“It just keeps getting better”
Review of The Huntsman Inn

The Huntsman Inn
Ranked #4 of 12 Holmfirth B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is the third time my wife and I have visited the Huntsman, twice on their Booze and Snooze and once for Christmas lunch. We have visited by ourselves, with friends and with family. It never fails. Food grear, accommodation great, prices incredible and best of all the staff

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and all have excellent views
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ian H
There are newer reviews for The Huntsman Inn

Reviewed June 17, 2012

This place is great, the location and views you see from it take some beating. The food is excellent, take a look at the Snooze & Booze offer as the chance to have a small drink, a huge meal which is of the highest quality and then take in a full breakfast for a small price is hard to refuse.

The people are really nice and make you feel welcome and the rooms are well appointed.

This is a must see experience for a short weekend break or overnight stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Paul K, General Manager at The Huntsman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Hi Gooleymalc

glad you had a great time - hope to see you again soon

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I would just like to say a huge thank you to the Huntsman and their fantastic staff for making my Birthday so memorable. My partner had booked a surprise "Dine & Duvet," evening at the Huntsman for my birthday, this included champagne,strawberries and lovely little soap gift set in our room. A three course evening meal "anything from the menu, what a fantastic menu it was," a bottle of wine, overnight stay, breakfast in bed if requested, although we went down for breakfast and a newspaper of your choice which was waiting outside our bedroom door in the morning. Oh and if all that wasn't enough we could also check in at 1pm and we didn't have to check out until 12noon which i found was perfect so we didn't feel rushed. We were greeted at check in, given our room key, asked what time we would like to dine? Did we require breakfast in bed? What newspaper would we like, i felt so spoilt. We then went up to our room which was very clean, presentable and had fantastic views of the countryside. There were two areas downstairs a bar area and a restaurant area both were very cosy and welcoming. There is a bar menu and a seperate restaurant menu "a la carte," both quite different as you would expect. We choose to dine in the restaurant as we liked the look of the menu. My partner must have mentioned to the staff that it was my birthday because our table had been decorated with balloons which i felt was a lovely touch. The food was faultless, I had wood pigeon to start followed by a juicy ribeye cooked to perfection. I was unfortunately too full for dessert but i did have a cheekie taste of my partners profiteroles served in a home made brandy snap basket with red spun sugar on the top. It looked that good we didn't know whether to eat it or take a picture of it. Breakfast was also faultless with an endless choice from pastries to full english, cereals, grape fruit. toast, yogurts the list was endless even smoked salmon or kippers if you fancied.Overall my visit to the Huntsman was perfect, no Basil Fawlty's here and i cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rose104

Rose

glad you enjoyed your visit so much, hope to see you again soon

Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

The booze and snooze offer is absolutely unbeatable value for money. The pub, food, wine all very good! Not the poshest of places but wasn't going for posh, was going to relax and enjoy the atmosphere which certainly did with live music and a bottle of red we had a great booze n snooze!!
Shall definitely return in the very near future, thank you huntsman! X

• Stayed: July 2011

Debella

Thanks for your review, really great to hear you had a good stay.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Fabulous hotel, 10 minutes max drive from the town, but right in amongst the sheep filled fields and windswept moors. Would be a bit remote if you were on foot from station in town, taxi definately required, but local taxis very cheap. This was seriously the first inhabited building we had seen on a very windy, deserted country road. A wonderful, toasty reception area and pub bar with traditional, hearty food on offer. The room was very generously sized with an amazing view of the sheep, if you can brave the breeze to open the window, sheep calling their lambs was all we could hear, quite comforting. Huge well appointed bathroom with bath and great shower and sweet little gift basket of soap. Tea and coffee in very cosy room once we had cranked up the radiator. Only possible complaint is we struggled to lock the door and the water pipes made some odd noised throughout the night. All manner of breakfast stuff available and bar very popular, but not overcrowded from early lunch onwards. Very enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Ask for one with views of the sheep fields, but possibly they all have
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linda T

Hi Linda

thanks for your review, will pass on your fabulous comments to the rest of my team

Reviewed May 31, 2012

My fault completely. I should have read the reviews and stayed well clear of the Huntsman Inn.
The rooms were ok, clean and comfortable but in need of an update and new linen wouldn't go amiss. This was the good part of the hotel.
The restaurant was run by Basil Fawlty, Sorry Basil you were a little better.
Previous reviews stated they had to wait for 30 mins, well we beat that easy. I ordered bread and olives at 7pm and they arrived at 7.55pm How long does it take to cut some bread.
No sorry either. Next dinner arrived at 8.35pm. The fish had been standing so long under the heat lamps that it was hard and not very tasty.
We finished at 9pm and couldn't wait to get out of there.
Please Please Please take note of this and other reviews and save your money.
At no time did the staff offer a reason or an apology.
Well off to my next stop, just hope this one is a lot better.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gary T
Paul K, General Manager at The Huntsman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2012

Hi

Thanks for your feedback.

I am sorry we didnt meet your expectations on this occassion.
I have identified the person who served you and he doesn't remember any complaint being received on the night, which if made could have been addreesed. That aside I have taken the opportinity to remind all my team about the importance of service and quality
I can see you refer to bad reviews, but I am sure all trip advisor customers can also see the great reviews we have had and continue to have.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Me and my partner have had many a stay up at the huntsman, usually for the Booze and Snooze deals - which include a 3 course meal, bottle of wine and bed and breakfast for usually under £100 for two people.
The food is delicious, we have never had a meal that hasn't been to good/excellent standards. The portions are huge- and you'd be doing well to finish a three course meal! (I have to sit the dessert out).
The staff are friendly and attentive to your need, however, in times of business you have to have patience! As it looks like they are not only serving the restaraunt food, but the bar snacks as well.

As well as the restaraunt, there is a bar- for somewhere to relax after your evening meal- or to have a cheaper meal.

The rooms are lovely, in a rustic setting; sort of a wooden beams and spot lights setting.
There is little areas of improvement; i've found mouldy sealant around the bath tubs. But its nothing that would stop me going there again!! Theres baths and showers in everyroom, with shower gel/ shampoo on the wall.
Theres also televisions on the walls with freeview. And the rooms also come with tea/ coffee making facilities and a selection of tea/coffee and hot chocolate, plus a couple of biscuits!

If you are staying the night, there isnt much to do unless you want to drive 5 minutes into the nearest town (Holmfirth). But with the bar and the rooms and tv - there isn't a huge need to go venturing out! (We usually take a laptop and watch dvds)

In the morning the cooked breakfasts are huge!! And for the more fussy people (i.e. my partner) they're very accomodating to let him have more bacon/ sausages instead of tomatoes/ mushrooms on his breakfast! You also get fruits/ cereals/ toast/ yogurts to choose from, plus a selection of cold drinks- orange/ water/ cranberry juice.

We would most definately recommend the huntsman for a relatively cheap, romantic night away :)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Hi

Thanks for your wonderful feedback which I will pass onto the whole team.

I hope to see you at The Huntsman again soon

Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holmfirth
Old Bridge Inn
#5 of 12 in Holmfirth
Coddy's Farm
Coddy's Farm
#1 of 12 in Holmfirth

Been to The Huntsman Inn? Share your experiences!