“very poor quality food at outragous prices.”

The Pheasant Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Wookey
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
somerset
“very poor quality food at outragous prices.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

the reputation we had believed was a restaurant quality italian experience. We were extremely disappointed that we were presented with a 1990's style pub menu, and poor quality food served. We waited beyond an hour for the mains yet only two other tables were in the premises in which one table already had their meal.at the This shows that the Good Food Guide is not worth the paper it's written on. we complained and still paid the full price with restaurant manager not wanting any feedback. This is a shame because their are very few quality food outlets in this area except The Wookey hole inn and The Galleries Inn, Cheddar, which are both excellent. Will never return to this establisment again.

cornwall
“Worst pub meal I've ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

I went to the Pheasant purely on the strength of seeing it on websites such as this as I don't know the area and needed somewhere ok to eat. It was terrible! the Pheasant's own website describes the high quality of its meals which is a complete lie. I had steak pie which, actually was steak stew with a seperately baked triangle of puff pastry stuck on top. My wife had Sea Bass.. I have caught larger pieces of fish in the rock pools where I live! it was cooked with no seasoning and was boring and tasteless and resembled an NHS hospital meal. the steamed veg was virtually raw (I know over cooked veg isn't nice either but this was ridiculous). My daughter had soup with crusty bread.. the crusty bread (with cheap margerine) was so stale it was difficult to bite through and I advised her not to eat it incase it made her ill. My son's salad served with his meal had rotting, slimy bits of lettuce amongst it. At the end of the ordeal/meal, when I (begrudgingly) went to pay at the bar the barman did not even ask me if everything was ok (probably for the best).
Service - non existent.
Atmosphere - Dead, I wonder why!
quality of food - poor. Dont believe their website!
quantity of food - mean. Ate all of mine and was still hungry. Wasn't cheap either, 2 adult mains, 2 kids mains 1 pint & 3 lemonades = £40!
Went away thoroughly disapointed and bought puddings elsewhere.
Pubs such as this should be struck off from these so called "Good pub guides".

Home!
“How things change. . . .”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

I had been to the Pheasant several times when run by Dean & Emma - great welcome, good food. Went there May 2008 and found that it was Italian. Asked if there was any possibility of a table and the english waiter made us feel as if people who turn up without booking are idiots who deserve to be not allowed to eat - no "sorry, we're full", no "there'll be a table in (whatever) would you like to wait". Instead we went to the pig roast in a nearby village and had a great time.
Won't dream of going back until there's new ownership!

1 Thank PeeWee_in_Italy
Bristol
“New owners - What's going on at this place ?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

Having seen some good reports for the above, we decided to visit last Friday lunchtime (24th July 2009)

I phoned to book a table on Thursday evening at 8:35pm and left a message on their answerphone leaving my telephone number and asking them to confirm everything was OK.

Almost an hour went by, and anxious to confirm with our friends, I rang again and this time the phone was answered, I explained about the message I had left, and they confirmed they had a table available.

We arrived promptly at 1 o'clock and were surprised to see the pub was almost empty, we asked for our table and the young man sheepishly directed us to a lady who was dealing with some other customers.

When she finished we repeated our request to which she replied, "Sorry they were not serving food, as the chef couldn't cope"

We were flabbergasted she then went on to say that they had only taken over the pub 2 months ago as if this was some sort of excuse.

I asked why they had taken the booking if this was the case, and why they hadn't telephoned us, as we had made a wasted 70 mile round trip.

No explanation was forthcoming.

Well I must say it was a first for us, and I suppose the moral of the story is to make sure the reviews and recommendations are up to date.

However all was not lost we had an excellent lunch at Goodfellows in the town

3 Thank androidGB
Bristol, England
“Didn't try the Tomato juice or Coke !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

But did try the food and it was exceptional.Italian cooking of the highest order, you may wait a while but the food is quite obviously freshly prepared and cooked to perfection.
The dining room is very pleasant and the service couldn't be faulted. If you are in the Wells area please do take the short drive out to this fine Pub/ Restaurant, and we hope you enjoy your meal as much as we did.

1 Thank caro103