“Excellent Fish & Chips, Takeaway Staff Miserable.”

Compo's Take Away and Family Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 80 Restaurants in Holmfirth
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Shaw, Oldham
“Excellent Fish & Chips, Takeaway Staff Miserable.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Once again had excellent fish and chips today, Once again served by miserable, unhelpful serving staff in the takeaway. We have visited on many occasions being served by a variety of miserable staff, on one occasion we was served by a very helpful and smart boy and girl ( I think they normally work in the restaurant ), this is so rare at Compo's that we actually praised these two young people whilst they served us. I know it's a chippy but Don't have a jacket potato, they are tiny. TAKEAWAY STAFF, IF YOU DON'T LIKE WORKING THERE, GET ANOTHER JOB! you are enough to put customers off! Oh, and try cleaning up the seating area outside, Disgusting!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank DRGreenwood

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Quality Fish & Chips”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

They claim to serve the best fish & chips in the area and I would totally agree. Fish was freshly fried in a light & crispy batter. Chips were beautiful as were the peas, all washed down with a spot on cup of tea. Well done Compo's

South Yorkshire
“A Nice Treat”
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We have had Take aways from Compos Cafe before and have always enjoyed eating them in the car as part of our walks around local reservoirs.
I ordered two childrens meals, both hot and fresh with a drink and colouring pack.
Our two meals of fish and chips with peas and one with curry sauce was lovely and fresh. The young girl got the order correct and let me carry each meal out to my hungry family. My wife did think the batter was slightly overcooked, dark brown and crispy but overall an enjoyable meal eaten at the top of Holme Moss.

• Visited July 2013
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“Consistently good”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Nice friendly staff; very good value; clean, bright restaurant and the quality of the fish and chips is of a consistently high standard

Visited July 2013
“Second visit - worse not better”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I reviewed Compos last November and disputed a claim that they were making at the time that they "offer their visitors the best fish and chips in Yorkshire". Not "aim to" or "probably" or "possibly". Mathew responded by saying it was a matter of opinion.
Since then I have given three chippies in Yorkshire and N Lincs an excellent rating on TripAdvisor and visited countless others who are not on here or who just have a takeaway.As I had read positive reviews of Compos since and i was in the area I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.
The Jumbo cod was a decent size as one would expect for the price (£6.05 for a takeaway including the chips) and the chips were Ok. The batter was dark (overcooked in my opinion - please check the photo) and unpleasant and left me with a queasy feeling for the rest of the day. And compared to other chippies in Yorkshire the fish was pretty bland - in my opinion, of course.

I won't be back for a third time.

1 Thank DVETheK