“Never fails”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Have been going to this restaurant for family celebrations for years, it never fails to deliver. Fantastic food and atmosphere !

There are newer reviews for Wookey Hole Inn

Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

After a long time we revisited this pub tonight and had a thoroughly excellent meal. Local real ales plus well kept German and Belgian weissbiers supplemented a really good meal: fillet steaks cooked to perfection, properly hand cut chips, lemon sole served with brown shrimp butter (delicious), children's pasta and chicken dishes. Additional side salads plus potato wedges seemed to be no problem despie not being on the menu and were reasonably priced.

Deserts included an excellent date and pecan pie, wonderful blackcurrant sorbet and a great local cheeseboard served with homemade oat and sesame crackers.

Heartily recommended!.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Good ciders, sheltered garden at the back with a few fine specimen ragworts the only down side. Lunch was very good and my companion's lemon soul with shrimps was first class. Interesting wine list with a good Riesling from Plantagenet down in Mount Barker W.A. Would certainly recommend it and go back.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Firstly, I've been to this pub many times before over many years, sometimes for drinks, sometimes for food. The atmosphere has always been nice, drinks good and food tasty and well presented (although very expensive). However, after tonight I won't be in a rush to go back.

I bought a beer (Hoegaarden to be precise) which is also one of my favourite beers and therefore one I have had many times before. It cost me £4.70 (or there abouts) so I wasn't too hesitant to send it back when my first pint came out extremely sour and undrinkable. They said they had just changed the barrel and my second should be fine. This was also really sour. I took this back again and was really apologetic as I hate to cause a fuss, but the landlord looked at me as if I were stupid, tasted it himself, insisted it was fine and sent me on my way, £4.70 down, with an undrinkable beer. I left the pub feeling ill from forcing down nearly half a pint of sour beer (I wanted to believe the sourness was 'from the lemon' - but the odd fizziness and undrinkability definitely couldn't have been).

Bad experience of a place I used to like. If you're looking for a drink, join the locals and go to the Wookey Hole Club, 100m further up the road.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We had a wonderful meal at the Wookey Hole Inn, before venturing through the cave itself. The welcome we received was excellent from the landlady and food was very good.