“The Retreat, Grey Abbey, Northern Ireland”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greyabbey
The Retreat Greyabbey Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Greyabbey B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We travelled to this part of Ireland to meet with a large group of biker friends and discovered The Retreat on the Internet. Our initial enquiries were quickly and helpfully responded to by Bill and Barbara and our welcome on the drive was warm and welcoming .... as was the rest of our stay. Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts. Their home is clean and fresh, the food is good. Our en-suite room looked and smelt wonderful and had much more to offer than 'normal' B&Bs - bath robes, plush towels and an amazingly comfortable king size bed. Free chocolates in the room too - well, a sure way to a girl's heart I'd say. We felt that Bill and Barbara were friends we hadn't yet met and we thoroughly enjoyed everything about out stay, including their company. The icing on the cake - if you could possibly wish for more - was the truly wonderful reflexology and massage treatments given by Barbara. Now .... let's get the diary and see when we can return ..........

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Retreat Greyabbey Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Fantastic place with great food and great company. A real piece of the peaceful countryside in Northern Ireland.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We visited the area as I am researching my family who originated from Belfast and the surrounding area. Barbara and Bill are outstanding at running this B and B, after staying 4 nights we felt as though we had known them for years. Their home is beautifully located, Bills cooking is excellent and they certainly know how to look after their guests.We had fantastic weather during our whole stay and there is plenty to do in the area, there are some great National Trust properties nearby and little villages to visit and Belast is an easy 40 minute drive away. It was my first visit to Northern Ireland and the people are so friendly and welcoming. Barbara and Bill go out of their way to make you feel at home, nothing was too much trouble for them. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2011

That's what Bill Rush told me during our email exchange booking my stay and boy was he right. I stayed three nights had a wonderful time. Bill and Barbara are excellent hosts. The house is beautiful. The rooms are bright, clean and spacious. I had a hearty cooked breakfast every day by Bill and didn't need to eat again until dinner time. It rained every day I was there, so it was nice to come home to such a warm and welcoming place to stay. It was superbly located for me as I was doing family history research on the Ards Peninsula. But I also did some sightseeing and it was well-suited for that as well. In the summertime it would be very accessible for all the major attractions in the area on both sides of the Strangford Lough and the Irish Sea coast on the east side of the peninsula. Barbara and Bill are outgoing and enjoyable people and kept me entertained as a single traveler. They had great suggestions for dining out at night and know the area very well. They were also very accommodating...I asked Bill to arrange a tour for me in Belfast and he took care of it without hesitation. It was a great get-away and I plan on going back. Ten out ten, as they say in the UK!

J. Conklin

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2011

The Retreat is in a lovely country setting, but you are very close to some villages. Bill and Barbara are outstanding hosts. We had tea when we arrived and warmed ourselves in front of the log burner. Our room was lovely- large, great beds, and the bathroom was huge with many lotions and potions. The breakfast was great and serve with a flair. The best part about The Retreat is getting to know Bill and Barbara. They helped us with banking issues, places to go, and how to drive around Belfast. I would give The Retreat a "10" if possible.
Thank you Bill and Barbara for welcoming us into your lovely home.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mtcms
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Barbara and Bill are excellent hosts, They make you very welcome. The rooms are fabulous, bright modern and clean, Bill did us cooked breakfast which was to die for, nothing is too much trouble, I asked for low fat, there was not a sign of any grease and the food was great.Barbara offers massage and reflexology.We will be going back there when ever we are in Northern Ireland.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
alice1030, Owner at The Retreat Greyabbey Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Bridget thank you very much, we appreciate your lovely comments. It was great to have you both back again staying with us and we are glad that you had an enjoyable visit. The singing chef looks forward to cooking you another breakfast.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

There are so many nice things to say about Barbara and Bill's Retreat, that there is not enough room on here for them all. A true oasis while on your traveling journey, Barbara and Bill will treat you with a warm and cozy atmosphere and truly welcome you into their home. My family and I were a group of eight, including a baby. Barbara and Bill handled us with total ease and also became a very special part of our Journey. It would be a shame for anyone to miss this opportunity to experience true Irish hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sheena f

Hi Sheena we have just read your lovely review and your kind comments mean a lot to us. Bill and I loved having you all stay and the house seemed very quiet when you left. That last evening all sitting around the table for hours will always stay with us as a special memory. Hope our input helped with the research for the family tree. If you are ever back in Northern Ireland you will be made very welcome here and we would love to see you. Barbara & Bill xx

Also consider these accommodations in or near Greyabbey
Strangford Arms Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newtownards
Anna's House
Anna's House
#2 of 2 in Comber

Been to The Retreat Greyabbey Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!