“Good service and nice food”
Review of Raaj of India

Raaj of India
Ranked #39 of 85 Restaurants in Holmfirth
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2013

One of the best Asian restaurants in Holmfirth (of which there are many) Food is very good with generous portions and the staff are keen to please.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We ate here on a Friday night, after reading some good reviews on trip advisor we decided to give it a try for a change. The surroundings were nice although it was fairly quiet for a Friday night. Complementary popadoms and pickle tray were very nice but it went downhill from here. The service was very slow especially as it was quiet, it took ages to take our order and we had to wait 10 minutes for our drinks to come (2 pints of draught cobra, unfortunately smelt like pipe cleaner).
The starter arrived, a mixed vegetarian platter for 2 and it didn't look good, not freshly made, more like supermarket stuff. When the main course came later, the waiter didn't know which was which as we both ordered something different and they did look very similar so he decided to sniff them both (his nose was practically in the food!) very off putting. The curries we chose were below average and certainly no where near as nice as we are used to getting at other local indian restaurants. Overall it was poor, we won't be coming back.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very quick service, great tasting food and really friendly waiters. Visited on a saturday evening at around 6ish so the resturant was pretty empty, my girlfriend is a vegetarian was pleased with her choice.
Recommended if staying in Holmfirth

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We went to The Raaj of India with my parents on Easter Sunday and the meal was absolutely spot on. The staff were very friendly and there was a great atmosphere. Have been here a number of times before and always have a great time.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Raj Restaurant is quite excellent. The staff are helpful and friendly and the chefs in the kitchen outstanding. I go in about once a week, have pretty well stopped going to Rusholme in Manchester for my curry "fixes" and appreciate the dialogue I can have with the kitchens. Having travelled through the sub-continent a number of times. I appreciate the chefs making me dishes that are not on their menu (which, however, is well worth exploring) that I have enjoyed on my journeys: a hugely authentic Tarka Dall Gosht to give one example. If I ring to give them overnight notice, they will buy "Indian" vegetables such as Karela (not to everyones taste but addictive if you persevere) Kochu and Doodi to cook dishes to order. They will also buy in Shatkora (bitter orange) to produce an authentic Sylheti experience, in, say, a Shatkora Gosht. However, as rice and fish make a Bengali, I suggest one of their excellent fish dishes. As it happens, I have a house in a remote part of Scotland and when I travel up I pack my car with twelve or more "curries" for my neighbours. I think you generally get the idea that I like the Raj!