“Consistently good”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“Consistently good”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Nice friendly staff; very good value; clean, bright restaurant and the quality of the fish and chips is of a consistently high standard

Visited July 2013

“Second visit - worse not better”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I reviewed Compos last November and disputed a claim that they were making at the time that they "offer their visitors the best fish and chips in Yorkshire". Not "aim to" or "probably" or "possibly". Mathew responded by saying it was a matter of opinion.
Since then I have given three chippies in Yorkshire and N Lincs an excellent rating on TripAdvisor and visited countless others who are not on here or who just have a takeaway.As I had read positive reviews of Compos since and i was in the area I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.
The Jumbo cod was a decent size as one would expect for the price (£6.05 for a takeaway including the chips) and the chips were Ok. The batter was dark (overcooked in my opinion - please check the photo) and unpleasant and left me with a queasy feeling for the rest of the day. And compared to other chippies in Yorkshire the fish was pretty bland - in my opinion, of course.

I won't be back for a third time.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank DVETheK
Huddersfield
“Great Fish and Chips”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Consistently good quality, and excellent value for money. Best fish and chips in the area. I've lost count of the number of times I've been, and I know that many people go there every week.

Visited May 2013
Hyde, United Kingdom
“last of the summer wine tour”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

When visiting Compo's take away and family restaurant, it is a must that either before dinning or after that you venture down into Holmfirth, seek out sid's café where you can find Colin and he will oblige in taking you on a tour of where the filming of the series was located, it is a very rewarding journey around out lying area, there is also a dvd of the tour well worth it's money.Please don't miss the chance to savour the sites.

• Visited May 2013
Le Tatre, France
“Average - it was ok!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was in Holmfirth for almost the first time in my life - a local recommended this place to me.

There is a sign by the door asking you to wait to be shown to a table. The waiters were, clearly, stretched and busy, and managed to avoid my eye contact. I stood there for 10 minutes before one of them came over to attend to me. Actually they came over to attend to two other people who had come in and who they knew - and who pointed out that I was in the queue before them. In truth I was just about to leave! Not a good start!

So, eventually shown to a table, There was a good menu commensurate with the type of establishment (a Fish & chip shop with an attached 'sit-down') I ordered a jumbo cod and chips. The fish was well cooked but the batter was really a bit greasy. Chips were over-cooked and served on the side. However the fish was fresh, beautifully white and a decent sized piece. The rest of the clientele seemed to be enjoying their meals - I noted that, at 61, I looked the youngest person in the place - the 'Pensioners Special' seemed to be going down very well! (I've often wondered what a pensioner tastes like!!!)

I would go back - but only because it made a change to sit and eat at a table rather to to eat fish and chips from the newspaper and have the car smelling of them for days! - but I have tasted better fish & chips - I've also tasted an awful lot worse!!

• Visited May 2013