“Loads of character”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alford
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Loads of character”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Nice spot, very traditional, nice staff and lovely location.
Room was clean and everything's need including decent wifi
Seems to be a poor area for mobile coverage ... No service on Vodafone network ... But then I was on a breakso stuff the mobile ; )

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NSXer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The grounds and hotel are spectacular inside and out (see other reviews) and the French-inspired meals were delicious but what made this for me was the group of people looking after us. Subtle attentiveness with nothing too much trouble. We were made so welcome when we arrived and throughout our stay.

On our final morning we slept in and missed breakfast (I blame the clocks going forward rather than us just being lazy :)) Fully prepared to head off on our two hour journey home and grab something to eat on the way, the staff wouldn't hear of it and laid us a table in the bar and brought through a selection of pastries, buns tea and coffee despite the lateness of the hour. It really set us up for the day and I can't thank them enough. I would most definitely return to this calm and tranquil Aberdeenshire oasis. I just need to start saving my pennies.... :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bekibeanbag
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Resorted to Kildrummy Castle as there were no closer hotels available to Aberdeen - thankfully!
I arrived at the hotel at the top of a private drive, to find a stunning building. The setting is perfect overlooking the ruins of the castle in its own forest. While looking around the owner of the house came out to ask whether I needed help with my luggage and this set the tone for the whole of the stay. The interior of the hotel is stunning and appears all original and in fantastic order. I was shown all of the reception rooms, from the study to bar, lounge and restaurant/breakfast room, all wood panelling with quiet areas to read, a fire in the hallway and welcoming bar area. I had a deluxe room which was at the top of the hotel with its own balcony area overlooking the castle. The room while "olde worlde" as you would expect from the period of the hotel was immaculate. The evening meal was lovely with a choice of seafood dishes and a french inspired menu, the scallops st jacques were delightful and a light main course of king prawns on an oriental stir fried vegetables was very tasty. The breakfast menu had a wide variety of choice and the ingredients were all top notch. The check out was very friendly and personal and the owner again showed a lot of interest rather than chain hotels that I normally stay in. I would say that this hotel is easily worth a detour and it was a shame that I only stayed the one night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Gary B
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed for a night on the way back from a short break, as a valentine present from my boyfriend. We had a fantastic time, Very warm and friendly staff, excellent food and tranquil setting. Four poster bed was very comfortable with great view from our window. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CassellsClan
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband decided to treat me to a romantic meal out for Valentines Day. We had eaten at the hotel before and enjoyed the fantastic setting. The menu was limited to three choices for a starter ,three for a main and two for pudding of which one was a sharing dish. Of the choices given three included foie gras. I understand that the restaurant is French but I felt that this was rather extreme. As I find the production of foie gras cruel I asked to have my steak without the sauce (as did the table next to me .) When I asked if there was an alternative the response was " I should think so. " Our starter was sent to the wrong table so it took over an hour before we ate.Later when my meal arrived I had steak and a roux sauce. Not a good combination.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma N
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We went for dinner and although we are local we decided to treat ourselves to a room for the night. The meal was delicious, the room was lovely and the breakfast first class. Added to that the welcoming and friendly staff, a great time was had and we will visit again soon. Did I mention how good the breakfast was? :)

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntly, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Great to see the hotel open again
This is a spectacular place to stay . Glorious setting with ancient castle ruins in full view of the Victorian Hotel . Grand entrance and huge oak pannelled hallway with elegant stairs inviting you up to suptuous rooms . Four posters in some rooms and comfortable beds !
The staff with Fiona who has been an ever present for 25 years and the new proprietors who offer exellent advice re wines for the meals and are most attentive .
The food in truth was not exceptional in fact some dishes - veg lasagne not at restaurant standard but honestly the food is a mere detail - this is a great place to go with friends and enjoy the ambience , the place itself , the helpful staff and good wine and of course the whisky which has its own menu .
Thoroughly enjoyable place to go , you will enjoy !

Room Tip: we have not stayed since it reopened Our favourite was The Clochter pot !