“Good value for money”
Review of Wookey Hole Caves

Wookey Hole Caves
More attraction details
Owner description: A series of caves that sheltered Stone Age people.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Decided to visit Wookey after spending the morning at Cheddar Gorge and personally I preferred Wookey.

It is very geared up for children but was still very entertaining. The caves were more stunning and our guide was very good too.

Something for everyone here and the staff were all very friendly and helpful

Write a ReviewReviews (3,379)
All reviews
in 599 reviews
"maze"
in 437 reviews

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Having visited Wookey Hole as a child, I decided to return with my husband and kids (7 and 2). Husband is keen on caves, and kids are used to being dragged to all sorts of different places. Having stayed at the Wookey Hole Hotel (see separate review) we were able to be in the queue just after 10am buying our tickets. We had had the foresight to use Tesco vouchers for admission, therefore only had to pay a few pounds. The site makes good use of the buildings it has, with your 'experience' starting at the caves and ending in the mill.

The cave tour is interesting - middle of the road stuff, some legend, some fact, some lights - you'll never please everyone with tours and to be honest I thought this covered all bases well. My only grumbles would be that the groups were verging on the big side, and also maybe it was a bit scary to begin with (one child in our group burst into tears and had to be reassured by mum it was all ok). I would've liked the opportunity to see a map of the caves at the exit or some other information, particularly as there isn't really the opportunity to question the tour guide.

After the caves, there is a winding path down to mill, through a strange little 'fairy garden' (seemed so small and insignificant that I confess I didn't take much notice if this) and into the dinosaur land. They don't move, but I can reassure you that little kids are impressed with dinosaurs regardless. The mill space is well utilised - yes, it does seem a bit disjointed, but it is well maintained throughout. The circus exhibition is good as is the diving museum - the short film is worth watching, just to see the crazy people who go cave diving - though the paper making seems a bit insignificant. Don't miss the Wookey Hole through the ages exhibition, with the 'witch' skeleton, but don't linger too long in the cafe. The smell of cooking fat gets into everything.

I remembered the Penny Arcade from my last visit here, and this seems to have been given a nice makeover too, to look like a pier. The shop is a bit naff, full of the usual tat. Having visited mills elsewhere, I know the potential for such old buildings to become basically abandoned warehouses, so in one way it's nice to see that this mill hasn't been abandoned and is being maintained. However, on the other, I agree with sentiments expressed by other reviewers, who ask why so many different themes? Pirates are cool at the moment, but what is the Wookey Hole link? Options to eat are limited to Captain Jack's restaurant (canteen style, smells of chip fat - but brightly decorated) and there are plenty of distractions for kids.

It's not a terribly educational attraction, though it does try. As a jack of all trades-type place to go, you can happily kill a few hours here. It is clean throughout and will keep you entertained if you don't think about it all too much!

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I went here a few years ago, the caves are beautiful as are the grounds, the only thing I didn't like was having to do the tour as a group, I like to look at things in my own time & get photos & due to the groups being quite large it can feel crowded & rushed in places. The garden areas are nice & the mini golf a must to me though its a bit pricey considering to me it's not a full day activity

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I'm sorry to do such a negative review but this trip was quite a shock.

We drove for 2 hours to get to Wookey Hole Caves expecting great things. We are a family of 4 - 2 adults, a 4 year old and a baby.
Firstly, this attraction is expensive. Luckily we had a 50% off coupon so we didn't waste as much money as we could have.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is the mish mash of dated themes. From Pirates to Clowns to Paper Making to Penny Arcades to Dinosaurs to King Kong to Fairies and finally, the Caves.
All of it is confusing, tired and in several places quite creepy!

The restaurant had a Pirate theme, there was an over powering stench of fried food. The food options were poor and unhealthy.

The main building itself had no flow and again stank of fried food (I'm not exaggerating, it really is so strong). The clown/circus section was creepy and tired. Most of the penny arcade wasn't working and was disappointing as was the paper making.
Outside there was more circus related paraphernalia which lead to the GIANT dinosaurs and King Kong. I can't begin to describe what a blot these are on a beautiful landscape.
The fairy garden was another disappointment - a couple of statues I could barely see in the distance (you can't walk through it).

My 4 year old seemed as confused as we were. There is nothing for the children to do or take part in apart from a small, dark soft play area in the smelly main building.

The positives? The caves were brilliant (this takes about 30 mins so is a small part of the day) and their cheese and ice cream were delicious.

What I find most frustrating is that this place COULD be something special.
Scrap all the themes and remove the dinosaurs - it really isn't needed in such a gorgeous area and has nothing to do with the caves themselves.

Maybe make a bigger deal of the caves and it's history, have a walkthrough garden you can actually enjoy and an outside play area that actually fits in with the surroundings (the owl and otter sanctuary in the new forest is good for natural looking play area inspiration), and the restaurant could do with some TLC.

We won't be going back here.

1  Thank Lepetitmanoir