“Good quality food at reasonable prices!”

Compo's Take Away and Family Restaurant
Ranked #41 of 78 Restaurants in Holmfirth
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast Food, British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good quality food at reasonable prices!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Happened to stumble across this little gem whilst driving through Holmfirth, me and my girlfriend stopped off for a quick bite to eat on our way home and were happy we did, excellent service, delicious food all for a reasonable price. Wouldn't hesitate to call in again next time I'm in the area.

“Excellent grub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Tastiest fish n chips I've had for a while- will definitely go back there when I'm next in that area.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Typical, traditional, English fish & chip shop. Highly recomended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I called here for a fish and chip supper after a day out with my family. Service with a smile dispite been obviously rushed off their feet. Excellent food, good size fish and not all batter like in some chip shops. Nice clean family run chip shop with the option of dining in their resturant. Would definitely recomended.

1 Thank AJG028
Alcorcon, Spain
“One of the Best British Mainland Chippy Restaurants Around!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I'm a 33 year male living in Spain. I was born in Manchester, UK and grew up in Ossett, West Yorkshire. It is true, Spain has fine quality food and great resturants but the only thing missing where I'm living in Madrid at the moment is a good family chippy restaurant. Whenever I get the opportunity to take my Spanish wife and child to visit my friends and family in England I am always torn between visiting Manchester or Yorkshire. Manchester because the majority of my family live there and I get to see the odd football game at Old Trafford. And then there's Yorkshire because it is the place where I am able to find old friends and indeed, "Compo's" one the best fish and Chip restaurants around (even if it is a trek to Holmfirth!) Indeed, we all have our favourites but when you must go out of your way for something that will settle your nostalgic emptiness for English food or indeed for my Spanish wife to try this fish Fish with Chips that the Brits rave on about, then you know this place has to be special. (It's possibly one of the only things I've ever given a 5* rating online). If you are ever in summer wine country for a couple of days then this is definitely the place to find to feed your appitite after that long scenic walk and could also be a great start to any day. Not only is the fish fresh and the batter perfect but there seems to be a little extra quality ingredient added that other fish and chip restaurants including the Magpie, Whitby just can't match. It could be indeed the whole magic of drinking from a Nora Batty mug. Ironically, I just felt so British sat there with my content little Spanish family and seeing my little boy tucking into the massive kids portion of fish n chips which at first I thought he wouldn't even get halfway through, and my wife who ordered the jumbo fish so I could try the delicious homemade pie and have some of hers. The staff have been really friendly and professional on every visit although you must wait that little bit longer than your usual chippy resaurant. (used to waiting for food anyway in Spain) My Spanish life would be complete with a Compo's around the corner but I suppose you can't have the best of everything!
I only have two complaints. One, it's a little short staffed but maybe that's because of the popularity, it is always packed! And secondly, why isn't there one in Madrid!! I think it's time to bring Compo overseas!!
Definitely the best chippy in the Northern mainland.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank PeteBez80
“Yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Never been let down with their food. Best in holmfirth by far. Fish, chips and gravy mmmm :)
Fully recommend going