“lovely place, lovely town” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Godalming Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
BROOKLYN
“lovely place, lovely town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We rented two rooms at the Godalming Hotel recently for a family wedding in the area. It is perhaps more of a guesthouse than hotel, but we had a really good experience here. It is not fancy, but clean and comfortable, and a good value for the money. The manager, Krishna, could not do enough for us. My son bought a belt that was too big and Krishna created a new hole in the belt for him. He was always pleasant and accommodating. Breakfast was very good -- while there was no menu, the food was fresh and well prepared. It's a good location, just a short walk into the town center. And we walked down to the Godalming Boat Club one morning and rented a rowboat to take out on the River Wey. Overall, a delightful place and we would go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank William L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Godalming Hotel for 2 nights on the 26th and 27th of July, as we were attending a wedding in the area.

Upon arrival we had a very friendly welcome and were shown to our room, we had room 3 at the back of the Hotel which was very well shaded by the trees at the rear of the premises, given that the weather was extremely hot this was an absolute Godsend!!! Although I initially thought the bed was very soft, we both slept really well and the blinds blocked out enough light to enable my sleep in in the morning ; )

Breakfast in the morning was very good, cereals were on offer, with Fresh Orange, Tea and/or Coffee as well as the English Breakfast, as one of the earlier reviews states it is 1 Rasher of Bacon, 1 Sausage, 1 Egg, Beans, Tomato, Mushrooms with Toast, but it was cooked really well and was very tasty, my wife asked if they could put her egg onto my plate as she is not a fan, not only was this done, but she was even gave an extra rasher of Bacon to compensate.

The following morning we had not realised that breakfast was no longer served after 08:30 and we turned up at 09:00, but it was no problem, breakfast was served with a smile and was just as good as the previous day.

There was no Iron in the room, so I asked at reception and one was provided straight away.

Overall, I would say that this Hotel is very good value, whilst there may be no "Bells and Whistles", the service was impeccable and the facilities were clean and very comfortable, we would certainly stay here again should we visit the area again.

Room Tip: Our room at the back of the Hotel certainly seemed cooler than our friends, who stayed on the first...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve_Flint
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

As a stranger to the area I was a little taken aback by this "hotel" as it was more akin to a large guesthouse. It was good value for money and clean. Unfortunately it's not really suited light sleepers like myself (I'm VERY fussy about this as for me sleep is the No 1 decider on accommodation)

I had a twin room and the beds are pretty small singles (to be fair I am over 6 feet 4 so this may not apply to everyone).

I didn't sample the food.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked this hotel online for one night only as I had an important meeting in the area the next day. I originally booked a double room as a single occupancy. My Fiancé then offered to come with me. So I called the hotel to advise of this. (This was around 5 minutes after). The man who answered the phone, rather half heartedly and inconvenienced by my phone call, said that it wasn't showing on the system but he would sort it. (Very short but not sweet phone call.)
We arrived in the evening after been stuck in traffic and very hungry, to be told by the man checking us in that I had booked a twin room. I advised that this isn't the case and explained back story of the booking. He called his manager who apparently said it he originally spoke to me and did inform me of the twin room. This is not the case, and does not make sense. There was no double rooms available for us to swap to. Tired and hungry, we accepted. What I am most angry with, was the very unmeaningful and weak apology from the man checking us in and the way he kept putting the blame on my. 'Sign here for the twin room YOU booked for.' No, that was NOT the room I booked for!!
The hotel was also very noisy and the blinds in the room not suffient enough so when the sun came up at half 5 that morning, we were awake listening to all the hotel goings on.
At breakfast, we where not given the choice of breakfast. We where given 1 egg, 1 slice of bacon, 1 sausage, a tomato and some beans and toast. Good job we where not vegetarian!! I actually would have preferred something else rather than that but obviously they do not offer some kind of menu.
I am utterly shocked at the service and offended at the way I was treated, my partner actually runs a hotel which we live at and me or him would dream of acting in that manner towards a paying customer.
No doubt the owner will comment something rather rude and not take the criticism like I have seen on prevous feedbacks on this page.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank rachelannwilliams
Andrew M, Owner at Godalming Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Your review is so unfair and not at all true

I have pasted your booking at the bottom.
As it states clearly you booked a twin or a double as single occupancy.

You phoned me to say that you would be bringing a second person with you.
I then upgraded the room to double occupancy. As you booked the very last room available
and it was a twin then that is all I could give you. I seem to remember you were more than happy and grateful that I could do this as it was so last minute, and on the busiest week of the year. There was certainly no fault on our part as you never at any stage booked a double.

Regarding breakfast - we do cater for vegetarians and are happy to taylor the breakfast to different tastes - scrambled eggs, poached eggs are all available - all you need to do is ask.
There are also a choice of 4 cereals as an alternative or an addition to the full English breakfast
As i say on our website

Special Requests
Please let us know and we will try our best

As readers will see from the other reviews my staff get very high scores and lot of complementary comments on ther politeness and level of serviced given. I think this exemplifies why your review is biased, unfair and just wrong

Booking Reference - 9889004548
Arrival Date - Tuesday 9th July, 2013
Departure Date - Wednesday 10th July, 2013
1st Room
(15 Twin)
(name withheld) Twin or Double En-Suite as single occupancy (inc. breakfast) (1 adult) - £65.00
Per Night - 09/07/2013 - £65.00

Travelers are raving about these Godalming hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Booked a Single Room and that is what you get. A Single bed, One Cup, One towel etc. Has been renovated, however the walls are paper thin, and you can hear doors banging Closed. people walking, hairdryers being used, t-v.No AirConditioning etc. If you are a late Riser, this is not for. you . . In my room, there was no phone, radio, alarm clock. However, they do have free WIFI
Ensuite is small, wouldn't want to be a largish person • Staff is wonderful. would definately recommend it if you are a heavy Sleeper. English big brekkie included, l egg, 1/2 tomatoe, 1/2 rasher bacon, baked beans, 2 Slices of toast, Cereal, Orange Juice, Tea / coffee

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Salford Priors, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

A very good price, easy to find on the main road into Guildford. I had a room at the back facing out onto the car park. This is quite small and the road to it, past the side of the hotel is very narrow.
Entry to the hotel is with a timed door, and personal 'key.'
The hotel's entrance is into the breakfast area, with overhead TV. Its bright clean and airy.
The bedroom was in good order, clean, well decorated and maintained with the twin beds I had requested. Usual TV and desk with tea and coffee set up.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful throughout.
Breakfast was serve yourself cereal and juices but the hot food is brought to you, it seems to be freshly cooked. I chose a small portion, but Full English is available.
Bottled water is free.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a small good value for money 'hotel' . I have stayed 4 times now and its aways very clean and the staff really helpful. If you are looking for all the extras a hotel give then this is not the place however if you want a clean, comfortable good value hotel in an excellent location then this is perfect. Parking can be a problem and although you can use next door's car park you have to move your car before 8 am which is a bit of a nuisance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Premier Inn Godalming Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,788 reviews
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Godalming Hotel? Share your experiences!