“Good value hotel.”
Review of Old Bridge Inn

Old Bridge Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holmfirth
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Good value hotel, right in the centre of Holmfirth. We have never stayed in The Old Bridge before, but would not hesitate to do so again, as long as we had a different room. Unlike some of the others who have left reviews, we were not going to the Picturedome next door and had no idea that it existed. The hotel was warm, clean and the staff very friendly, during the day it was perfect for all our needs, it was at night that our problems started. The Picturedome had bands on both nights that we stayed . They finished around 11.30pm, and the exit doors open onto the front of the hotel. It was not the rush of people leaving that caused us two interupted nights sleep, but the people who stayed around into the early hours of the morning shouting and laughing. When we mentioned this at reception, they said next time to request a room at the rear. They get this kind of comment from others, but as so many people book over the internet, how are they to know why you are staying. So beware, ring up and speak to someone with your request. Unlike a recent reviewer, we found the food above average. We stay in hotels often and can say the breakfast was very good. The full english had much more variety than many places. One morning people were coming in for the breakfast, who were not staying at the hotel, because of its reputation.The evening meal was above pub grub. The bar a good place to relax in, with a range of keg beers. We would not hesitate to stay here again in a room as far away as possible to the Picturedome.

Room Tip: Depends why you are staying. Please read review. Found location rating a hard one to answer. In the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LASEngland

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were going to a concert and liked the fact that the hotel was next door. Although my room was very small, it was clean and comfortable. About 15 of us had a wonderful sunday dinner there and the beer selection in the bar is very good too. When we returned from the show we set up shop in the sizable bar and restaurant area and continued to socialize for quite some time. The few of us who had cars had no problems with parking and the bus stop is directly in front of the hotel. Holmfirth is a beautiful old town and the Old Bridge Hotel is a beautiful hotel. I will definately stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ricka..
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've stayed at the Bridge on several occasions and have always been happy with my stays. Never been in the room we had this time and was more than happy with the level of cleanliness and the bathroom (shower over bath with very hot water).

We didn't eat in the hotel on the evening of our arrival but the food being served to a packed bar looked substantial, tasty and well received by the diners. My daughter and her friend both had dinner before heading out to their gig at Picturedrome next door and the waiting staff could not have been more accommodating for the friend's extremely fussy eating. Reports on dinner were very positive from my vegetarian daughter and from her picky friend.

At breakfast the next morning however, not so impressed. Firstly, we were a party of four in two seperate rooms. We met at 9am but couldn't get a table for four. I don't doubt that staff would have happily re-set a table but by that time the girls has already sat down with the cereal at a hemmed in table under the window. A couple on the neighbouring table encroaching in to the space made it impossible for us to join them.

Orange juice was emp[ty and took several minutes to refill. I poured a coffee from the filter stand only to get it to my table to find it absolutely stone cold. I pointed this out to the waitress who did not offer to replace it for me but removed the offending filter jug, albeit after several minutes and the arrival of other residents. I ordered scrambled egg, mushrooms and tomato, my partner sausages and scrambled egg. We both foung the egg extremely rubbery, leading us to the conclusion that it had either been under hot holding for too long, or had been microwaved. Tomato was tinned and mushrooms were also a little rubbery. I note the comment from Rachel (Bridge manager) about offering fresh or tinned - unfortunately I was not offered the choice. My partner received one very 'well fired' sausage with his rubbery eggs. I think staff also need to get the hang of the new toaster as it takes two, very slow, rounds of the moving trivet to brown the toast adequately. While we were attempting breakfast (I gave up on mine), the neighbouring table asked for a cafetiere of coffee, which the staff very obligingly made up for them. Unfortunately the poor lass who made it up didn't appear to know what coffee/water ratio to use for the pot (fresh Grumpy Mule bean - an excellent coffee) and did warn the diner that it may be too strong. She did however also provide a pot of hot water "just in case". To be honest though, Grumpy Mule coffee is a quality coffee that is tricky to get wrong, but hideous if you do, I can understand why she was nervous about making up a cafetiere and think she did the right thing in providing water. This could have been avoided however had she been given correct training in how to make it up, which appears not to have been the case. Unfortunate given that Grumpy Mule are more than happy to provide training in house (they came to me in Scotland from Meltham to train my staff!).

My daughter ordered a vegetarian cooked breakfast and on going to her table before we left I noticed her two fried eggs yolks were almost solid and her hash browns looked greasy and like they had been deep fried. I sincerely hope this wasn't the case!

I work in the food trade and have to say, was deeply unimpressed with the standard of breakfast. There was a comment that the breakfast manager was off that day, in which case the management should consider training up a deputy to cover such occasions and should maintain good levels of training with regard to service and coffee making. I note from Rachel's comments on another review that Bridge receives many positive comments about their breakfasts so I would like to give benefit of the doubt that this was a one off.

I will most certainly be back to the Old Bridge Hotel, quite regularly, as the friendly, eager to please, helpful and efficient staff twinned with the value for money rooms (some of which are in need of updating but I believe this may be in progress) make The Old Bridge a really nice place to stay when I'm down on business or visiting The Picturedrome. Their beers are excellent, if a little too easy to drink, and their service and facilities are great. I feel a couple of the poor reviews on here are a tad severe and the only reason I didn't complain to the staff about the poor breakfast was because they were run off their feet and it seemed unfair to do that in those circumstances.

As the titile suggests - a nice place to stay but some closer attention to detail would make all the difference.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the rear of the building if you're bothered by road noise at all. The road ou...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vetusmatris
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here 13/10/2012 even thought it was only one night i had a poor experience, my room was very small with a tiny shower room, cost the same as my friends room which was bigger and had a shower and bath, i could not get any sleep due to the wall between my room and next door being too thin , number 29 , i could hear the man in the next room,snoring, coughing snorting to clear his nose, after complaining to staff i was told that my room and the one next door was originally a double room and had been made into two singles, hotel generally a bit tired and old fashioned decor, a bit like a nursing home,this is more like a b& b than a hotel .

Room Tip: find a different b&b or hotel in the area , sunnybank guest house very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We held our engagement party in the function room here. Holmfirth was a great location for it as Holmfirth has good access from the surrounding areas, which meant friends and family could make their way easily. The staff were always very helpful and friendly. Rachel was a star when it came to us sorting out just what we wanted, even though we kept changing our minds in the run up to the party.

We had a basic buffet based on one of the set buffet menus, here they were accommodating to our budget and requests. Everybody said the food was really good, and there was plenty of it. Unlike some places that would only provide a small amount per head, there was a generous amount of food.

We were allowed to decorate the room as we wished and in plenty of time before the party was due to start, and we were allowed music on until a reasonable time. The private bar was manned all through the party and the barman was very friendly with our guests.

There are separate toilets for the room as well which was convenient, especially for older relatives who may have struggled with the stairs to the public bar.

We were allowed to bring our own music equipment and this was tidied up for us and kept safe to collect the next day - and there were no complaints when we arrived rather late in the afternoon to collect it.

We had quite a lot of guests arrive (going on for 100) and although not a large room, the staff were very helpful at allowing us to get extra chairs out as we needed them. Parking was a bit of an issue but there is plenty of parking in Holmfirth that is free at that time of night - it may not of helped that apparently The Jam were playing in the Picturedrome though.

Thank you for allowing us to have a great party to celebrate our engagement and for all the help you provided.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank woohooitsdave
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary??? bad idea there may not be another one!...the wife was less than happy shall I say.....one of their 'best' rooms?

On arrival took nearly fifteen minutes to park, vans other non resident cars....

When given key....there was no directions to room for example up stairs on your left

Small dark room........bathroom nice but stark, some liquid in soap dispenser, no sample shower gel/shampoo etc....no hairdryer....half a toilet roll on holder.....faulty cistern (which they were aware off)

Though there was an ashtray provided on the balcony.....there where several soggy cigarette butts lying (it had been raining) on the floor

Breakfast time.... uninviting and drab old stained seating......I had toast which was well undercooked and tea.....now this is what the wife was least happy with she chose 'full English' (we did not have anything else)
She wishes she had taken a picture of it.......1 sausage, 1 rasher bacon, 1 slice black pudding, 1 hash brown in a' sea' of beans and TINNED tomatoes, with too rubberised eggs on top.undercooked toast.the 80's Porridge sitcom came to mind! or Compo slopping a nice bit of dry bread in it.....now she realised it was not a good choice as other breakfasts on other tables looked fine...no one else was having a' truckers' breakfast....she said she was not happy at the time? no response....on leaving mentioned it and was told there is juice from tinned tomatoes.and they get good reviews for their breakfasts....why half a tin of tomatoes why not grilled ones? and beans and no attempt to drain..to fill the plate and make it look substantial?....between what appeared to be cheap beans and tomatoes and the sea of liquid (best eat this with a spoon) it looked like it had been slopped on the plate by someone who didnt care (looked like they didnt.....)

We where glad we went across the road to Brambles for our dinner the previous evening which was fabulous!!

Over priced and take it or leave it attitude with staff......would NOT recommend

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
MatCharity, Manager at Old Bridge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review to which we would like to respond to your points.

Car parking

We are pleased to offer complimentary car parking for guests to the hotel and spaces are available on a first come basis. In addition, there is plenty of car parking availability in the town centre, very close to the Old Bridge Hotel.

Check-in

Our reception team always aim to give residents full directions to their bedroom and also offer assistance, if required, with luggage. We apologise if you did not receive our normal level of service on this occasion.

Bedroom

A selection of complimentary toiletries are provided by our attentive housekeeping team during the room preparation, and our liquid soap is regularly replenished. Further supplies can always be organised by contacting reception and we would have been delighted to organise this for you. Our hair-driers are located in the top drawer of the chest of drawers in each bedroom, and this information is confirmed in the room Guest Directory.

We apologise if the ashtray on your balcony had been missed and if you had reported the issue to Reception we would have been more than happy to organise this for you.

Breakfast

We receive a great many compliments for our breakfasts at the Old Bridge Hotel and we use only high quality produce. We are happy for guests to choose a variety of items and this includes the option of either fresh or tinned tomatoes. In addition, we have now introduced a toaster for our breakfast buffet area to enable guests to make their own toast to their own preference.

On this occasions it appears that we did not live up to your expectations for which we are truly sorry. Again, if we had been made aware of any of your issues at the time, we would have made every effort to resolve them for you.

Kind Regards
General Manager Rachel Armstrong

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This hotel is situated right in the center of Holmfirth. The hotel is very old and has beamed ceilings. The rooms are of a good standard and are well maintained. The food in the hotel is excellent with a good choice and plenty of it at a reasonable price. A good selection of beers and lagers ect are to be found at the bar. The breakfast is very good with a good selection.
The staff are helpfull and pleasant to speak with. The room prices are reasonable and there are different types of rooms. One room has a 4 poster bed and access to the large balcony at the front of the hotel (used to be the honeymoon suite).
Overall a great hotel to stay in with lots of character. Hotel has got limited parking but 2 minutes walk away there is free parking after 6 pm, (co-op car park).i reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room with 4 poster bed has access on to large balcony at front of hotel. Rooms higher up can give a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holmfirth
Durker Roods Hotel
0 mi away
The Rooms at the Nook
The Rooms at the Nook
#5 of 12 in Holmfirth

Been to Old Bridge Inn? Share your experiences!