Wookey Hole Hotel
The Wookey Hole Inn(Wookey Hole)
TripAdvisor
1,134 results
All reviewssuperior family roomthe sofa bedcave tourcircus showfamily friendly hotelcaptain jackswitches hatcheddar gorgecrazy golfcooked breakfastthe hotel is cleangood sizehalf termhotel restaurantbudget hotelpremier innfull english
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Great little hotel. Signs a bit confusing - thought it was an attraction at first due to the choice of font, then realised it was the hotel. It was late at night too, so that didn't help.
Check in was quick and easy. Breakfast, we decided to get the continental option, and that was fairly normal.
Room was well heated, but didn't have climate control, so ended up being quite hot overnight as I turned the control up too high.
Shower and bath were super clean.
An opinionated hotel staff member at breakfast was about the only downside to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I have stayed here 3 times now, the last being in December. It is exactly the same as a premier inn really if you don't stay in the higher priced rooms however I discovered the luxury family room on my second visit and booked it specifically for my third. It is the only room in the hotel with the balcony and this room is awesome! Still on a premier inn specification but the closed in balcony area was warm enough for my kids to eat their breakfast on in December (porridge pots). I have eaten food there twice, after an hours wait the first time we visited the local chip shop in Wells for the second visit and tried it again for the third. Wait was still really long considering it was only 2 kids meals, my meal and there was only one other man eating there at the same time. I have never attempted breakfast there and never would as I think it is ridiculously overpriced and not very good quality food but saying that I know that the staff there really are trying their best and are doing the best job possible.

If I was running it then I would be providing the little extras such as hot chocolate, biscuits and toiletries just to elevate it slightly but saying that I am sure they do not really need to do much about it as it is such a tourist trap. I had a fantastic cheeseboard last December!

Another positive is that it really is very very clean and although this is a lot to do with the hotel being new and fresh looking I have stayed in 4 rooms in total and each has been of an exceptionally high standard.

I really do like this hotel and will definitely be returning at least twice this year. Wi fi is horrendous though so if you are really needing to be somewhere with internet access for work this would definitely frustrate you no end.

To sum it up as I feel I have written a lot of negatives, this is the ideal place to go as a family if you are exploring the caves or the surrounding areas. Evening meal is not terrible just a bit bland and really long waiting times which is hard with young kids. I have fallen in love with the whole area and always visit Glastonbury when I stay and the hotel is great for this as it is closer than you think. Wells is lovely and is a really short distance away so if you wanted to eat out and have a few drinks then i definitely think it would be cheap enough to have a taxi from and back to the hotel.

If they can sort out the food issue, the wi fi niggles and possibly provide some other things in the rooms (aforementioned biscuits, hot choc etc.) then this hotel would be outstanding for its price bracket.

Room Tip: The luxury family room with the balcony is well worth it if you get a good deal via laterooms.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BJP13
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is one of those places that you just know will be nice eventualy. My room was huge but devoid of almost any atmosphere. Very little to break up the plain walls.
Breakfast didnt exist as they said there wasnt enough geusts so they hadnt bothered ? I WAS THERE !!
I know they were in the middle of introducing new things to the menu and other things to the hotel so it would be interesting to go back.
Special mention has to go to the free wifi connection, IT SUCKS REALLY BAD, no strength at all.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2012

After reading some reviews we were expecting to put up with some downsides. We booked a half term break (2 adults and 2 children 6 and 18 months). When we arrived the staff were very friendly and answered any questions we had. The room was a Superior Family with a view of a grass field. The room was very spacious and the travel cot we had requested was there on arrival. The room was spotless (including the bathroom) and as mentioned the shower was excellent. It would compare favorably with a new Premier Inn. Due to the hotel not being full, you ate in the hotel. The menu was good and the portions were huge. The only downside (hence 4 stars) was the service. 45 minutes for our evening meal and 30 mins for our cooked breakfast to arrive. When it did arrive the food was good for the money. Prices were pub prices (between 7 and 15 pounds for a main. Would we stay again? Yes

Room Tip: Room 55 was very quiet
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dangerousdavew
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Cynontaf

You gain very little by staying at the hotel, the rooms are clean and suitable. That is where it ends the the breakfast is poor, toast you make yourself, but there is only one toaster, and the standard cereal. If you want a cooked breakfast you have to pay extra. The eating experiance is a self serivce/canteen event, the evening meal is very poor in choose. My partner being a vegetarian, could have the standard nut cluster all weekend. In not very good surrounds. Next time I will be staying at a differnt hotal in a central location for the area, so I can take in other local attractions.
Staying for the weekend you get your voucher for the attractions from the reception. Staying for two days I decidedd to do the caves one day and the attraction the second (Winter wonder land). However the system they use you only get your vouchers all for the same day, So you can't plan our two days stay.
I must say, you have to see the circus school show. This is the gem of the whole attraction. My daughters (5 and 8 yrs)watched it twice and never took their eyes off it. Get into the show early as the seating is full fairly early and is full for each show. I'd have no issues of going to see the show for a third time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family