“Lovely Home! Lovely Hosts! Great Location”
Review of Laurel Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Magherafelt
Laurel Villa
Ranked #1 of 4 Magherafelt B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This is a truly lovely home. The hosts are warm, gracious, friendly, yet know when to hold back. Geraldine is beautiful both inside and out. Just tell her what you want to see or do and she’s on it. Trust me, she knows everyone! Eugene is an expert on all things Seamus Heaney, the 1995 Nobel Literature winner. Local tours of Heaney’s ties to the area can be arranged. Thanks to the extensive resources and local network of Geraldine and Eugene, we were able to find evidence of our ancestors. The home is a perfect mix of antiques with a tweak of modern, art and Seamus Heaney poems. The beds were luxurious – the bedding even better. Breakfast served on freshly-pressed linen was delicious. Magherafelt is “Irish charming” yet large enough to offer most modern conveniences. It’s well situated between Derry, Giant’s Causeway-Bushmills and Belfast and is only a few hours from Dublin. Be sure to ask Geraldine to put you in touch with Horner’s Gallery which has a great assortment of local art. As a travel agent, I highly recommend Laurel Villa. My only wish is that I could have stayed much longer.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 19, 2009

I was graciously welcomed on my arrival by Eugene and Geraldine. The reason for travelling to Magherafelt was that my great grandfather was born nearby, in Killyfaddy. Before I had arrived we had exchagned emails about this and Eugene had located some information for me, while Geraldine had thought about a person that may be connected and provided a phone contact. My experience is that they were thoughtful hosts with a desire to make your visit a success whatever its reason. The breakfast was lovely with gorgeous fruit salad prepared fresh each day. They were very knowageable about the area which was useful if you want to travel around the district.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I stayed in Laurel Villa three nights but could have remained a week and still have found it lovely and interesting. The home is beautiful, the Kielts wonderful, and their sons, Diarmaid and Padraig my good friends now. I toured Heaney country with Eugene learning more than I ever knew even though I've been a Heaney fan since 1984; even taught his poetry last semester in a Institute for Learning in Retirement. My time in Magherafelt was far better and more memorable than I ever expected. I would return in a minute. Thank you Geraldine, Eugene, Padraig and Dairmaid. A visit will live forever in my memories!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We went to Magherafelt with two hopes - to track down the origins of my wife's long-since deceased grandmother and to find out a bit more about Seamus Heaney, who we have recently "discovered".
Well, we got more than we bargained for. First of all, the guest house is just beautiful - immaculately presented but very comfortable and welcoming, and a lovely breakfast - thanks to Gerardine. Secondly, Eugene's "Heaney Tour" was really memorable - a mixture of geographic delights and vibrant local history. Last but by no means least, we traced a few more branches on the family tree, and that was thanks to Eugene. We have very happy memories of Laurel Villa and all that goes with it and neither of us will forget the pleasure that we gained from our stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank timnchris
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Laurel Villa is a beautiful spot, right near the heart of Magherafelt. Eugene and Gerardine Kielt have created a home that honors great Irish poets, particularly Seamus Heaney. Gerardine's breakfast was fabulous. The home is quiet, very clean, and beautifully kept, with a full library of Heaney's works and an idyllic backyard garden to sit and read. As a teacher of literature, I benefited tremendously from Eugene's copious and inspired tour of the landscape and haunts that inspired the Nobel Prize winning work of Seamus Heaney. I return from this stay with even more enthusiasm for his work and the life that inspired it. The Kielts are wonderful people, very genuinely dedicated to making the stay a most comfortable and fulfilling one. We will gladly return!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I recently stayed at Laural-Villa with my husband and his elderly parents for 5 nights. We found the property and it's owners fantastic. The rooms were a good size, each with its own identity. There were very clean and tidy. Breakfasts were especially nice each morning, Gerardine's fruit salad, the scones bacon, eggs and father's favourite, the potato paddies. Eugene was very helpful in sourcing information for us in regards to our family history searches.
This Bed & Breakfast has a 3 star rating but is 5 star quality is our opinion. Well done and thanks,

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Good hosts, safe parking, friendly and helpfull. it must be good Gary Lineker stayed the weekend before we arrived. If you are into irish poets and victorian bedrooms this is for you.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magherafelt
Apparo
Tullylagan Country House Hotel
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Galgorm Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Laurel Villa? Share your experiences!