“Whatever would Nora Batty have thought ?”

The Old Bridge Hotel
Ranked #24 of 79 Restaurants in Holmfirth
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
shropshire
“Whatever would Nora Batty have thought ?”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I took a couple of customers to the Old Bridge for lunch on the recommendation of another customer (Thanks Geoff)

Traffic in this little place can be quite heavy and to be honest after missing the entrance to the carpark twice in the one-way system I gave up and parked at the Co-op.

Outside it looks like the solid old building that it is ... but inside is a real surprsie ... very swanky and contemporary indeed.

There is a lot of seating available outside and on the beautiful day we went, the place was heaving.

Excellent selection of hot and cold food all nicely cooked / presented.

My only gripe would be that the staff seemed to be a little overwhelmed by the number of customers which resulted in quite a wait (45 mins) for our 3 x hot sandwiches and having to sit looking at the previous diners plates until our food arrived ... but as I say, the weather was glorious and every man and his dog appeared to want to visit the village where "Last of the Summer Wine" was filmed ... and eat at the same place we did !

Overall very good indeed. Pity it's so far away from me in the Midlands because I'd love to take the wife and kids there for an evening meal.

• Visited July 2014
BulldogHotelGroup, Manager at The Old Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Since our refurbishment, we have become extremely busy with a surge of new customers. I can only apologise that the previous guests plates had not been cleared from your table on this occasion..

Holmfirth, England, United Kingdom
“I couldn't have microwaved it better myself”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

I have to say that that I have not been to the Old Bridge since it had refurbished and it is so much better. The outside seating area is pleasant as were the staff.
I had been working late so I decided to eat. I had seen some feedback about the food but thought it can't be that bad. I did, however, opt for what I thought was a safe option, lasagne. It turned up and was presented quite well with garlic bread and a small amount of salad. The lasagne was hot but that is the only positive things I can say about it. Dry, bland and quite tasteless. I honestly believe this was a mass produced budget meal that was microwaved and then knocked out for £10. I will not be eating there again. There a lot of eateries in Holmfirth that offer good value food that tastes of something and owners who care about the food served to their customers.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Simon S
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Great location”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

First, the location is perfect, probably the best of all 58 restaurants in Holmfirth. Large patio looking onto the town centre, by the water. The food is well presented. But it’s not spectacular food. It’s not bad, at all, but for the prices they are charging, I expected better. When I saw the mixed grill for £19, I knew I wasn’t in Kansas anymore. In fact, it was hard to believe I was in Yorkshire. I ordered the Double Dog Burger. It turned out to be a hot dog with trimmings and chips, see photo. It was £11. What? These are the kind of prices that eateries charge at Heathrow, because those places know you don’t have many options to choose from. But there are 58 restaurants in Holmfirth, according to TripAdvisor, and this has to be up there on prices. That aside, it’s a good place to eat, especially on the patio on a sunny lunchtime or afternoon, underneath a sunshade.

1 Thank Jeff P
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Tour De France Visit”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We went to the restaurant on 05/07/14, being in Holmfirth for Le Tour.Many places were only offering burgers etc because of the increase in people in the area.
Surprised the restaurant was open, and providing a full menu and can only comment the food was excellent, staff friendly, despite the crowds and operating an outside eating/bar area with baguettes etc.
Excellent meal at a reasonable price.
Would like to go back without the crowds!!

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to sit outside”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Fab' hotel with lovely outside seating and they do brunch, lunch, dinner, coffee and cakes, drinks infact food and drinks all day which is great and all very good

Visited July 2014