“Superb!!!!!”

Kildrummy Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alford
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Only stayed one night (unfortunately ).

Stunning hotel in a beautiful setting. The French owners and their staff were excellent and the cuisine was superb.

An altogether wonderful(if short experience).

I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The rooms were great, treat yourself and upgrade to a four poster room!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank William B
There are newer reviews for Kildrummy Castle Hotel

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Have just returned home having spent three enjoyable days at this great hotel. We could thoroughly recommend it. It had charm, character and beautiful surroundings. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was good and the room was very clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. We look forward to staying here again in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lizzyjoy
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Nice spot, very traditional, nice staff and lovely location.
Room was clean and everything's need including decent wifi
Seems to be a poor area for mobile coverage ... No service on Vodafone network ... But then I was on a breakso stuff the mobile ; )

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NSXer
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The grounds and hotel are spectacular inside and out (see other reviews) and the French-inspired meals were delicious but what made this for me was the group of people looking after us. Subtle attentiveness with nothing too much trouble. We were made so welcome when we arrived and throughout our stay.

On our final morning we slept in and missed breakfast (I blame the clocks going forward rather than us just being lazy :)) Fully prepared to head off on our two hour journey home and grab something to eat on the way, the staff wouldn't hear of it and laid us a table in the bar and brought through a selection of pastries, buns tea and coffee despite the lateness of the hour. It really set us up for the day and I can't thank them enough. I would most definitely return to this calm and tranquil Aberdeenshire oasis. I just need to start saving my pennies.... :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bekibeanbag
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Resorted to Kildrummy Castle as there were no closer hotels available to Aberdeen - thankfully!
I arrived at the hotel at the top of a private drive, to find a stunning building. The setting is perfect overlooking the ruins of the castle in its own forest. While looking around the owner of the house came out to ask whether I needed help with my luggage and this set the tone for the whole of the stay. The interior of the hotel is stunning and appears all original and in fantastic order. I was shown all of the reception rooms, from the study to bar, lounge and restaurant/breakfast room, all wood panelling with quiet areas to read, a fire in the hallway and welcoming bar area. I had a deluxe room which was at the top of the hotel with its own balcony area overlooking the castle. The room while "olde worlde" as you would expect from the period of the hotel was immaculate. The evening meal was lovely with a choice of seafood dishes and a french inspired menu, the scallops st jacques were delightful and a light main course of king prawns on an oriental stir fried vegetables was very tasty. The breakfast menu had a wide variety of choice and the ingredients were all top notch. The check out was very friendly and personal and the owner again showed a lot of interest rather than chain hotels that I normally stay in. I would say that this hotel is easily worth a detour and it was a shame that I only stayed the one night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Gary B
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed for a night on the way back from a short break, as a valentine present from my boyfriend. We had a fantastic time, Very warm and friendly staff, excellent food and tranquil setting. Four poster bed was very comfortable with great view from our window. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CassellsClan
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband decided to treat me to a romantic meal out for Valentines Day. We had eaten at the hotel before and enjoyed the fantastic setting. The menu was limited to three choices for a starter ,three for a main and two for pudding of which one was a sharing dish. Of the choices given three included foie gras. I understand that the restaurant is French but I felt that this was rather extreme. As I find the production of foie gras cruel I asked to have my steak without the sauce (as did the table next to me .) When I asked if there was an alternative the response was " I should think so. " Our starter was sent to the wrong table so it took over an hour before we ate.Later when my meal arrived I had steak and a roux sauce. Not a good combination.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emma N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alford
Douneside House
#2 of 3 in Braemar
Banchory Lodge
Banchory Lodge
#1 of 3 in Banchory

Been to Kildrummy Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!