“Brussel Sprouts!”

Ranked #11 of 85 Restaurants in Holmfirth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Traditional British country pub just outside of Holmfirth serving a modern British menu from local suppliers. Carvery and bar menus served in a traditional country setting. A la'carte private dining available in the restaurant.
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Both sides of my family visit the Fox house every week. They enjoy it so much that both my Mum's side and my Dad's side chose to go here for Christmas Day for the 2nd year running. As per usual the food was gorgeous. We chose to eat in the second sitting and even though the staff had already served one load of people, they were still welcoming and as helpful for our sitting. As per usual, the amount of food on our plates were crazy - but you can't complain that you're not getting enough for your money! The courses were perfectly timed and the staff were superb! My only negative comment is the quality of the steak. I had it last year as i wanted something different to turkey, but unfortunately the steak was tough. My granddad had it this year and i was sorry to hear that it was still no better. But there was that much veg and turkey to go around that we didn't really mind! We even had a little entertainment as some woman was complaining to the young lad serving about not getting any brussel sprouts! For Christ sake just ask for them! There's always one trying to get something! She could of had ours seen as we had a pan full left! Overall we had a wonderful experience and no doubt we will be back again next Christmas and every Sunday leading up to it!

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Me, my partner, family and friends eat here often - both for carvery and meals from the bar menu. The food is all home cooked and is good value for money. There's always plenty on your plate and the staff are always helpful and welcoming. A woman complained earlier on that she wasn't told mash would be coming out but if she wanted it then why not ask? I've been when they haven't been serving mash and since I love it, I asked for it and they made some for me immediately. The place is also very clean. I would highly recommend to anyone but one word of warning; if you're going for a carvery on a Sunday, get there early as it gets chocca!

Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Just had another excellent evening at the Foxhouse the pub was very busy but we didn't have long to wait for our food which was up to its usual jig standard. As usual the staff were friendly and attentive and we all enjoyed our Christmas Eve...... One small disapointment however, no de caff coffee? Would be nice to finish my meal with a coffee next time plz

Reviewed December 23, 2012

You will be impressed on arrival at The Fox House by the choices you have where to eat and drink either in the very large bar area with alcoves,annexes and cosy corners or in the classic restaurant at the rear where you will soon be made welcome.When you have a first look at the menus you will realize that this is a quality restaurant the menu being the shop window gives you a wide choice of dishes guaranteed to make you change your mind and make a few selections before the final one. Which is no surprise as the person who crafted the menu is the proprietor who has a lifetime of experience in the food industry and perhaps the person who will cook your meal as he is the head chef. On arrival you will see the artistry of their presentation of your chosen dish will look too good to eat they use large plates and dishes not like some places who use small ones to make the helping loof larger than it is, no such tricks here. The main courses are all large helpings served with fresh vegetables and are again well presented. After which their dessert menu is shear joy if you can find room after eating two courses previously, which is what happened to four of us who ate there a few days ago when we were asked to choose from the desserts and the placed it in four food containers to take out.We had eaten from the xmas festive menu which comprised of four courses which was a superb feast and cost less than £13 per head.
There is no doubt that this is an excellent eating place with high quality food friendly service well run team of dedicated and enthusiastic people who believe in quality and value for money . Their company moto is Food is what we serve friends are what we make.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I can't praise the staff highly enough - they looked after my elderly parents so well and with such good humour. The food last night was wonderful and my burger has to be the best bargain ever....and it was scrumptious. Trying to decide on which beer to have is always a dilemma but easily solved by Damion offering a taster of 'Nervous Turkey' which was delightful though I only had a sip of husband's first pint> Trying to decide what to eat is another dilemma as there's so much choice...........the cheesy garlic mushrooms starter special was amazing but had to be shared. It's so nice to know that you won't be disappointed - It's so reliable.