can see, others did like it!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Arrived in the morning with three other lads and greeted by Euan and got stuck into the bar. Our intentions were to go up and fish the local area, however between the 2 days there I believe our total fishing time amounted to 2 hours. The rest of the time was spent in the bar and watching us rapidly get snowed in. Unfortunately a few folk were involved in crashes with inanimate objects, however they found Allargue and popped in for a few drinks while arranged insurance etc. What then unfolded was probably one of the most surreal experiences in my life, which I will not go into. Euan you tell the story if you want.
Moving on, had a right good laugh with the lads, Euan and Michael behind the bar and went to bed in stitches.
To all the haters, this hotel is in the middle of NOWHERE. Yes it is basic, it is clean and it has character, and above all it's a great laugh.
To people who are looking for Scottish countryside with great people, go up and enjoy.

Oh I gave 5 stars for the swimming pool, just jump into the River Don in front of the hotel for a refreshing swim, and for fitness, come out and turn left to the top of the mountain and do that 20 times. I am sure you will be fit after that, or lying on your back wheezing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michael W
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I ended up in this 'neck of the woods' late evening hours and it was getting dark at the time, so therefore I really felt relieved, when the Hotel "popped up" out of nowhere and I simply stopped! I didn't actually see HOW filthy the room and the shower was, all I cared at that minute when I was shown the room was that its toilet appeared to be clean. Not until later that night I realized the advanced mildew in the bathroom (especially the shower) and there were rusty spots everywhere, the wash basin was in a similar disgusting state.The carpet in my room had never been cleaned nor the window or its windowsill. And there were dead bugs and spiders everywhere, spiderwebs even in the corner of the bathroom door (!) and living bugs in various corners of the ceiling as well. I managed to kill a few of them and didn't really want to know what sorts of other "species" were 'living' beneath the bed! At least the bed-linen and duvet covers were clean as were the towels! All I needed was a place to put my head to rest for a few hours and THAT really was all I cared about for one night!

I have stayed at traditional Scottish Hotels over 18yrs of travelling through Scotland and all over the Western Isles and every place provided excellent value for money! Of course I do not expect the Hilton by any means but then why do they charge prices like the Hilton???? I was asked to pay £50 quid a night for this awful place ... that's what I call a TOTAL RIP-OFF!!!
Well, in the end there was no one around the next morning to have a word with, I shouted, screamed and made some noise but nobody came nor showed up for almost 45mins! I was told the night before that Breakfast was served at 8:30 a.m., by that time the whole place was still totally abandoned (except for the bugs, spiders and critters) ... so, on second thought my safest option in the morning was to leave £30 (that's what I usually pay in Scotland at a FIVE STAR B&B!!!) with a handwritten note that by all means the requested £50 did not meet at all the standard of the room I've stayed in. I simply left without having breakfast, in case the kitchen was also a health hazard!!!

I do have to agree with some of the other reviewers, this place has absolutely the potential to be really lovely indeed!!! Brilliant location, lovely building but it needs A LOT of modernization - starting with the bathrooms and getting rid of all the dirt, dust, dead AND living bugs/spiders, but most of all the mildew and clamminess which is a serious health threat! If one would send a health inspector to this place, they would shut it down immediately for refurbishment! It not only stinks of smelly bodies and wet dogs, the clamminess and mildew is just beyond believe!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Coriace
briggies, Manager at Allargue Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

She did arrive late evening, this rubbish about my rooms being dirty surprises me as she spent a good hour in the room before coming down stairs and reading a book in the bar, you would think might have mentioned then all she asked for was the wifi code which she could not get to work.
Then in stead of speaking to my self about this proceeded to shout at my young assistant that would have been intimidating for him!!
If he had told me that evening she would have been asked to leave as I do not tolerate anyone bullying my staff.
These rooms are cleaned every day so she is full of it
The showers are old but clean.
As for the bug thing I cant answer that one maybe bugs are attracted to her 
she left before 8 am with out paying have asked trip advisor for contact details to take this further
Remember the smelly dog bit well if she had actually been shouting and making noise for 10 mins never mind 45 mins the dogs would have been going nuts and the fantasy friends in her room would have been the least of her worries (I am not a morning person)
Hence why my assistant arrives at 8.20 to cover breakfast (Yes started doing it earlier I do listen to some of you)
I don’t know may be the hole bug and critter and mildew thing is some kind of mental health thing because I went up after reading this in a panic thinking I had a insect problem and sudden damp onslaught upstairs but could find any trace of it.
Or may be a problem resulting in the lack of internet the night before as you have probably gathered I don’t put much credence to this review but thought it was time I started standing up for my self and my staff.
Don’t know how the do it in Frankfurt but here in Scotland we are inspected once a year and I got my pass from EHO not so long ago!!
One last thing I would love to modernise the place however when we keep getting certain
Type of people slating us on here (ever notice that you can have 101 people come through the door in a day and only 1 a month slates MMMM)
Then the latest people leaving with out paying how you expect us to modernise when you steal the room charge 
And once again we do have the odd hardworking chap in with a bit of a odour
And the wet dogs are mine hay it rains trust me the smell of wet dogs when the come back in is a lot better than what would happen if they did not get out.
Finally Jesus Luv get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Euan

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I agree with some of the other reviewers, this place has the potential to be lovely. Brilliant location, lovely building but it needs a bit of modernising- not to the point it loses its charm but just to make it bit more comfortable. It has a lovely bar with a cosy fire but the bedrooms are all a bit worn out. We would have had a lovely stay had it not been for the lack of customer service though. Forget actually asking your guests what they would like for breakfast, give everyone a full Scottish even if they don't touch most of it. All it would take is a bit of paper with a list of things available and you could tell the host what you'd like in the morning. Everyone would be happy. My main complaint was the prices charged for the rooms which didn't match what we got.

Room Tip: More a hostel than a hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WPipi
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Well this was a little gem found in the cold. Our host was friendly and accomodating to our needs. Fed us well that night with a delicious stew. The trick that we always rely on is that we are in their home so we are flexible and it was in low trade time so it was quiet. We found the rooms very appropriate for the Inn's age. We had an end room and it was very comfortable. It was a shame that we only had one night.Between our host and a local lad (we know he was part of the furniture) made it a memorable and hilarious night. My husband tried to sound scottish but it was an insult to any one's intelligence.We have bragged to our friends at home about this place and the characters we met.I hope our host enjoys telling other travellers the tale about the Tassie devil that he promised to display upon the bar!!!

Room Tip: don't be too fussy, basic and clean.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathdon
The Invercauld Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Tomintoul
Glen Avon Hotel
Glen Avon Hotel
#4 of 5 in Tomintoul

Been to Allargue Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!