“Worth visiting”
Review of Wookey Hole Caves

Wookey Hole Caves
More attraction details
Owner description: A series of caves that sheltered Stone Age people.
Reviewed November 1, 2009

I have just returned from spending Halloween at Wookey Hole Caves and we didn't find it as bad as some of the reveiws. The caves are beautiful, they are a little cold and slippery but nothing that my 3 year old couldn't handle, we travelled in a party of 7, four adults and 3 children between the ages of 3 and 14. We did also find it hard to hear the guide as we walked through, but if you purchase the souvenir book (2.00 from the gift shop and 3.50 from the ticket office) you can read all about the history of the caves. When the cave tour ended and we were in a dinosour/fairy garden it was a little strange but the kids loved it and on a beautiful day would of been ideal to have used to eat your picnic. There are not that many things to keep you entertained, as the activites are quite random and dont really fit within the theme of the caves, but are worth a look. The children in the big top theatre are amazing, dont listen to any of the reviews that say otherwise, the children work very hard and although sometimes you can see they have little hiccups they are very talented, and so did the theatre full of people clapping think so too. This is not an attraction that I can say that I would do again, but it is worth doing especially if you can go on themed times, which are advertised on their website. As the children got in for half price because they were dressed in their halloween costumes. Also if you shop at Tesco you can use Tesco Clubcard deals as money off entry. The only thing that I was a little dissapointed with was there wasn't much halloween decoration, there was not a pumpkin in sight.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,239)

Reviewed September 24, 2009

Took my partner here to show her the caves as i remeber them being pretty good from around 20 years ago when i was a kid. The caves themselves are still really beautiful and the illuminations that have been put in really enhance the place.
The lights they use for the tour are at times a little tacky but still good fun.

Its a great place to visit the trouble is that from the moment you pay to get in you feel a little bit ripped off. 15 pounds for adults is a bit much for only 25 - 30 mins of the caves and i agree with other posters about the dinosaurs and fairys.. it all seems a bit left-filed on why they are there. The diving equipment is there to illustrate the history of exploring the caves but again whats with the circus and arcade?

It seems to be stuck in the 1980s in regards to other attractions there. As for the hotel, i have no idea why its not like they are reinvesting the money into the caves, its just a money spinner for them.

Anyway i digress, Caves themselves get a 9 out of 10 but everything else a 4. Would i recommend it? Difficult to say, purely on the caves ill say yes.

Reviewed August 23, 2009

45 pounds for a family ticket for 2 adults and two children
looking at the brochure it looked good with loads of things to do.
we queued up for the caves and were in within 10 minutes, considering this is peak season that was not bad.
the caves were good but were ushered thou in 20 minutes.
then what a let down. all the other activity's were rubbish , the dinosaur valley was as big as my garden! the history of the circus took all but 2 minutes to look at, the paper making 2 minutes, and all the other little things no more than 2 minutes each. the circus itself was a load of kids who kept falling over, we walked out!
then it was over literally one and a half hours !!!!why they are building a hotel for the caves i have no idea
we left feeling totally conned of our money

5  Thank William S
Reviewed August 21, 2009

I think that some of the reviews are a bit pessimistic. Yes, it is rather pricey to get in, but you can get 15% discount by booking on their website and you can also avoid the ticket office queue by collecting your advance tickets from the adjacent ice cream parlour.

The actual caves are very impressive; over 1M years old, they claim. The numerous coloured lights inside, enhance the place and add atmosphere. My grand-daughter absolutely loved it and the other attractions which, to be fair, are aimed at kids.

And you don't have to buy any food or drink - take your own! I saw families at picnic tables doing exactly that. Coffee is indifferent and v. pricey at £1.70 for a small cup. Try having lunch instead at the nearby Wells branch of 'Ask', the Italian restaurant. Very good and, with a 2 for 1 voucher from myvouchercodes, excellent value.

And, judging by the snake-like queue for full priced tickets, Wookey Hole remains a big attraction.

Reviewed August 17, 2009

Every other place we have visited during our break allowed my wife who is registered disabled concessionary entry (Longleat & Cheddar Gorge). I should explain that she has had 2 operations on her spine as a sufferer of Degenerative Disc Disease, a fusion and nylon cages where her discs used to be. This causes much pain when walking. When asking for the concession the attendant asked on what basis. We produced proof of her entitlement and was told "but she's walking so we can't give you a discount". I was totally flabberghasted and extremely angry with their attitude of "it's company policy, if you can go into the cave then you pay full price". I would be interested in knowing if you were blind if they would have the same reaction. The witch wasn't even there for the day we went. We walked away and visited Cheddar Gorge, which turned out far better in the end. Wookey Hole looked "tacky" and I wouldn't ever return on principle.

3  Thank Fungler