“Wedding, Feb 2013”
Review of Banwell Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banwell
Banwell Castle
Ranked #2 of 2 Banwell B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We held our wedding reception at the castle and were very happy with our day. Most of our guests stayed in the castle, and the feedback we got from them was very positive. Our room (bridal suite) was amazing... very nice bed and decor, and a great place to stay. The interior of the castle has to be seen to be believed...

The event itself was hosted by Carmino who was helpful, professional and organised. We were in the gatehouse for this. A lot of venues charge you through the nose for little changes and additions, but at Banwell Castle they aren't like that at all- for example, we got married soon after Valentine's Day and Carmino gave us a whole load of free flowers that they had brought in for the day and were still in good condition.

Overall, if you are looking for something a bit quirky with a personal touch, but also efficient and professional then this is the place for you! We had a great time, and it was actually cheaper than if we'd done it at some soul destroying travel tavern...

Room Tip: Ask to look first! Though I think they're all good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were excited for weeks about visiting Banwell and we certainly weren't disappointed. As soon as we arrived William made us feel at home and said we were free to explore the castle and grounds. He was also very helpful in recommending places to go in the village and surrounding area. We stayed in a four-poster bedroom, number 6, and it was just perfect - so romantic and keeping with the age of the building. From our bed we could see peacocks sitting on the turrets in the sunset and it was such a peaceful and relaxing break away from the modern world. I don't really understand why people are complaining on here, this is a castle so if you want all mod-cons and everything to be clinical, why come here? The whole point in being here is to experience going back in time and seeing what it would have been like to have lived in a castle. We stayed at the beginning of March and the room was not cold as some people have described (anyway, what do you expect from a building with its original windows and no double glazing?) - but there was plenty of warm, heavy bedding and an electric heater, although we didn't really need to use it. Breakfast the next morning was very enjoyable with lots of toast, fruit, pastry and cereals available, and William kindly cooked me a large vegetarian fry as well. He made us feel very welcome and we were not forced out at any time either the next day, which was lovely. The grounds are spectacular and the castle itself is beautiful both inside and out. THANK YOU for a perfect, romantic getaway... we will be back! :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bmxbex
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had our wedding here in 2009. Both sets of parents stayed here the night before, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our wedding ceremony and initial reception was staged by the Gatehouse, and I'll write a separate review for that! As for Banwell Castle... it has stunning grounds and makes for a perfectly English cream tea experience. We have been back time and time again, and highly recommend it. Banwell Castle also makes a perfect backdrop for your wedding!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2012

While it is a couple of years since I stayed at the Castle, I have lovely memories of the whole wonderful experience. My husband booked Banwell Castle as a surprize for me in our 6 week trip back to Europe. We were the only guests staying there at the time so we had the whole place to ourselves. William was busy vacuuming when we arrived and he told us to pick any room we wanted. I found the castle to be spotless so couldn't understand why other folk are complaining in their reviews.
This is an old quaint English Castle, it’s not the Hilton where staff are tripping over you and giving you no privacy.
This is an English Man’s home and he has opened his doors to give people like us the opportunity to see what it’s like to live in a real castle.
We enjoyed our stay there and food was more than plentiful.
I hope one day we get to travel back and stay in Banwell Castle again.

P Jackson

Room Tip: All rooms are just grand.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Whilst not perfect (TV reception, plumbing) - we found this castle stay just as we expected it to be. The building is decorated and furnished in keeping with its age, and having booked their "four-poster" room we were pleased to find we also had a small private balcony overlooking the valley towards the Mendips. Whilst the bathroom needed some attention (wallpaper peeling etc), it was clean and well supplied with towels and toiletries. Personally I would have preferred a shower to a bath but that's just me...
The four poster bed was comfortable and the room was warm and welcoming. A full breakfast in the dining room, with peacocks at the terrace window, was interesting!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We loved our stay at barnwell castle! We stayed in a lovely room bedroom with a 4 poster bed, and a fold out bed was provided for my son. The whole place Really did make me feel like a princess for my birthday and we will hopefully get to visit again in the future. Breakfast was also good. Lovely range of cereal, fruit, yoghurt and a cooked breakfast. We were all thoroughly pleased.

I have seen other reviews and wasn't sure before about booking in for the night but I found that the only things that you may be able to complain about are what you should expect when staying in an OLD CASTLE! It may be slightly colder (extra heater was provided and not needed) and the pipes may be louder then what you're used to, so if you don't like that sort of thing you should maybe find a newly built hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Stacey198610
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. The owner does everything himself which I do admire, however his people skills could do with improving. The castle is set in gorgeous surroundings and it's very picturesque. Be warned that there is no bar in the hotel although he will get you alcohol from the gatehouse restaurant, which, by the way is not open every night (we were there at the weekend). For the price we paid (£100 per night for a family room) I thought it was extremely expensive for the standard of the accommodation and I would not return. It's very much b&b standard rather than a hotel.
As for the wedding set up, it was a very 'mickey mouse' affair by the venue. Mid-late September & the restaurant manager won't put the patio heaters on as he didnt have enough gas but we were expected to stay outside, everyone was freezing! If it was my wedding I'd be requesting a refund!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
carmin0, Owner at Banwell Castle, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

We are pleased to hear you found the castle to be GORGEOUS & PICTURESQUE but not worth the cost of staying to enjoying the ambiance of our home.
The castle is not a HOTEL, it offers guest BED AND BREAKFAST ONLY.
The Gatehouse, within the castle grounds which is independently operated and offers pre booked meals in the dining room and tailored weddings.
The wedding was tailored to the requirements of the couple who invited you; it was staged just how they wanted it.
You demanded I put on a patio heater at 3pm that had not been hired by the couple and being stored away. You did not have to stay in the court yard there were two indoor rooms for the guests to enjoy.
The couple were more than happy with their wedding they had arranged

Been to Banwell Castle? Share your experiences!