Kildrummy Castle Hotel
Darroch Learg(Ballater)
  • Restaurant
Deeside Inn(Ballater)
  • Breakfast included
Macdonald Pittodrie House(Chapel of Garioch)
View Hotel
All reviewsdrawing roomdinner orderscallopsruined castlestately homered squirrelspublic roomsbeautiful countrysideno elevatorcountry houseonly stayed one nightwonderful hotelsuperior roomperfect staysteakroom was largefamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I stayed on the night of 18th March 2014, a family room , with my wife and teenage daughter. We were so happy that we did what a lovely hotel and the staff were so nice. The room we had was both spacious and extremely comfortable. Dinner was excellent as was breakfast . We will definately return.

Room Tip: Denburn family room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Strathpeffer
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I spent the night here as a birthday treat, and it really is wonderful. The hotel and the grounds are just beautiful, with stunning views and abundant wildlife - perfect for an afternoon stroll on a nice day.

The exterior sets expectations high, and the interior areas don't disappoint. Every room we saw of this hotel was lovely, from the grand hallway with its welcoming open fire, to the beautiful four-poster bedroom we stayed in. There's a totally-immersive "period" feel throughout (it's like something from the pages of an Agatha Christie novel!) which I can appreciate might not suit everyone, but we loved it. There is the odd wonky tap and slightly worn fixture to be found, but personally I feel that maintaining original features is far more important than having everything brand new and shiny.

We took afternoon tea in the drawing room, and dinner in the dining room, and both meals were delicious. (And again, two more exquisite rooms!) The wine list is a sommelier's dream, all French but very extensive, covering a wide variety of styles. Breakfast was buffet-style (with eggs cooked to order), and whilst the choice was huge, I'm not a great fan of this style of service as inevitably the food's cooler than I like it. My wife (who loves to play Devil's Advocate!) pointed out that some people prefer this because they are allowed to help themselves, so I accept that this is somewhat a matter of taste.

Where this hotel absolutely excels, however, is the staff. This is genuinely the best team of hospitality staff I have ever encountered, every one of them friendly, efficient and effortlessly charming. To sum up their approach, we were told that the hotel was our home during our stay, and that is exactly how we felt.

We are already planning a return visit!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Poor initial welcome and left standing at reception. Good spacious room but no central heating working in the bedroom or bathroom ~~~~IT WAS FREEZING. Food quality poor and lukewarm
Excellent location and building but the Hotel is very badly run.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank robertson27
Reviewed February 20, 2014

A really fabulous stay for valentines day at Kildrummy castle hotel.
Great place we wandered around the castle area, it is a beautiful spot and a great hotel. with charm warm ambiance and superb service. Dinner was delicious could not have chosen a better spot to spend the evening and night.
Elise and the team at the hotel really know how to make you feel welcome and at home.
room was comfortable and well appointed and the staff went out of their way to attend to any special requests.

2  Thank Elliott N
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Just spent another amazing weekend at the Kildrummy Castle Hotel. I've had a busy few weeks and really needed a stress free escape to the country and thankfully this was delivered with ease. On arrival we were greeted by Elise, like others here have said it really feels like you're visiting fiends and family such is the authentic welcome here. The upgrading of the en suite facilities is going ahead apace as well as delightful change of decor. The French flair is showing through mixing well with the traditional Scottish to provide a delightful experience. The valentines day menu was wxcellent, every course perfectly cooked and the accompanying wine was excellent and of course the whisky from the well stocked bar provided the right internal warmth. Breakfast has changed from fully served cooked to full buffet with just the eggs and poached haddock now needing to be ordered.A good range at breakfast each day and it really sets you up sharing it with a vision of pheasants on the lawn... Second night again everything perfectly cooked and the rump steak was one of the best I've had. It's the people and setting that set this place apart as special for me. We'll be back!!!....

1  Thank maraalfa