“This is an excellent hotel in the price bracket and class of hotel”
Review of Godalming Hotel

and 1 more site!
Godalming Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We have been here for about one week leaving the day after tomorrow. I had stayed a couple of nights a few weeks ago, alone. Free off-road car parking.

Rooms:- Vary in size and some face the road and some the garden. The road is not especially busy at night and the windows are double-glazed - on my first stay I overlooked the road and on the second, the garden. Garden side is best. The double beds are a little too small for us as we are used to King Size but the bedding is high quality for an hotel and the mattresses comfortable. The bedrooms are immaculately clean and bright. Decor is spartan but functional. Free WiFi which runs at a good speed in all the rooms. Hairdryer and tea/coffee hospitality tray. The bathroom (shower only) is clean and works well.

The only food served is breakfast -- a full English is included in the room rate but there are many pubs and restaurants within three miles drive from expensive silver service to fish 'n chips (the chippy is quite good, in Godalming). The staff are happy for you borrow plates and cutlery if you want to bring a take-away back. The breakfast is freshly cooked and really very good. Much better than the buffet breakfasts you find in the more expensive hotels though I don't think they do cold cuts, cheese and there are no croissants, brioches etc. on offer or yoghurt that I could see. The coffee is fresh cafetiere and very good and the OJ is regular long-life not the horrid stuff many more expensive hotels use.

The staff are excellent and they all seem to speak perfect English. Everything is clean, fresh and nice.

During our stay there have been a large number of small businessmen (white vans), office workers, and a few private individuals. All of the guest are polite in this very small hotel where you do say 'good morning' when you enter the breakfast room. The hotel seems to be almost full most of the time - it seems to have a regular clientèle.

I would not trade my room here for one in the Premier Inn, Travel Lodge, etc. unless the others could provide the inclusive B&B deal for, say, £20 per night less -- we are paying £60 per night for two, including two breakfasts which would cost £20 anywhere else.

It is very cold in the UK at the moment and we are using the room as an office and living room during the day -- the heating goes in the early morning and does not come back on again until the early evening. It gets a little bit cold.....the rads are all thermostatic and it would make more sense for them to turn off the rads in the rooms that have been vacated rather than shut down the entire heating for the day. But the hotel is well insulated and it is not a major issue.

Because it is hard to get into this hotel (very popular) I was of half a mind to leave a terrible report :) But that wouldn't be fair or truthful!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
GuildfordMonty, Owner at Godalming Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2010

Thank you for your very positive review.

Reviewed January 17, 2010

To put the 4 out of 5 in context in our minds £60 a night B&B is pretty damned good value. For that money your alternative is an identikit chain hotel and even they would probably charge extra for a boil in a bag breakfast.

The room we had (1) was 'compact' but well appointed and clean. The bed was well dressed and comfortable, the decor was modern.

Breakfast was Good and well cooked and taken in the light airy and modern dining room. One down point here was there was a large screen TV showing MotD, now personally I don't like TV's on when I'm eating and I'd be tempted to have background music instead.

This hotels only major downpoint in our view was that the lack of carpets and soft furnishings in the public areas made it quite noisy at times. The Walls are not that thick either so if you are unlucky enough to be next to people who like their tv's on loud it might be a pain.

Overall if you want to support a local buisiness rather than feed a corporate giant then worth a stay for a couple of nights.

1  Thank LBBoz
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Our room was adequate & accomodated our large dog that we took with us.The shower door was very badly fitted & did'nt shut properly so let water out onto floor of bathroom.
Maintenance men were painting doors in passageway to our room whilst we were there,so strong smell of gloss paint & newspapers on floor which our dog slipped on & got paint on her.
Breakfast was small & cold & served on stone cold plates!When I complained the man didn't seem to understand what I was saying,although the next morning it arrived on warm plates!
All the staff were friendly although very limited in their English language which made it difficult at times to get things across.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2009

As an earlier reviewer has noted, local hotels such as this offer an adequate, usually cheaper and always more characterful alternative to the chains. Our family stayed for four nights over Christmas. The management put us in two rooms (at no extra cost) to make us more comfortable.

The bedrooms are clean and cosy, if a little dark. The bathrooms are new and spotless. The dining room is attractively furnished in a contemporary style. It's an easy walk into the town centre - ideally along the river. The staff are delightful. The breakfast is straightforward but delivered with great courtesy and punctuality. I find myself baffled when people except the Plaza Athenee in small market towns, and at prices like these. Happy to recommend the Godalming Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Good value at £60 for 2 people b & b. The location suited our needs very well but I would have been prepared to pay say another £20 or so to take it up a notch or two. ie for little touches like bottled water in the room, larger towels, extra pillows and a better quality breakfast with more choice.‎

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2009

I made the mistake of using this hotel, if you are going to book, totally against my advice, then make absolutely sure you have written confirmation of the booking.

I visited twice in person to make sure it was legitimate and the manager seemed friendly enough, so I advised guests at our wedding to stay there, as it was convenient and cheap. I came to severly regret that decision.

A few months before the wedding one of our wedding guests from overseas had phoned in to book up 7 rooms.She also gave a credit card number over the phone to confirm the booking. About a month later the owner rang her back to ask again for the credit card number which he had lost - which should have been warning enough, but we trusted that it would be ok as he had all he needed now.

A week before the wedding, I wanted to be absolutely sure the bookings were ok as the guests were from overseas, so I myself rang up to confirm all the bookings.

To my horror I found out that he had "lost" all the bookings, he claimed to have never spoken to me before (even though I visited twice), he claimed he never got a credit card for any bookings (even though we have the phone record to prove he rang up the wedding guest to get the lost credit card number), and he lied his way through the conversation. I totally lost it, as now these 10 overseas guests had nowhere stay for our wedding, all the local hotels were booked up, and this guy was just lying to me, talking absolute crap, and then they hung up.

Anyway the hotel was full, so I had to find 7 rooms for 10 people right at the last minute, plus I had to rearrange all the transport that had been booked in advance.

When two of my other guests from overseas booked independently, and when they turned up, he had cancelled their booking, because I got so angry at him. So I had to find them a place to stay as well...the story just doesn't end...

Basically they keep all their bookings in a book, which gets lost from time to time. It is quite simply the worst hotel you can possibly think of, do not stay there, ever.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank cju198
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Our experience was very positive. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our room (no. 9) was nicely decorated and comfortable - in fact I've never slept so well in a hotel.
The breakfast is very good, with excellent service from the staff.
Located just a few minutes walk from Godalming town centre, a bonus from a non-driver such as myself. Some lovely countryside nearby to walk in.
Worth the £60 a night? Certainly!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Kings Arms and Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Haslemere
Travelodge Guildford
Travelodge Guildford
#10 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Godalming Hotel? Share your experiences!