“Stunning”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alford
Glasgow, Scotland
“Stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Had the misfortune of being unable to find accommodation in Aberdeen for a few nights- I was so lucky. The surroundings are spectacular, the interior sumptuous, the staff impeccable and the food to die for. Breakfast in the dining room with rabbits, Caerphilly and grouse wandering the lawn, wake up to look over the old castle adjacent to the hills beyond.

One of the best in Aberdeenshire- if not the best, and i have sampled many!!!

Room Tip: I had one at the front but I think you could close your eyes and choose- it won't be wrong
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank chris_gla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

My grandfather and I stayed in this amazing hotel for one night in the huge twin room. The attention to detail is fabulous and the hotel is perfectly finished, in keeping with the furnishings of its glory years. The staff are lovely, particularly Fiona who looked after us very nicely. The food in the restaurant is superb. The rooms are charming with great views. Castle ruins and gardens spectacular. Our favourite accommodation on our Scotland trip. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank 1981kiwis
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed for two nights early June. Amazing setting and location. Great staff for who nothing was a problem. Did get some food orders mixed up, but that would be my only gripe. My biggest disappiontment was the rooms. No iron, fridge or a/c. To be fair we were there when it was 28deg (yes it does actually happpen in the highlands!) so I think the hotel wasn't equipped for hot weather, but still a let down there not being a fridge or iron in the room.
Overall a special place, but still has some work to do.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We did not stay here because we had already booked into another hotel

However we wish that we were staying at KCH

We did so enjoy the ambiance of the place. The hotel is what seemed to be an old Manor house built in the style of a castle. The decor was in keeping with the age and style of the place. Everything looked and had the feel of being "First Class"

The setting was magnificent. The staff were very very good . They could not do enough for you.

The wifi was free to use and worked very efficiently.

The tea and coffee went down a treat while lazing in the sun in the garden.

The hotel is adjacent to Gardens which are open to the public and which we really did enjoy.

I was so taken with this Hotel that I am trying to find an excuse to visit the area again just so that I can then stay at Kildrummy Castle Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer259
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Kildrummy Castle Hotel is off the beaten path. It was extremely scenic on the way through Aberdeenshire to get to the hotel. Worth the journey!

This hotel is stunning. The main floor rooms were beautiful. I wanted to spend time in each and everyone one. The best I can describe is that the setting reminded me of a romance novel. Such a brilliant setting. The stair case, the hallway, the library, well every room was breathtaking.

Our twin room was very spacious. I was very pleased that this hotel had not completely modernized the furniture. I felt the older furniture, wallpaper and curtains were very fitting and matched the entire decor. It is true that it did age the hotel but this was exactly what I was looking for. Very enchanting.

I didn't like the stupid art that they have hanging in the hallway. It did not match the atmosphere and it was just, well odd. They were freaky faces. The art stuck out like a sore thumb and I felt ruined the atmosphere and my pictures. I wish I knew had to photoshop them out. Just dumb.

Kildrummy Castle Hotel is not affiliated with the Kildrummy Castle ruins nor the gardens. So all 3 are different yet all beside each other. We did visit the ruins and they were probably my favourite ruins in all of Scotland. I took some fabulous pictures that I will treasure for years.

We got there for a late arrival and dinner was over at 9:30. I ordered a simple French Onion Soup that was mediocre and my friend ordered a mini pizza that was very similar to a frozen pizza from a grocery store. The next morning when we ordered breakfast, I ordered my eggs over easy and they came back rock hard. We did have wonderful conversations with the various staff. We only stayed that one night but it was lovely.

Room Tip: Give yourself lots of time to get to the Hotel so you can enjoy the scenery.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MichelleK20127
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Northern Scotland in late June is highly recommended. So very many travelers know this, Aberdeen hotel rooms are often sold out. The combination of tourist and business travel kill hotel availability quickly, and I do mean everywhere - especially during the weekdays - and particularly Monday-Wednesday nights. These were the circumstances on my June trip that led me to search outside of Aberdeen via the internet and the Kildrummy Castle Hotel popped up on the radar. I rolled the dice, and reserved a rental car. It's not terribly far as the crow flies, about 30 miles, and the scenery on the narrow route is spectacular - alone worth the diversion to see the Scottish Highlands. To make this drive, you should be honest with yourself about your skills as a driver, and your aptitude for driving on the wrong side of the road (if you're used to driving on the right). Segments of the drive can be a little narrow and you'll face intermittent local drivers quite familiar with the route who are not wasting any time. None of this should deter you from booking this hotel.

One-hundred percent recommend. The Kildrummy Castle and the attended gardens are outstanding. The grounds are beautiful. A beer on the terrace after dinner was transcendent. The hotel has French owners, ergo a French chef, so the food and wine list are spectacular. There is no fitness center, spa or pool, and aside from the castle not necessarily a destination for kids.

Room Tip: My room faced the castle which I found delightful. I don't believe there is a bad room in the ho...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Munich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Booked for 2 nights few hours before arrival and everything worked well. Parking was free and not a problem. WLAN was free - and slow. Stayed on 3rd floor, no elevator. We tried to have our first dinner at the restaurant, but they did not have the meals that were advertised in the folder in our room. We did not like the dinner; the breakfast (included in our rate) was not any better. Waitresses were not very friendly nor professional (if we saw them at all). We had the second dinner in a close by "inn" down the road and that was good. Our room was clean and absolutely quiet. We did not feel at home and would book elsewhere next time as we saw a better (and cheaper) castle close to this one, in Huntly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank freqtravmuc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alford
Douneside House
Banchory Lodge
Banchory Lodge
#1 of 3 in Banchory
Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch Suites

Been to Kildrummy Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!