“overpriced”

The White Horse Inn
Ranked #45 of 86 Restaurants in Holmfirth
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Community child and dog friendly pub serving homemade affordable food.
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

came here as my dad won a meal for two so we brought them on thursday . my mum is disabled and can hardly walk & took us to the furthest table away even though they saw she was struggling . it was full of rowdy men . we ordered 2:-X mussels 4z:-X steak as it was steak night 2 for £19.95 plus £9.95 for wine . my steak which was rare was well not rare . the other 3 were so dry and tough . the mussels came with a knife & fork ? normally have a finger bowl with lemon . when we got our bill it was more expensive but my mum told me not to argue . so slow service . overpriced and not v nice .

1  Thank YorkshireKebab

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I agree with the last review my friend and I went for lunch here, as a local I tried to strike up conversation with the landlord, who was extraordinarily rude. We were v hungry so we decided to ignore him and ordered a steak, the steak was like a piece of rubber. Also I can confirm I have seen the landlord and wife smoking in their whites outside. This pub has never been brilliant, it used to be the 'last of the summer wine' pub, now its run by 'the last of the summer whiners'. It could be such a nice family pub, instead it is just a depressing badly run excuse for a pub.

3  Thank Paulhuduk
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We live locally and often see the landlord and landlady sat outside the front door smoking whilst dressed in catering attire, not a very good example for a pub that serves food and the welcome you get is not at all forthcoming, everything seems too much trouble

3  Thank Stoths
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The menu is fairly limited and there were no specials, but the food was well cooked and very good value. Would visit again.

1  Thank LookItsJonno
Reviewed March 6, 2013

As a resident of Jackson Bridge for 29 years the White Horse is a village focal point and has been transformed into my pub of choice. Why?- excellent decor, warm open fire, informal dining, high standard and choice of pub food, beer and wines and outstanding value. Dave is a true character and Sarah an excellent chef and they make every effort to ensure that you enjoy your meals.
In the last week, I have had a £5.95 2 course set lunch enhanced bya bottle of the Pecheron South African Shiraz shared with friends and a family a la carte meal for 8. The vegetarians were delighted with the wide veggie selection and the carnivores were very happy with the tasty pies and excellent chips. The steaks with all the trimmings are also highly recommended and were hand delivered by Sarah and cooked precisely as ordered.
If you want accomodation or food and drinks at affordable prices in a hospitable village inn, I recommend the White Horse. All this plus the Summer Wine heritage which fascinated family visitors from East Anglia.

1  Thank Brian M