“Reliably good food”

Ranked #14 of 85 Restaurants in Holmfirth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Traditional British country pub just outside of Holmfirth serving a modern British menu from local suppliers. Carvery and bar menus served in a traditional country setting. A la'carte private dining available in the restaurant.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I went to the Foxhouse recently (8 Sept) and have been numerous times over the years. I have always enjoyed the food there and am pleased it is so popular, especially at at weekends.
Recently we went on a Sunday and the place was packed; partly because hardly anywhere else in the area serves food on a Sunday evening.
I had the carvery which was very nice and extremely filling as ever. Two of our party of five had meals off the main menu and, although one has to guess as to when kitchen-prepared meals will appear before heading up to the carvery, the pies arrived within 15 minutes or so and we could all eat together.
The food is good honest pub food. It doesn't pretend to be a gastro-pub or gourmet gastronomic experience and that's the way it should stay in my opinion. (There is a restaurant area which I have never been in and am not sure whether it offers a separate menu.)

Check it out!

1  Thank TomTom1708

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Came for a saturday night meal for my father in laws birthday and had a lovely evening. The sirloin steak I ordered was cooked perfectly as was the rest of the meal. Pudding was gorgeous too. Will definatley be returning.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had our Silver Wedding Anniversary there last night. There were 18 of us and everyone said how much they enjoyed the food. It was well presented and cooked to perfection. The price was good overall too. Can't say that there was anything to fault. Thanks for a great night!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I live 20+ miles from the Fox House and I still take the trip to dine here. The food is out of this world wether your going for the early bird, the bar menu or eating in the restaurant. The service is excellent, all the staff are friendly, informative and add to the venue. The chef needs a pay rise in my opinion as I have never had a bad meal here. The early bird menu offers smaller portions but then you can indulge in more courses. The bar menu and restaurant portions are large and fantastic value for money. I have never had the carvery available on a Sunday but family members have and enjoyed it thoroughly. It beats the likes of Toby carvery hands down. The pub can get very busy but there is plenty of parking and lots of seating inside.

Go to the fox house even if its out of your way as you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had the meat & potato pie, no fat on the meat very tender, nice pastry too, vegetables cooked just right for my liking. Maybe a little too large a portion but tasty. Staff very good and the atmosphere very pleasant, will come back on a regular basis.

2  Thank Ian R