“Great”

Ranked #1 of 1 Wookey Hole B&B and Inns
Bristol
“Great”
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We stayed here primarily for the reputation of fantastic food and we were not disapointed. We had 3 courses and each one was fantasitic, it could not be faulted. The rooms were a good size, clean and comfortable. The pub garden was great int he sunshine. The staff were brilliant, really helpful although at times it did feel like there were not enough of them when it was busy. I would recomend this for a stay.

• Liked — The fit waiter/ barman
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
glos
Reviewed November 26, 2007

Well, just returned from our fourth visit and it was as good as our previous visits!
What my partner and I love about this place is it's funky, laid back vibe. I have read some of the other comments and I agree, the hotel isn't 5 star luxury but I'm glad......with this place, you feel you can really chill out and there isn't the pretentiousness of higher rated hotels!

We've stayed in three differnt rooms and the one in the photos that someone has posted is our twice-visited favourite. The large Jenga is great fun after a few glasses of wine!

There is a vidoe library that you can help yourself to (some old favs'!) and if you do go, take some CDs as there is a CD player in the rooms.

The bathrooms are funky and conatin pieces of art work (as do the bedrooms)

The restraunt food is absolutley divine! I like my food and enjoy the sensation of having my tastebuds tantalised and the food here sure does that! (Shhh, don't tell my fella but male or female, I'd willingly marry the chef!)

Breakfast is left outside your door in a basket....fruit, juice, cereals and a selection of crossiants.

The garden is lovely, but overlooked by the row of houses behind it....again, art is scattered around the garden.

Well, If you fancy something a little different, give it a go. It really is a friendly, laid back place to stay.

• Liked — Laid back, chilled vibe, scattered art, beautiful food, large comfy bed and piping hot shower
  • Disliked — Only staying one night
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chrissy19
Leicester
Reviewed September 13, 2007

Room was a good size and decor was contemporary in design with a funky feel. However, it was shabby, grubby and smelly. The flooring in the hall was black with dirt and smelled terrible. It was also fairly whiffy in the room. Paint was peeling off the wall in several places and holes had been filled but not painted. At 90 quid, with no cooked breakfast, we thought that the room was overpriced.

• Liked — Leaving it.
  • Disliked — The awful smell.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Emma27
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2007

After travelling all day around the south coast my boyfriend and I drove through Wookey Hole trying to find a place to stay, By chance I popped in and they had just had a cancellation, The room was amazing, the meal was absolutely out of this world, Richard, Mick and his team were excellent, we would recommend anyone to visit.
Thanks to all the team for such a pleasant stay.
Natalie and Neil (Saturday 25.08.07)

Stayed August 2007
north east england
Reviewed August 17, 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights in August 2007.We loved it so much we called in to stay again on our way home. The bedroom was comfortable and spacious with a really deep free standing bath. Lots of extras in the room, games C.D. player etc. Lovely large beer garden to the rear. But the icing on the cake was the food which was absolutely first class,easily compared with food we had eaten at the Rick Stein Seafood Restaurant. Well done to all. Unfortunately it isnt as near our home as we would like it to be so we probably wont be able to join you again.
Thanks very much for such a lovely quirky place.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I loved this place, very quirky with lots of character. It's a liitle bit on the shabby side, but I think it's part of it's charm. We were made to feel very welcome, and the staff were very friendly with lots of local advise, and the odd free pint of local scrumpy.

Our room was a good size, all fixtures and fittings looked to be handmade, with a good variety of entertainment, freeview, video, stereo, magazines and books. The bed was comfortable and the shower nice and powerful. The was a range of videos to borrow if you fancied curling up in front of a film with a bottle of wine from the pub downstairs. Tea and coffee were plentiful with a choice of instant or real. We were well supplied with biscuits as well.

Breakfast was left outside your door in the morning, meaning you didn't have to get up in time for breakfast, and you could either eat breakfast in bed, at the table in your room, or weather permitting in the very peaceful pub garden. The food in the restuarant was excellent, although a little pricey. Definately a restaurant not pub grub. Although it can get busy with bookings we were told they always make room for guests.

Lots to do in the area, Wookey Hole Caves across the road, Cheddar Gorge, Glastonbury (climb the Tor if you feel fit), Wells (where they filmed Top Fuzz) to name a few.

A wonderful trip and highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mutletgirl
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2007

I am sorry to have to write something that contrasts with most of the other reviews but I can only tell it as I see it. After reading so many positive reviews my wife and I were looking forward to staying overnight at the Wookey Hole Inn on the way to Cornwall at Easter. I am afraid we were left with a feeling of disappointment.

We found the Wookey Hole Inn to be one small step above being a 'dump' The stairs carpet wasn't merely worn, it had large holes in it ! Everything in our room from the widescreen TV & CD player to the bed & the bathroom fittings were cheap and frankly, poor quality. As for the interior design & decor commented on so positively by other reviewers, my immediate thought was that the whole place could do with a coat of paint. The garden which features on the website was also small and disappointing. I understand that the present owners had not been there long and hopefully they will improve standards sooner rather than later and make no mistake at a hundred pounds a night they should be much higher.On the positive side the hosts were friendly and helpful and the food was good. Would we stay again? Not likely !

• Liked — It had a laid back atmosphere and the hosts were friendly.
  • Disliked — It did not live up to the reviews in Trip Advisor
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HowlinWilf
#2 of 37 in Wells
Worth House
Worth House
#11 of 37 in Wells

Been to The Wookey Hole Inn? Share your experiences!