“Great setting, Lovely food and Charming service”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Godalming
The Stag on the River
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Maidenhead
“Great setting, Lovely food and Charming service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I recently spent a sunny afternoon at this restaurant and had a fantastic time. It had been recommended by a friend so we thought we would make the drive to Eashing. I don't usually comment on trip advisor however I felt compelled to write something small after a truly superb experience. Myself and my partner arrived at the idillic setting to a warm greeting from smiling staff. As it was sunny, we enjoyed a drink outside which was delivered by a waiter before making our way to our table. It was the kind of menu where you wish you could order everything but after we finally made our minds up we were not disappointed. The food was fantastic with perfect portion sizes- I only wish I could have tried a few more dishes! A treat of a meal and we will definitely be visiting The Stag on the River again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Henry G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Southern England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Eating at The Stag was one of Surrey's best kept secrets with its beautifully cooked and presented food and excellent service. I have been a customer for many years. Recently I was treated to a shock when visiting the restaurant. I was served bread that was covered with mould and served a meal that, whilst competently cooked, was far below the standard I have previously experienced. Add to that poor, slow service and you can understand why I shall not be dining at The Stag in future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Britishfamily888
Sam M, General Manager at The Stag on the River, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The Stag on the River. I am very pleased to hear that you have regularly dined with us before and enjoyed our food, service and atmosphere. As a regular customer you will know how seriously we take our aims of providing excellent, well prepared fresh and seasonal food, couple with attentive service. I am very, very sorry that we clearly let you down on this occasion. We take all feedback very seriously and I have responded to you directly regarding this. I very much hope you will visit The Stag again in the near future and enjoy an excellent experience as you have come to expect from us from previous visits.

Sam Mitchell
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had been struggling to find a place to stay at short notice while visiting friends in Godalming.

We booked the family room last minute and arrived the following day. I was slightly worried about whether this would be suitable for a family stop over, but didn't really have many other options.

We arrived with a 10 year old and 8 month old. We brought along our own travel cot. On arrival we were greeted and shown to our room by a very friendly member of staff.

We stayed in the Shackleford room. It was very spacious. The main bed was huge, with good quality bedding it was very comfy, our 10 year old was very impressed with the sofa bed and even with the travel cot set up, the little one had lots of room to crawl around and play on his playmat with his toys.

The room was immaculate and we were happy for him to play on the floor. This has not always been the case in other places we have stayed. The bathroom is finished to a high specification - we were very impressed.

We nipped out to buy some baby supplies from a shop and returned shortly before 7pm to enjoy a drink. Again staff were very friendly. We really wanted to sit outside in the lovely beer garden but by this time the weather had turned slightly cool. We sat indoors with our drinks but soon realised baby was ready for bed. We checked with the friendly staff who allowed us to take drinks back to our room, which was very handy so we could settle him.

The only fault I could find with our stay was noise. We could hear a lot of noise coming from downstairs in the bar area which went on until close. If we had have been travelling without the children this may not have been an issue but on this occasion we could hear music and conversation quite clearly in the room.

Overall I would definitely recommend a stay here and look forward to visiting again to hopefully enjoy the outdoor area!

• Stayed September 2013
Arundel, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited this place for the first time, meeting up with friends for lunch. The location was excellent and were able to sit outside for our light lunch. Service was very good, staff friendly and food quality above average. Here comes the niggle : I wanted a portion of chunky chips with my sandwich, which I received and they were also good. What was not good was 10 chips for £1.95. I know there is a mark up on food and a profit has to be made. But honestly £1.95 for half of a potato was taking things too far.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank teenager65
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We've just moved to the area and I had heard excellent things about the Stag. Have lunched at others in the same pub group (Duke of Cambridge and The Exchequer) and they were very good so I was expecting great things. The menu isn't quite up to the standard of the Duke of Cambridge but the location is better and outside spaces bigger. Nice spot by the river but unnervingly close to the A3 which can be heard in the garden and surrounded by new developments which take the quaint country pub edge off it. I booked it to take my parents out for my father's 85th birthday and we would have been very happy with the whole experience had it not been for the service we received. The youngish waiter was exceptionally aloof and stand-offish it - almost rude at times as if serving in a pub was beneath him and therefore so were we! He responded to queries that he hadn't heard with 'What?' and 'I dunno' and left us feeling uniquely short changed. He managed to single-handedly ruin our entire experience and I had to apologise to my parents for making such a poor choice of venue - I left thoroughly embarrassed. For the record though, I did look to other tables and it seemed they were being served by delightful people - it looks like we were very unlucky but nevertheless I cannot award better than 2/5.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Lovely garden area in summer with tasty food & good service. Nicely decorated room with comfy bed, a bit on the small side with modern bathroom & big shower. Jackie was very accommodating in posting a new bottle of perfume I had left in the room. Classy without being pretentious!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Janette M
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

The restaurant is the best feature of this picturesque riverside property. The food is great and there is a wonderful outside area for eating. Service is excellent and very professional.

Rooms are nice but mine was quite small and overlooked the beer garden so was quite noisy. Very clean and well appointed rooms.

Overall a good experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Godalming Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,818 reviews
Barnett Hill Hotel
Barnett Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wonersh

Been to The Stag on the River? Share your experiences!