“Amazing stay at The Stag. We'll be back!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Godalming
The Stag on the River
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing stay at The Stag. We'll be back!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at The Stag on the River for a weekend in March. My boyfriend and I really needed to escape the hectic London lifestyle and the stag was exactly what we had hoped for.

We received a really warm welcome from Sam who is the lovely manager of The Stag. Both Sam and all the staff we're very friendly and informative, even recommending a local walk for us to go on the next day.

Our room was extremely comfortable and beautifully decorated. It had a lovely country cosy feel about it.

We went for dinner on one of the evenings which was very pleasant. The service was fantastic and the food was very impressive and good value for money. After dinner we sat beside the log fire with our glasses of wine chatting about this and that. The perfect way to end a lovely day.

This is a great weekend getaway, a real gem. We will definitely be returning for a weekend over the summer. Looking forward to it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was recommended Godalming as a quaint retreat for our wedding anniversary which was not too far from home. So after deciding this was the location did some research on where to stay and it paid off!!!

My husband and I (in our mid 30’s) arrived at the Stag on the 4/4/13 – our 5th Wedding Anniversary, first impressions were impressive from the outside, which was bitterly cold with snow! So when we walked into the inn the open log fire was a welcome sight! We booked into the family room and WOW I am so pleased we did, the sight of the huge bed lures you to jump straight in yet the tasteful decor just finished the room off a treat..... The room was large and really comfortable with a lovely sofa bed should you want to stay with children (I would definitely recommend an adult only retreat!!) The room also had a nice size modern en-suite.

We were initially intending to eat in Godalming however after going into the bar for drinks at 5pm, the snow falling, the welcome attitudes of the hospitable staff, the open fire and flowing drinks really did tempt us to stay! That was before even seeing the delights of the menu!!
There are varied comments on Trip Advisor about the food but we were really impressed, a small menu saved too many choices however a specials board is also provided. We both ate of the main menu, my husband having the burger and fries which he was very impressed with and I had chicken wrapped in parma ham and chorizo, stuffed with ricotta cheese on a bed of risotto. Yum! Both dishes were beautifully served. We both had deserts which were mouth watering, hot fudge brownie with coconut ice cream and pecan and toffee tart with clotted cream! The waitresses were really lovely and ensured our every need was seen too. We sat and drank into the night laughing with the staff on shift.

I couldn’t wait to jump into the massive bed, it was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and had to drag myself out in the morning!!!

There were problems with the boiler earlier in the evening which did mean that the radiators in the Inn did stop working for a few hours, I am generally a cold person so did hog the fire all evening however our room did feel cold but the Inn provide guest robes which I wore and the bed was very welcoming to snuggle under the sheets!! The staff on shift were extremely apologetic and called someone out to fix it and did manage to get it working for a few hours but it did stop again in the night and being an old building with original windows it did get cold again quickly. It was totally bad luck and could have happened to anyone at anytime and just was one of those things, it just didn’t help that the mad April weather was so bitterly cold as it wouldn’t have been an issue on a summers day! As I say, the staff did everything possible to rectify the problem and you could see they were genuinely embarrassed and sorry for the inconvenience.

A superb continental breakfast is served mid week between 7-9 with a great variety of food, cereals, yoghurt and granola, pastry’s, cheese, salmon, grapes, eggs, toast, fruit etc with a selection of fresh juices and tea or coffee.....

I cannot fault the Stag on the River in the slightest, the decor is tasteful throughout and in good condition, it was spotlessly clean everywhere we went. I looked at other accommodations in Brighton for the same cost (Hotel Pelirocco and The Artists Impression)..... Well I would have been so disappointed if I had paid half of what the Stag charge!

The Inn clearly has a good reputation locally and I can see why, I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting a little break away and we have promised to return one day, preferably
in the summer so we can sit on the terrace by the river!

The nearby villages are beautiful with some really quaint shops too.... Score out of 10..... 100!!!

Room Tip: The family room any day!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa M
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Just returned from a three night stay here. Despite the bleak weather, a few hours spent by this country inn's fireside soon warmed the fingers and the tootsies ( although a nice merlot may also have helped us along )

From the moment you enter, the smell and sight of the log fire draws you into the place.
A gorgeous entrance, warmly lit with stone flooring and an absolute WOW factor bar makes you want to stay there forever. ( well, almost )

Our room was divine. Original wonky floor, beautiful decor, new bathroom, great size room and bed was all complimented by a bottle of the inn's Tea beer in the room on arrival and a large selection on teas. Fresh milk and bottled water were free to access in a room in the corridor ( GREAT added touch! )

The breakfast during the week is continental with fantastic breads and a yoghurt and granola dish that my husband is still raving about!!! At weekends, there is both continental as well as hot brekkie offered. Be warned - the hot breakfasts are HUGE!! ( note to the Stag chef - I dont think they have to be so big. When I had a starter at night in the restaurant I thought it was a tad too small a portion. Id have liked a smaller portion brekkie and more than one piece of the goats cheese ravioli ) But each to their own, and the food on the whole was fantastic, served by very warm, genuine and happy staff!!!!!

We were helped along in our pursuit of looking around the area by the very lovely Rachel. Rachel is fairly new to the Stag and seems to be a great new addition there as she could not do enough for us. Right down to locating my de-caf tea, through to sharing her insight of surrounding areas - she is a gem, and certainly in the right business as her people skills and great nature shone through.

So, all in all - a fabulous three nights spent here with very welcoming staff in a great little country inn.
We'll definately be back!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank pearly71
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Very good food, tidy and homely accommodation, friendly staff, and beautiful surroundings.
The staff all made us feel very welcome and were very attentive. The food was superb - both the evening meal and the cooked breakfast. We stayed here on an accommodation and food offer and left more than satisfied. Highly recommended. Thank you!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LadyFuschia
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was a birthday treat for me from some friends and we had a very nice, unhurried lunch. Food was good although I am a non-fish eater and the menu did have rather a lot of fish dishes so my choice was limited. Nonetheless I enjoyed a good rump steak with excellent chips and veg. House wine was enjoyable.

I do wonder about portion sizes though - other diners had burger and pasta dishes which were absolutely enormous. Now I know we don't have to eat it all, but why serve such mountains of food? No way could we even consider dessert.

Well, thats just a general observation. I will definitely visit this pub again. It was a cold day when we went but I have no doubt that in summer its lovely to sit outside on the riverbank.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We met with friends for lunch. All of us were delighted with our choice of venue. We can only praise the restaurant service, menu selection and quality of food. We could find nothing to fault. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Can't help - we just had lunch.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, England
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Had lunch in here yesterday, after having a fantastic Sunday lunch previously at one of its sister pubs (The Queens Head - reviewed), and was disappointed with the quality of the food as a whole.
The place is lovely, easy to find from the A3, set in a really pretty location and very tastefully done.
The service was excellent and, as there were no tables when we arrived, we were looked after well by the friendly hostess (manager?) being given menus and a seat in the bar area to wait.
The menu, and specials board is very comprehensive and well thought out, and its presentation is creative. I chose the Stilton and cheddar ploughmans and my friend had a posh sandwich.
What arrived was exceptionally impressive in respect of the ploughmans, served on an enormous solid wood chopping board but when it was in front of me, it was actually pretty poor in quality. I got two lumps of cheese, solid butter, four bits of bread (a bit dry) and a pile of soggy salad leaves. There was a bowl of pickle and one of piccalilli, but basically I got bread and cheese. I've had far better ploughmans, usually with a picked onion, wedges of tomato and apple and even celery.
I should have gone for the cheese and biscuits.
Disappointed, unfortunately. But as other reviews are good, I will give it another go and try a Sunday roast.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Godalming Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wonersh
Holiday Inn Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
#3 of 11 in Guildford

Been to The Stag on the River? Share your experiences!