“A young winery, but an enjoyable experience”
Review of Holmfirth Vineyard

Holmfirth Vineyard
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I received a Living Social voucher for Holmfirth Vineyward's breakfast tour and judging from what some people said about the afternoon tea tour, I think we definitely got the better deal!

It was a little tricky to get to (we were in Leeds with no car, so a costly taxi trip or taxi/train/taxi trip was in order) -- however, the website did give good directions and our taxi driver was happy to take us out there.

We went on a cold January day and were pleasantly surprised that our tour consisted of 8 people in total -- enough for a good group, not so many that you felt it was a zoo. We started with breakfast - initially a glass of Buck's fizz (very good, not too sweet) and a hot breakfast - eggs benedict for us - with tea or coffee (my friend doesn't drink hot drinks and managed to get another glass of Buck's fizz which was nice!). The breakfast was delicious. The restaurant is done in a modern style which suits the building. The large glass windows allow people to take in the gorgeous views of the surrounds.

Matt, our tour guide, took us outside - it was a bit chilly but not windy thankfully! He took us around some of the vineyard and gave a good history of the place and answered all of our questions. We then had the tasting which consisted of 3 wines. One of the wines was a tasting from the vat and it wasn't ready yet, but it was interesting to taste it in order to see how wines matured. We also tasted the Rose for men (I quite liked it because it was different, but my friend didn't like it - possibly for the same reason!) and the sparkling white (again, I liked it as it was very dry but my friend didn't). Unfortunately due to a bad season, there wasn't any red to try which was disappointing but cannot be helped.

It would have been nice to try another wine, but it is understandable that a small, young winery will not have the available stock that you would expect with larger, more mature wineries.

All in all, I really enjoyed the day and would consider coming back again once it is more established.

1  Thank travelbeebuzz
in 12 reviews
"main course"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We went using a living social voucher on 22/11/2012 and had much the same experience as Joanne w on 24/11/12 and The Yorkshire Princess on 20/11/2012.
I agree that nothing can be done about the inclement weather but after being given the stale sandwiches and cakes and a huge pot of tea with one tea bag in it [oh yes forgot we were in Yorkshire] on arrival at 2 o’clock we were left to wonder what happened next for 35 minutes without explanation. The tour /talk WAS interesting but the content was stretched out.
We also tasted the "Rose for men" that Richard P paid £14.99 for. If I had been served this in a remote Greek Taverna 20years ago I would have added lemonade or sent it back. I agree with Richard that I've never quite tasted anything like it before but certainly wouldn’t want to again. Think I will restrict vineyard visits in the UK to Kent, Suffolk and Gloucester in future.
However if you are in the Holmfirth area and like beer I would recommend a visit to The Nook [Rose and Crown] an old fashioned pub that brews its own beer in the centre of town

3  Thank SteveBury
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Great food and good views. Nice place for lunch. Still never been round the Vines as yet. Only a short drive from Holmfirth centre.

3  Thank C H
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I visited Holmfirth Vineyard on the 2nd December as part of a coach party of about 25 visiting the vineyard for a tour and for afternoon tea (I've written a separate review in the restaurant section). After booking the visit (as part of the Civil Service Sports and Social Club) I thought that I'd look it up on tripadvisor. I have to say that I was a bit worried by the some of the reviews BUT it was too late to cancel. In fact after having a look around and having had the tour I began to wonder whether I'd been to the same place as some of the other reviewers.

It is a really scenic trip from Sheffileld round some very sharp bends. The first (and only real problem) is that there is no signage to the vineyard from the main road. Our coach driver didn't know the way and we were forced to phone for directions. As other reviewers have commented there is only a small car park BUT they managed to fit in our 52 seater coach. There is a fairly steep path from the car park to the visitor centre which could be interesting if it was it was icy or wet - it wasn't so not a problem.

The vineyard is quite small - 7 acres of vines with a fairly new, and in an excellent state of repair, purpose built cafe and winery. We arrived at 3pm for a vineyard tour followed by a wine tasting and talk about wine making. I have to say that it was a bit chilly but otherwise a gorgeous day. We stood outside and had an entertaining talk from the guide and then moved into the winery for the talk about wine and tasting. After that was a ramble round the vineyard.

The young guide, Mark was witty and well informed. He cheerfully answered questions an gave us a lot information about the "history" (well it only started producing wine in 2010) and talked us through a couple of their wines. I've been on other vineyard tours before and they always try the hard sell on their wines - here that didn't happen. There was wine (admittedly a very limited range) to buy but no hard sell, I have to say that I thought that there sparking at £29.99 was seriously over priced - OK it's a boutique wine with limited availability but not worth £30. The Red that I did buy was £14.99 a bottle - which sounds expensive BUT I've never quite tasted anything like it before - they market it as a "Rose for men" - a rose grape but with a very deep red colour - really lovely.

The vineyard has excetional views although at this time of the year there is no fruit just bare vines - but what do you expect visiting a vineyard in Yorkshire in December BUT the staff are pleasant, helpful and friendly and make it a really enjoyable experience.

I'm going to go back when there is some fruit on the vines. Well worth a visit

3  Thank Richard P