“Great selection and great food”
Review of Wookey Hole Inn

Wookey Hole Inn
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Went here for a business lunch. We sat outside as the sun was shining for a change.

The menu had a great selection of gastro-pub type fayre - the sort of food I enjoy eating. Not priced too badly - but not cheap. You don't mind paying £10 for lunch if its nice, fresh and well cooked. This was all 3 of those things.

Would definitely go again.

Also tried to eat here the night before but they stopped serving at 9pm and I arrived at 9:05pm (its a very small village so I guess things close earlier than I am used to). I was a little miffed about this - but am glad I still went back the next day.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Loved this place. Service was very efficient and friendly. Food was a little on the expensive side and there could have been a little more choice. However, there is not much in the area, unless you wish to drive. We enjoyed it very much and thought the crayons in a tub on the table was an excellent idea as adults could enjoy doodling on the paper table cloth whilst waiting between courses.

1  Thank Melanie D
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My family and i went to the wookey hole inn to celebrate my mums birthday and what a lovely celebration it was. When we arrived we were pleasantly greeted by the staff who then showed us to our table in which they had decorated it with happy birthday. The food .....WOW we all went for different options and was all equally amazed by the presentation that had gone into it. To start i had tiger prawns (too good to choose anything else) main i had the fillet of beef which was beautiful (i asked for a steak knife and was told i wouldn't need one) she was right !!! Unfortunate i couldn't fit pudding in but will be sure to go back to try one.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We used to love this place. Has it changed hands? Was it just a bad night with a relief chef and staff?

First the food: I had Chicken Schnitzel. The 'Schnitzel' were massive thick wedges of chicken breast covered in a very greasy breadcrumb. These were stacked next to a large fatty wedge of 'Rosti' dripping with butter. Underneath all of this was a pile of boiled(?) cabbage that reminded me of school dinners. The dish was finished off with a fluorescent orange sauce that tasted very processed. I would not have minded if this was just pub grub at a sensible price but this was £17.95! At that price I felt ripped off.

The service: Ok I guess we were just unlucky but our waitress was grumpy before we even sat down. My wife pointed out that the paper table cloth was soaking wet and the waitress asked her if she had spilt something even though we had only just sat down and had no drinks! She grumpily agreed to replace the table cloth removing the old one and placing a fresh one down on the still wet table!

So sad as this used to be a great place full of vitality and good quality food. It might be a better bet for lunch when I think the prices are much lower but judging by our experience this time there is no way the prices are justified. Wells now has many excellent restaurants serving way better food at the same or lower prices.

Sadly we will not be back.

1  Thank Bill N
Reviewed April 6, 2014

It's been a long time since we visited the WHI and it's not the place itusd to be. Tables were squashed together and the service quite slow. The food was quite mediocre we all had chicken schnitzel vey over priced. Perhaps we should have tried different dishes to have a better sample. However the restaurant was very busy so just not the right place for us

2  Thank Annie R