“Great service and food”
Review of Les Caveaux - CLOSED

Les Caveaux
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Wonderful Downstairs cellar bar. Unique in so many ways with a real stone floor. The upstairs dining room boasts panoramic views across the bustling small town of Holmfirth. The atmosphere offered in both of these areas is second to none in the Holme Valley.
“Great service and food”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was my first visit for a few years, i had previously sat downstairs so we waited to be seated upstairs which is much preferable. We were with friends and all enjoyed the food very much, the fish dishes were excellent especially the Sea Bass! All the staff were pleasant and very attentive making you feel welcome. A lovely little restaurant we will be visiting again.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Margaret L
Les_Caveaux, Owner at Les Caveaux, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Les Caveaux Tapas & Wine Bar. I'm very pleased you enjoyed the experience of dining in the upstairs of the restaurant. Although different in appearance to the famous 'cellar' the food is cooked by the same team of Chef's and in the same kitchen.

I very much hope to see you in the restaurant again very soon,

Kind Regards,

“good food.atmosphere”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

went with friends sat night.really nice cosy intimate atmosphere.the guys serving us were brilliant.the food was excellent.we all left happy.will be back.ate upstairs.much better than down in cellar which was offered at first but we waited for upstairs.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank gazeer
Les_Caveaux, Owner at Les Caveaux, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for taking time out to review Les Caveaux Tapas & Wine Bar.

Its fantastic to hear such great feedback from our customers. After a very busy Christmas it is now a new year. The bar this year is set as high as it ever has been before it is up to all my staff to meet these standards, with no exceptions!

I do hope to see you in the restaurant again very soon!

Kind Regards,

London, United Kingdom
“Ask for a seat upstairs”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Pros:
Friendly service
Nice chicken wings

Cons:
Very cold cellar seating area
Luke warm food
Under cooked bread (very doughy!)
Weren't asked if we'd like any more drinks after we'd started eating, even though we'd finished all our drinks.

Les_Caveaux, Owner at Les Caveaux, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Les Caveaux Tapas & Wine Bar.

Firstly I'd like to thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. They are a lovely bunch and do try their very best to provide you with the best possible experience. Also the Spicy Wings in our secret recipe marinade are to die for!

In terms of the cellar one of the reasons for my recent decision to expand the restaurant is because in Winter the cellar bar does provide some practical problems. One of these can be heating. We have two mobile heaters down there however on the odd occasion this can still not be enough. In the near future this heating problem will be no more! So I plead with you to sit tight and re-visit us very soon in the new year where you will be able to dine in the up-most comfort!

Kind Regards & Happy New Year,

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Very Good but could be excellent”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

For spanish tapas, could do with a bit more seasoning - all the dishes were slightly on the bland side. Definitely lacking in greenery choices - not just lack of vegitarian choices but also hardly any greenery to be seen.

Les_Caveaux, Owner at Les Caveaux, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for posting your review on Les Caveaux Tapas & Wine Bar. All feedback is vital to our improvement so thank you for that.

In terms of vegetarian choices there are currently around 10 different dishes all completely vegetarian. On a weekend this goes up to around 12-13 as the specials boards will always have 2-3 Vegetarian items on it. In fact there are more vegetarian items to choose from than there are in the meat section! This is one reason why we tend to be very popular with vegans/vegetarians especially as we change the menu around 5 times a year as to keep all the produce fresh and up to date with the seasonal trends.

If you were seeking further greenery with your rustic Spanish tapas i would draw your attention to the Ensaladas (Salads) section of our menu in which there is a choice of two cold salads or two warm salads, all of which are extremely tasty!

Again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you in Les Caveaux Tapas & Wine Bar very soon!

Kind Regards & Happy New Year,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A word of warning!”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I don't normally review places but feel that this is a must. I have eaten at this establishment a number of times over the years (usually when the old owners had it) but the last time was about 2 years ago until last night. Why the long break from it? Well the food was poor two years ago and didn't want to waste my money. However, last night i thought i would give it a go again having read some positive reviews for 2013. I really wish i hadn't!!
Upon arrival myself and my husband were the only 2 people in the restaurant. The atmosphere therefore wasn't great but on a plus we thought the food would be perfect, seeing as they had no other customers to juggle.
Firstly the menu on the website is outdated and doesn't resemble the food offered in the restaurant. There are more choices of wine than there are dishes. We ordered six dishes of which only two were at a temperature you would want to eat. The rest were tepid and looked congealed (the mussels in particular). The QUEEN scallops have never seen QUEEN they were the most minuscule of scallops of which we paid £6 for the dish for 6 of these tiny things. They were about the size of £1 coin!!! The mussels as i say were in a lovely flavoured sauce but they were luke warm when brought to the table and then cold by the time we got round to eating them due to the fact that all the dishes were rushed out to us all at the same time. So of course the dishes are going to get cold!!! The Seafood Paella was pretty much bereft of seafood - one prawn, 2 mussels, 1 scallop and the most bland rice I've ever tasted. The beef tagine was very tasty apart from the fact that it was clear the meat and sauce was just mixed into some overcooked couscous which was not mixed very well and it was 'plain' and still in big clumps. The deep fried brie i was excited for. When it arrived it just looked like a burnt door wedge. The crumb was black in colour simply tasted of fat and the brie was not melted entirely inside it. This very non-enjoyable night out cost us £41.50 for these 6 dishes and one pint of lager which was £4.20 itself!!!!!Unbelieveably overpriced!
A word of warning…there are better places to eat in holmfirth. It was so bad that we left and went to Brambles for pudding!

Les_Caveaux, Owner at Les Caveaux, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for taking time out to write a review on Les Caveaux Tapas & Wine Bar.

Firstly I am very disappointed that your review suggests you had a poor experience when visiting recently. I have had Les Caveaux Tapas & Wine Bar for around 2 years and never received any feedback quite like this. There are a number of things in your review that I would like to discuss further.

Firstly there is no excuse for your food not being at the correct temperature and I would accept total responsibility for that as owner. This is a pet hate of mine and is unacceptable. However had you spoken to the very attentive waiter at the time we would have rectified this problem without question!

I also am aware the menu on the website is clearly in need of another update. At Les caveaux Tapas & Wine Bar we change our menu around 5 times a year. This ensures we use the freshest ingredients and our menu keeps up to the trends of the season. Around three quarters of what you find online however is still available but I do accept that the fish dishes especially are now not applicable to the current menu. However this is in an attempt to provide the customer with the Freshest and best quality produce possible!

I must dispute your mention of there being a greater choice of wine than food. This is completely incorrect. In fact there is around 35-40 Tapas dishes available (depending on the number of fish dishes/specials that change daily available) compared to 26 different choices of wine.

You also mention about your 'QUEEN' Scallops being 'minuscule' yet at the same time describe the size being that of a £1 coin. I would consider Queen Scallops of that size to be great value and I would imagine you will find it difficult to source Queen Scallops any bigger than that without them being 'KING' Scallops.

Another thing I will also take complete responsibility for is the dishes coming out to you at the same time, and again the result being some of the dishes falling below your desired temperature. Your waiter on the day should have asked if you wanted the dishes together or in small bursts. This clearly didn't happen however in the same breath you didn't request the food to be staggered either. Since you raised this issue within this review it is now a key question asked to customer by all of our front of house staff. They will now ask all tables whether they want their food all together or not. This is why all feedback is of value as we constantly seek to improve.

The brie you say was 'black' which suggests it was burnt however you then say the cheese was not completely melted inside, this suggests it was under cooked. This makes this very difficult for me to comment and doesn't really seem to add up? As for the rice and cous-cous both being bland, this again surprises me as the 'Paella' is probably our most popular dish and with the seafood, chorizo and mixed peppers is usually full of flavour.

Also if you found the bill expenisve in price I'd like to reccommend our 'Wine & Dine for £30' special offer that includes 5 tapas dishes plus a bottle of our house wine. This is extremely good value for money I am sure you will agree.

Once again I would like to reiterate my disappointment in your evening spent with us. I do feel some of the points you brought up are a little odd however it doesn't mean I don't intend to follow up on the problems raised. We are a young team striving to offer the very best and rounded service within the Holme Valley. Receiving feedback is a great way to improve further. If possible I would very much like to speak to you further to see if there is something we can do to repair your opinion on our restaurant, so please if you could call 01484 689003 we can go from there.

Happy New Year