“You get what you pay for”

Kings Arms and Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed one night, we originally booked a premier inn at £100 with no breakfast - the Kings Arms was £74 including breakfast. The website is nothing like the hotel, our room was small with a torn bed throw over the bed, grubby carpet, nice large shower even though the sealant was black. They should make it more clear parking at the Hotel is very limited. Also please tidy the reception area - out of date tourist information and as for the supermarket carrier bags piled high in the reception office......

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fussyaboutfoodme2
Andy P, General Manager at Kings Arms and Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

I would like to offer my unreserved apologies for the difficulties you encountered during your visit to us, however I am confident that we have now done our utmost to resolve these and reach a resolution in any way that we can.

However if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly via the TripAdvisor messaging facility.

Warm Regards

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed in a mediocre room on the lousier side (left, going up the stairway). The nondescript piece of furniture, whatever it was, with chicken wire where glass might be, was a nice touch. WIFI weak on that side of the hotel. Breakfast good, pub was also good.

Room Tip: Get a room on the "good" side. Pub is below on the left side, may be advisable to avoid t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Electroburger

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Kings Arms.

Warm Regards

Reviewed December 25, 2013

This place seems to be getting progressively worse every time I visit. I can't comment on the quality of the accommodation, although if the food is anything to go by, give it a miss.
The lad serving behind the bar was friendly and on the ball, but that's where the niceties ended. I thought I'd chance it with a beef roast, which with a pint of Foster's came to just over ten pounds. I live in London and would pay roughly twice that for the same meal, so make of that what you will about the quality vs price. What arrived was a tiny portion with tired, wilted veg, poor quality meat and a watery, lukewarm gravy (served with sprouts, I mean who the hell eats sprouts these days??). I briefly contemplated sending it back ut couldn't see the point if the replacement was likely to have been of the same dreadful standard.
It's a real shame because there was over a million pounds invested in this building a few years ago, yet the place just seems tired and burdensome, the managers seem to change at roughly the same rate I change my underpants, which may have a lot to do with it.
It was cold in the bar as well. Avoid.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank AM1983-0503
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I chose the Relaxinnz Kings Arms And Royal in Godalming primarily because of its location and didn't spend much time checking any reviews. The Hotel is on the main street in Godalming and is now looking a little tired - It looks a little like a haunted house inside! (see my photos!). My room was relatively small with one single bed and an ensuite shower/toilet. Everything was clean although the hotel does have an old "musty" smell about it.

My room had secondary double glazing but the outside sash window was half open so was a little noisy. I thought I'd pop down to the bar at 10:45pm to mention this and grab a nightcap but the reception desk and bar was closed with all the lights off!

Breakfast was fine and the service OK. Not the greatest hotel I've ever stayed in by any means but an OK hotel at an OK price.

Would I recommend it? Probably not, I'm sure there are better!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Roy M
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here on Business in October. Hotel Decor is dated but i think it adds to its charm. I stayed in room 3 which was a nice size room with wooden beams and an ok size en suite. The problem with the room was the Boiler coming on @ 5am ( i have never stayed in a Hotel where there is a Boiler in the cupboard ). The service from the young man behind the bar was very good and Breakfast was also good although some fresh fruit would be a good idea.
I would probably stay here again as it is in good location but would check room first.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TheWallys
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very convenient in the middle of town, with a car park. It's an old building, so rooms and floors are different sizes and shapes. I have stayed here twice, in different rooms. Clean and tidy, but furniture dated. Comfortable beds. Good breakfast and friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Good value for money. Nice little town only 40 mins from London. Hiking, biking and boating, all in the beautiful English countryside. Food was better than average pub food. Great place to stay if you don't want the cost and craziness of London.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Godalming Hotel
Barnett Hill Hotel
Barnett Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wonersh
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa

Been to Kings Arms and Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!