“Character Building / Average”
Review of The Star

The Star
Ranked #19 of 74 Restaurants in Godalming
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Good for: Bar scene
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Character Building / Average”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Lovely building and a character street, although the food was found to be very average.
The however varies greatly from good to just about undrinkable with flat lifeless ales being almost its trademark and these appear to continue to be served even after customers have complained about the quality. That said the ciders were good with a reasonable range and all in far better condition than the ales fortunately.

1 Thank CharlesT924
Khart54, Owner at The Star, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Hello CharlesT924. As we have been put onto Trip Advisor by a customer who likes our offer we are obviously now open to both good and bad reviews which are purely subjective to the individuals making them. So with reference to your comment about very average food, I will just comment that we offer a small menu of typical home cooked pub food, to order. We do not seek to be a Gastro pub if that was what you were looking for, and do not attempt to compete with the cheap outlets in town. Our prices are relevant to our overheads, and as the menus are available to view without the need to place an order, one can always progress to another venue should our selection not suit your individual taste. I am pleased to say that we have a substantial number of return customers week in and week out who like what we have to offer. With reference to your comment about Flat Lifeless Ales. You have me guessing on this one, as all your Godalming reviews were posted on the same day. I will therefore hazard a guess that you may have visited on a day recently when our Cellar cooler broke down ! My general comment on this is several fold.
Firstly, as we sell so many different and varied Ales my staff are obliged to offer Tasters, so that you the Customer do not buy a product that doesn't suit your palate, this also highlights the fact, that unlike Wetherspoon for example we do not sell unnecessarily cold Ale with no flavour. If you do not like your taster you are not obliged to buy.
Secondly, if you came on a breakdown day some of our regulars did comment on the temperatures but still wanted to drink our Ale because despite the problem our product was still better than elsewhere. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the repair company when it comes to fixing the problem and are still obliged to trade. Again the choice is the customer's as to whether they wish to partake in one product rather than another. If there is a reasonable problem my staff are obliged to resolve that problem in a swift and suitable manner.
Thirdly, if you came on a normal day to drink Ale you should have been offered a taster of any of the Ales that you proposed to drink. You would then have been offered one of a potential range of 8 Ales, 4 from the handpump and 4 direct from the cellar. The 4 from the handpump are dispensed slightly livelier than those direct from the barrel. We do not sell fizzy beer. We do not use sparklers on our Ales as we sell them so quickly, and naturally. Many pubs use sparklers to liven up their Ales because they do not sell them quickly enough, or if you come from The Midlands and further North a sparkler is used to satisfy cultural differences.
Thirdly. Having traded at The Star for the last 23 years, at above average levels I am disappointed that your expectations were not achieved. I have great expectations of my staff and to that end would be obliged to know the date and time of your visit so that I can talk to the staff involved, to ascertain what, if anything, can be improved upon within our system.
It is obviously better to register a complaint/ dissatisfaction at the time.
Thank you.

Guildford, United Kingdom
“V. nice atmosphere but a but pricey!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Nice pub and staff

The "back room" could do with a bit of work!

Expensive prices, especially for a fizzy soft drink

Good chips!

1 Thank Mr G
Khart54, Owner at The Star, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Hello Mr.G.
I am pleased you enjoyed your chips.
As a Tied Brewery pub our wholesale prices are sadly, at a criminally high level and we are not allowed to buy from elsewhere!
If you the customer did not pay these prices we would go bust!
Does our Brewer care ? Certainly not.
However, we care, and try to offer the best service and best choice of product we can, to keep you guys coming in
Thank you for your visit.
london
“old fashioned town pub”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Great atmosphere, with lots of groups enjoying their cider ( best in surrey) and beer. Cozy environment, not destroyed by being 'gastro'

1 Thank balibob
Woking, United Kingdom
“Small yet very competitive pub”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Despite being small in square footage, this pub is clearly owned/managed by some very ambitious people indeed.

There are numerous ales and ciders available on tap, even though they don't have enough taps! It's quite impressive and clearly popular.

The clever use of dubiously titled books to act as indicators that you've ordered food is a nod to a cheeky sense of humour behind the scenes perhaps.

Usually I just order nachos while waiting for the next train and these are of a good standard and unlike O'Neills in Woking, the staff actually advise you if any of the ingredients are missing prior to you ordering or accepting the dish.

If I lived in Godalming, this would be high up on the list to be my local. The owners/managers are clearly trying hard. If you're in the area, do give it a try. I recommend and will undoubtedly return.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ConsumerBloke
Khart54, Owner at The Star, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you Consumerbloke. We try to offer the best choice of both Ales, and Ciders in our very small Pub and have never let " not having enough Hand pumps " get in the way. The books are definately for fun and entice customers back to finish the read. We are here to have fun and hopefully offer the best food drink and service in our traditional pub.
Liphook, United Kingdom
“My Local...The Legend”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is now my local. And I think it is the best decision I have made with regards to loyalty to a drinking hole. It has everything you need - great food, great beer/wine, really helpful and knowledgeable staff and they often do themed nights that are a really good night out.

They may not be the cheapest around but once you are in there, the atmosphere whisks you away and boom, you are having a great night. It is always busy so get there early on a post work Friday drink in order to bag a table. And try the menu, proper pub grub with great portion sizes and care and effort put into each dish!

See you tonight guys!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Weeza S
Khart54, Owner at The Star, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you Weeza S.
My staff and I make every effort to offer the best service, beer/ wines and food that we can in our small traditional pub.
Our Hallowe'en theme night linked into our Scottish Ale Festival.
We are not the cheapest in town, as we have an expensive Landlord, and that is why it is vital for us to get our service and product offer right.